Would ND really have to pay the $50 million exit fee?

This came from the warchant article;

With the addition of Notre Dame, the Council of Presidents also approved the increase of the league's exit fee from around $20 million to three times the annual television payout per team. This year, that would be around $50 million.

I can't help but think that Notre Dame could claim that their exit fee would be three times what their revenue would be. ND's revenue is 1/15th of 20% of the entire package correct? That puts their exit fee at one million or so.

I'd like to see the actual contract language on that, or have one of you lawyers look at at.

yes from all reports they are obligated to pay that amount

One of the differences in the ND deal with the ACC vis-a-vis the BE is that it if ND joins a conference, it will surely be the ACC. With the BE, there was not that certainty as we have now found out. Even if there was legal loopholes to weasel out of paying the 50m, it seems that in every regard, the ACC is where the Irish want to be. And way more so than the BE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Hokie View Post

With the addition of Notre Dame, the Council of Presidents also approved the increase of the league's exit fee from around $20 million to three times the annual television payout per team. This year, that would be around $50 million.

I can't help but think that Notre Dame could claim that their exit fee would be three times what their revenue would be. ND's revenue is 1/15th of 20% of the entire package correct? That puts their exit fee at one million or so.

I'd like to see the actual contract language on that, or have one of you lawyers look at at.

What leads to second guess a contract term that ND freely agreed to?

Everything I have seen has said its operational budget not payout. NOt sure what the operational budget is but literally every article I have seen quotes operational budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie83 View Post
    yes from all reports they are obligated to pay that amount
    If that's the case, wouldn't that point to a commitment to full term membership eventually?
    [I]"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today. [/I]...Phil Connors, "Groundhog Day"

Quote Originally Posted by JKHokie-RunFor32 View Post
    If that's the case, wouldn't that point to a commitment to full term membership eventually?
    or indefinite football independence.

what i gathered form yesterday is that ND has no plans to integrate their football team into the league, but they are an ACC member, period. so if/when the day comes, yes, the ACC would be the home of their football program, but i really doubt that happens before the end of the 10 year playoff agreement (2025). we'll have to wait and see what else changes after that.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Why would ND want to leave? To join the B12 or the B10? They could have done that already if they wanted too. They got what they wanted from the ACC - they are still independent in FB and the rest of their sports have top competition in the BCS conference with the highest academic standing.