Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is there any talk of getting a new jumbotron/sound system in lane?

This topic has probably already been beat to death but man that thing is dated. I go to a lot of Wake Forest games and I get very jealous when i see how nice theirs is. Is there plans to expand the north endzone? Is that a factor in the reasons to wait on a new scoreboard/jumbotron?

Quote Originally Posted by 05hokie05 View Post
    This topic has probably already been beat to death but man that thing is dated. I go to a lot of Wake Forest games and I get very jealous when i see how nice theirs is. Is there plans to expand the north endzone? Is that a factor in the reasons to wait on a new scoreboard/jumbotron?
    Prepare to be lambasted.
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." Ronald Reagan

great.....i should have known

Not by anyone that matters. Nor are there talks of NEZ expansion by anyone remotely involved with the VTAD. The topic has indeed been beaten to death, but still gets more mentions, on the internet. Jim Weaver has repeated ad nauseum that the scoreboard will not be replaced unless some donor wants to buy one. Not contribute towards one, but BUY one. As to the north end zone fantasies of expanding (to allow us to compare to SEC teams), there are zero plans. Scores of reasons, but here are the two most simple - too many other facilities for sports other than football need to be constructed prior to that, and the number of seats added v. the expense makes it prohibitive.

We've made a lot of big changes:

West Side, South Side, New Field (tray system), new locker rooms, indoor facility on the way, etc.

However, a new system is needed for audio and video.

Tennessee's is AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVT View Post
    We've made a lot of big changes:

West Side, South Side, New Field (tray system), new locker rooms, indoor facility on the way, etc.

However, a new system is needed for audio and video.

Tennessee's is AWESOME
    I never said it wasn't needed, I just repeated what Jim Weaver has said dozens of times, and people on here choose to ignore, because they envy SEC facilities, like the one you pictured, for example. Exactly like I stated in my original post - it's all about SEC envy.

I think a new scoreboard IS needed, but after hearing Jim Weaver (virtually) say he's tired of the question because the answer isn't changing, I get the message. I don't understand why others don't. It's a topic on here at least on a monthly basis, so pleading ignorance of the subject would mean you never visit TSL, and I don't think that's the real excuse.

Yeah I don't understand the decision to neglect the video/sound system. The one we have is 12 years old. That's ancient in electronic terms. Much smaller/less successful schools have much better A/V setups. I can understand it not being TOP priority but it seems like it should be on the list and not "if someone wants to specifically cut a check for it".

Quote Originally Posted by crooked road View Post
    I never said it wasn't needed, I just repeated what Jim Weaver has said dozens of times, and people on here choose to ignore, because they envy SEC facilities, like the one you pictured, for example. Exactly like I stated in my original post - it's all about SEC envy.

I think a new scoreboard IS needed, but after hearing Jim Weaver (virtually) say he's tired of the question because the answer isn't changing, I get the message. I don't understand why others don't. It's a topic on here at least on a monthly basis, so pleading ignorance of the subject would mean you never visit TSL, and I don't think that's the real excuse.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you or trying to prove you wrong. I was just saying that a lot of investment has been made, but a new system is needed.

I don't think it is SEC envy either (not for me anyway). My wife went to UT, so I've been to a couple of games. I was blown away by the scoreboard.

Lane definitely needs one. I brought a couple of friends to a game last year and they were really excited about seeing the intro. It was a bit of a letdown for them because it was a lot quieter than they thought it'd be.

Things like that are usually funded by a major contribution or a corporate sponsor. I don't know about Wake but South Carolina's new board was 6.5 million. You know any rich donors or companies with some funds to throw around?
    Jim Weaver is on record as saying that any stadium expansion will be funded by premium seat sales. Since not all of the existing club seats are sold it looks like expansion is down the road.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Weaver is afraid that if he gives in on this to the radical fringe element of Hokie fans, next thing we'll demand is a retractable roof. You have to draw the line somewhere.