Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    Duke COULD compete if everything went right for them. Stanford competes in the Pac12. Northwestern competes in the B1G. Hell, Baylor is now competitive in the Big12 and Vandy is competing in the SEC. Duke just hasn't made the level of commitment to their football program that they need to....but they COULD. nothing is holding dook football back but dook. the money and brand name is there.
    Maybe Duke can hire Steve Spurrier again.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    so it's only $75M in football stadium upgrades...i guess HH was right.
    They haven't raised the money yet. That's just a goal. Even so, doesn't seem like they should be trying to add 10,000 seats when they can hardly fill their current capacity.

The Presidents vote who gets in and the ACC Presidents cares about academics first...so whomever it will be, it will be a strong academic school.

I would take Penn State or Texas, but my dark horse in the race is Navy. However ESPN and timing will play a big part in who comes to the ACC.

PS If ND will join football because of Navy joining...it will be Navy. The TV money for getting ND will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The Presidents vote who gets in and the ACC Presidents cares about academics first...so whomever it will be, it will be a strong academic school.

I would take Penn State or Texas, but my dark horse in the race is Navy. However ESPN and timing will play a big part in who comes to the ACC.

PS If ND will join football because of Navy joining...it will be Navy. The TV money for getting ND will be huge.
    Sounds great, but could the BE survive if we took another member (Navy)?

PSU would be my "dream pick." Despite of it's recent troubles, I would rather have them as a full member of the ACC than any other school other than ND (and I'm not sure I wouldn't take them over ND...it's that close).

Not a big fan of inviting Big-TX. They are the single disruptive member in the Big-12, and no one really liked being in the same conference with them.

Navy probably wouldn't be a great fit for the ACC, or any other "all sport BCS conference." Don't see them being very competitive due to their built in recruiting disadvantages. Don't get me wrong, would be very happy with them as a member but don't see it happening.

I'm thinking Rutsgers would be #16, if the Big-1X doesn't snap them up first. Rutsgers would be a good addition for them to expand their BTN revenue in NJ. That's a whole lot of cash up for grabs, and if the ACC ever wants to build something similar, Rutsgers is probably the best choice.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful Hokie View Post
    They haven't raised the money yet. That's just a goal. Even so, doesn't seem like they should be trying to add 10,000 seats when they can hardly fill their current capacity.
    Agreed, I don't get that part. Maybe they should focus on indoor plumbing first.

Stanford recruits in a state with over 50 million residents. And if you've ever seen Stanford's campus, and the surrounding area, you'd agree that they've got an edge on Duke there too. Duke and Wake split NC with UNC, NC State, and ECU. So I doubt Wake or Duke will ever finish at or near the top of the ACC ever again. Wake's success was built on Grobe and beating FSU. I like Grobe, but FSU just proved to me that Wake's days as an ACC contender are over, and Duke's have been over for a long time.

I can't see Duke finishing with a winning ACC record in the next 20 years. Their alumni simply don't care about football. The only way they'll put any real money or effort into football is under threat of demotion. I'm telling you, Duke alumni (and I know plenty as a NC local now) simply don't care about football - at all. It's all a big joke to them.

Rutsgers didn't look that bad yesterday...nice win over an SEC team.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Rutsgers didn't look that bad yesterday...nice win over an SEC team.
    I expect Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, and a few other Big East teams to be in survival mode the next few seasons. That is, they will bust their butts on the playing field and hope that they will get noticed by the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12. Louisville is Top 20 and Rutgers should be Top 25 this week. I expect Cincinnati to give everyhing they have when they play Tech on Saturday. It's probably Cincinnati's biggest game of the year. Plus they have an extra week to prepare for us too. Cincinnati is also rated higher than us in most polls and RPI as of last night.

I went to the Duke-WF game in 2011, I'm almost embarrassed to admit. There were maybe 18000 people there. One interesting thing was how few WF fans were there, given the proximity. Anyway, my point is that even though it may seem Cutliffe hasn't really improved anything as a football team/program, I think there is some improvement, although it may not be obvious, and he is probably the voice of reason concerning the potential financial gains of a successful football program. As someone else said, once Coach K retires, they may find themselves holding nothing in their hand, and if you are going to make a push for improvement, you need to do so while Coach K is still there and Duke is a known quantity, because of basketball. I would like them to improve. I want everyone in the ACC to improve. But Duke has the potential, if they can change the attitude and perception of their fan base. Duke was just another team for the most part before Coach K arrived and they could be one after he is gone. On the other hand, WF is probably destined for football mediocrity because of such a small alumni base. Sorry if I rambled a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I can't see Duke finishing with a winning ACC record in the next 20 years. Their alumni simply don't care about football. The only way they'll put any real money or effort into football is under threat of demotion. I'm telling you, Duke alumni (and I know plenty as a NC local now) simply don't care about football - at all. It's all a big joke to them.