Why not -- Texas as 16th member

Now that the ACC has established a precedent of offering partial membership, why not offer Texas the same deal Notre Dame got.

No "name" schools will be moving to the Big 12 as long as Texas has its special deal with ESPN and the Longhorn Network. (Clemson and FSU certainly aren't going anywhere now that the ACC exit fee has been raised.) I wonder how long Texas will want to stay in a Big 12 that won't be getting any better (or more lucrative) any time soon.

If there's any school that could make it as an independent in football, it's Texas. Let them park their other sports in the ACC. Geography isn't an issue anymore. The ACC is going to stretch from just south of Canada (Syracuse) to just north of Cuba (Miami) in a couple of years.

No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACISHokie View Post
    Now that the ACC has established a precedent of offering partial membership, why not offer Texas the same deal Notre Dame got.

No "name" schools will be moving to the Big 12 as long as Texas has its special deal with ESPN and the Longhorn Network. (Clemson and FSU certainly aren't going anywhere now that the ACC exit fee has been raised.) I wonder how long Texas will want to stay in a Big 12 that won't be getting any better (or more lucrative) any time soon.

If there's any school that could make it as an independent in football, it's Texas. Let them park their other sports in the ACC. Geography isn't an issue anymore. The ACC is going to stretch from just south of Canada (Syracuse) to just north of Cuba (Miami) in a couple of years.

I know you're being sarcastic, but it would be cool to have Notre Dame every 3 years and Texas every 3 years on the schedule.

Texas & Oklahoma as full football-only members. Think about that:
    - ESPN tears up the Big 12 deal
    - ACC contract re-negotiated including allowing the big boys to maximize their tier 3 rev
    - ACC gets Champions Bowl in addition to Orange
    - Big 12 has no choice but to accept Texas and OK non-football
    - slap Texas and OK I'm opposite sides of the existing divisions. Division record determines championship game participants
    - Annual Texas-ND game and OK added to ACC-ND rotation
    - ACC becomes arguably the best football conference in addition to being best basketball conference
    - WVU stuck in a southwest conference without the two big fish

Are you suggesting a DP? No thanks.
    "I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk on The Lounge leave my cheese out in the wind." - WestyHokie

Because the Big 12 has Texas' first and second tier television rights for 13 years

Has that been finalized?

Last I read there was a hangup

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    Because the Big 12 has Texas' first and second tier television rights for 13 years

The 13-year grant of rights was announced last week.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...l-abc-espn-fox

The final step was a vote by the governing board of Texas Tech a couple of days ago, which was basically a formality.

Big step for that conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    The 13-year grant of rights was announced last week.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...l-abc-espn-fox

The final step was a vote by the governing board of Texas Tech a couple of days ago, which was basically a formality.