Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    Having followed both programs, I am afraid I have to agree with you. If you saw WVU circa about 1998, you saw what Tech fans are seeing now.
    I adored Don Nehlen, seriously. I hated it when our fans badmouthed him, because IMO he put us on the football map. But it was time for a change. We thought we had our golden boy in RR. But clearly he was only about ego and $$$. It'll be interesting to see how long FB sticks with it.

Quote Originally Posted by anOldHokie View Post
    I don't see any fire either, do you?
    I think he is coasting out trying how to get Shane hired as head coach. Agree very little fire.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieR View Post
    When you lose weight at his age...makes you look older. Have seen this happen with others.
    Even allowing for the effects of weight loss, particularly the large amount that he lost, coach does not look well. He looks pale. I realize that I am only seeing him on screen, but I have noticed a change in his complexion, and I had noticed this before the current discussion.

Agreed.

I think Coach Beamer will hang on a little longer than Nehlen did. You might say he already has. For lack of a better description, I guess I would say that Beamer's plateau is a litter higher than Nehlen's was, and that eases the pressure a bit. Also, Tech has recruiting and other advantages that WVU did not. Plus, Beamer's career is winding down at a time when the competition in the ACC is and has been weaker than usual. In Nehlen's last years, Tech was having some of its best years, Miami was building back into national championship form, Syracuse was still a top 15-20 program and BC was pretty good too.

The thing is, those who think the world may come to an end when Frank retires need only to look at WVU to see why it won't, or shouldn't. I remember standing in the Blue Lot listening to the post-game show when Nehlen announced he would retire and wondering whether WVU would sink back into the mediocrity of the Frank Cignetti years. It hasn't. Neither will Tech. I am convinced that when Frank retires, Tech needs to go out and get the best coach it can possibly get. If it promotes directly from within, it will get Bill Stewart; commendable overall results but stagnation of the program. If it doesn't, there is good reason to believe that Tech can do as well or better than WVU did with RichRod and Holgorson.

Agreed.

I think Coach Beamer will hang on a little longer than Nehlen did. You might say he already has. For lack of a better description, I guess I would say that Beamer's plateau is a litter higher than Nehlen's was, and that eases the pressure a bit. Also, Tech has recruiting and other advantages that WVU did not. Plus, Beamer's career is winding down at a time when the competition in the ACC is and has been weaker than usual. In Nehlen's last years, Tech was having some of its best years, Miami was building back into national championship form, Syracuse was still a top 15-20 program and BC was pretty good too.

The thing is, those who think the world may come to an end when Frank retires need only to look at WVU to see why it won't, or shouldn't. I remember standing in the Blue Lot listening to the post-game show when Nehlen announced he would retire and wondering whether WVU would sink back into the mediocrity of the Frank Cignetti years. It hasn't. Neither will Tech. I am convinced that when Frank retires, Tech needs to go out and get the best coach it can possibly get. If it promotes directly from within, it will get Bill Stewart; commendable overall results but stagnation of the program. If it doesn't, there is good reason to believe that Tech can do as well or better than WVU did with RichRod and Holgorson.
    +1.

Obviously with our recent loss we have seen the usual "Fire Frank" comments. While don't see (nor want) Frank leaving in the immediate future, the topic of his replacement always comes up in this situation. I'm not sure I want a promotion from within... Bud is a GREAT Coordinator, but I'm not sure he's head coaching material (he could be though). Shane is still largely unproven IMO, and his running backs aren't looking that great this year (how much is youth, how much is coaching? too early in career to tell).

VT is a brand now. We have a developed Athletic Program and facilities. I think when Frank leaves, our headcoaching position is a premier job. Why limit ourselves to someone within our program? Hopefully, if JW is still around, he realizes this and expands his search.

Agreed.

^^^^ This!

Loving the Mountaineers, and WVU, and Coach Nehlen in the 90s when I was a coed there, and then after graduation. But WVU wasn't a brand then. We were getting noticed and we always pride ourselves in a rabid fanbase.
    Even Noles during the Bowden glory days would comment to me how much they appreciated how crazy and devoted WVU fans were. I was heartsick when VT left the BE. For me, the WVU-VT rivalry topped any other, including Pitt. I think any Mountaineer attending college in the early-mid 90s would agree with that. When VT moved on, I took a different attitude. Honestly, I felt that WVU was carrying the banner that kept BE football going. I wasn't happy with the BE, but all those things were out of my control, so I focused on enjoying the games. And we had some great players and bowls over the past decade.

I have been fortunate enough to have tickets at all 3 BCS bowls we have won, and won convincingly. I see WVU differently now. Before, it was only about pride. Now it's about everything. And maybe because I'm approaching the big 40 now, retrospectively I like where we've been and where we are headed. I am not sure when WVU became a "brand" except that my cousin's son who went to UF and lives in Florida compliments our team a lot now. Maybe it has something to do with Geno being from Miramar

Quote Originally Posted by br1990 View Post
    +1.

Obviously with our recent loss we have seen the usual "Fire Frank" comments. While don't see (nor want) Frank leaving in the immediate future, the topic of his replacement always comes up in this situation. I'm not sure I want a promotion from within... Bud is a GREAT Coordinator, but I'm not sure he's head coaching material (he could be though). Shane is still largely unproven IMO, and his running backs aren't looking that great this year (how much is youth, how much is coaching? too early in career to tell).

VT is a brand now. We have a developed Athletic Program and facilities. I think when Frank leaves, our headcoaching position is a premier job. Why limit ourselves to someone within our program? Hopefully, if JW is still around, he realizes this and expands his search.
    I cringe at the thought of JW being responsible for hiring our next football coach

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by HokieR View Post
    When you lose weight at his age...makes you look older. Have seen this happen with others.
    That's why I refuse to lose weight. That thin layer of fat keeps the wrinkles away.
    Kind of a natural botox. Ask anybody, I look great.

Quote Originally Posted by br1990 View Post
    +1.

You should look at history when it comes to JW. It was JW who didn't want to pay CFB the going rate for a Top 25 HC. CFB was offered the job at UNC before JW came thru with the dollars CFB deserved. Retaining CFB was the right thing to do but JW didn't want to pay him. Did JW expand the search for a new basketball coach? No, he took the easy way out and promoted from within. Not saying JJ won't do a great job, but did he interview anybody else? Promoted from within for women's BB.

I don't want JW to hire the next football HC.

What does fire look like? Just curious what sort of behavior he would need to display to convince you that he still has competitive fire.

Quote Originally Posted by anOldHokie View Post
    I don't see any fire either, do you?