Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Duke, Wake, it all seems so hopeless. The ACC won't ever be able to rely on these schools to pull up the conference, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by padre pupitre View Post
    I went to the Duke-WF game in 2011, I'm almost embarrassed to admit. There were maybe 18000 people there. One interesting thing was how few WF fans were there, given the proximity. Anyway, my point is that even though it may seem Cutliffe hasn't really improved anything as a football team/program, I think there is some improvement, although it may not be obvious, and he is probably the voice of reason concerning the potential financial gains of a successful football program. As someone else said, once Coach K retires, they may find themselves holding nothing in their hand, and if you are going to make a push for improvement, you need to do so while Coach K is still there and Duke is a known quantity, because of basketball. I would like them to improve. I want everyone in the ACC to improve. But Duke has the potential, if they can change the attitude and perception of their fan base. Duke was just another team for the most part before Coach K arrived and they could be one after he is gone. On the other hand, WF is probably destined for football mediocrity because of such a small alumni base. Sorry if I rambled a bit.
    When Coach K retires, they'll either promote one of his assistants to HC or find a big name coach who'll demand a huge salary. If they go with an assistant (which appears to be their present intentions) then they can put more money into the football program. If they end up signing some coach who wants Coach K-type money ($5 million+ per season), then that will be less money for football.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The Presidents vote who gets in and the ACC Presidents cares about academics first...so whomever it will be, it will be a strong academic school.

I would take Penn State or Texas, but my dark horse in the race is Navy. However ESPN and timing will play a big part in who comes to the ACC.

PS If ND will join football because of Navy joining...it will be Navy. The TV money for getting ND will be huge.
    Again, I don't see how it's possible that Navy could join as a full ACC member for the same reason that Air Force announced zero interest in the Big XII--because their non-revenues would literally get humiliated in game after game. The military academies have no need or desire to join the major conferences--they have the full financial support of the U.S. federal government and only play sports as an afterthought. It's not even likely that Navy would accept an invite to play in the ACC. I doubt Navy would even want to play in the ACC as a football-only member.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful Hokie View Post
    Again, I don't see how it's possible that Navy could join as a full ACC member for the same reason that Air Force announced zero interest in the Big XII--because their non-revenues would literally get humiliated in game after game. The military academies have no need or desire to join the major conferences--they have the full financial support of the U.S. federal government and only play sports as an afterthought. It's not even likely that Navy would accept an invite to play in the ACC. I doubt Navy would even want to play in the ACC as a football-only member.
    Agreed. I don't think Navy in the ACC works on many levels. If the only reason to make them a part of the league is to make the ND-Navy football game a league game, then what's the point? I don't see why even ND would want that. Navy would just make the ACC weaker in all sports, because they can't compete, and a weaker ACC doesn't benefit any members.

You Would Rue the Day You Got in Bed with Texas

Their avarice and greed ruined the old Southwest Conference and they are well on their way to ruining the Big XII. Texas is not going to join anything that they cannot control and if you allow them into the ACC they will control it too at the expense of the other members. For your own good don't even consider Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by LSU Tiger View Post
    Their avarice and greed ruined the old Southwest Conference and they are well on their way to ruining the Big XII. Texas is not going to join anything that they cannot control and if you allow them into the ACC they will control it too at the expense of the other members. For your own good don't even consider Texas.
    I definitely agree that Texas is unlikely--highly unlikely--to join the ACC. But once a team (not named Notre Dame) joins the ACC then they are just one of the pack. Same voting and revenue rights.

You gave preferential treatment to Notre Dame so why not give it again for Texas? The Longhorns have a man crush on the Irish and would do just about anything to be in the same conference with them. But I'm telling you to not do it.

Arkansas begged to get into the SEC just to get away from Texas and then when SMU received the death penalty it was all over for the Southwest Conference. Missouri and Texas A&M didn't exactly beg to join us, but they surely wanted to live in a different conference than Texas.

Texas as an equal member would be an asset to any conference, but Texas being Texas they will never agree to anything equitable. Just last year (or maybe it was the year before) Texas and Oklahoma were lifting their skirts for the PAC Whatever. They were told thanks, but no thanks, because Texas, with OU parroting what they said, wanted to dictate the terms of their acceptance.

I don't care what television or other revenues Texas would bring to your conference I am suggesting that you to tell them to have a nice day.
    Last edited by LSU Tiger; Mon Sep 24 2012 at 08:47 PM.

So many sports fans DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE ACC period. In the ACC the University Presidents and the commissioner are the only ones ENGAGED in expansion. They look at the national portfolio of the academics, Research and athletic programs the school sponsors. No ACC AD leads this discussion. This throws the ESPN gurus and football across america for a spin. ANd with the endowment that the acc schools own, they don't have to answer to anyone. The president's are very pleased with the the plans including Notre dame. They are only interested in discussions with academic institutions with good footprint nice suite of total sports and media. This means no Texas, no Louisivlle Cincinnati no Navy. no UCONN. The best schools for consideration is first Penn State (but very difficult) or rutgers. But there is NO rush......Therefore there is really no need for any discussion of expansion right now.

The university presidents don't really care about what ESPN or any sports fan care. Duke is a great academic institution, sponsor great number of sports, as do Wake. For the ACC that is great. So any sport fans better forget it to judge the ACC, they really dont care.
    u
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Duke, Wake, it all seems so hopeless. The ACC won't ever be able to rely on these schools to pute conference, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    So many sports fans DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE ACC period. In the ACC the University Presidents and the commissioner are the only ones ENGAGED in expansion. They look at the national portfolio of the academics, Research and athletic programs the school sponsors. No ACC AD leads this discussion. This throws the ESPN gurus and football across america for a spin. ANd with the endowment that the acc schools own, they don't have to answer to anyone. The president's are very pleased with the the plans including Notre dame. They are only interested in discussions with academic institutions with good footprint nice suite of total sports and media. This means no Texas, no Louisivlle Cincinnati no Navy. no UCONN. The best schools for consideration is first Penn State (but very difficult) or rutgers. But there is NO rush......Therefore there is really no need for any discussion of expansion right now.
    Texas is one of the top academic universities in the nation. Not sure why you're labeling them as lowly. They are ranked higher than us.