Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This UCONN guy has an interesting idea

It won't ever happen in my opinion, but who knows in this day and age.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/notr...cussion.23571/

Quote Originally Posted by Hokies4Life View Post

A lot of people are talking about UCONN or Rutgers as the 16th school. Swofford is saying no more expansion - at least he's saying that right now - but for now I believe him. UConn is an absolute mess right now - lousy football and NCAA probs to boot. Radioactive if you ask me.. Rutgers always is pitched as the lead to the NYC market - but I just don't see it. To me, the most attractive option out there is Navy. They would make a great rivalry with us from the service academy / corps of cadets perspective - but that's not why Swofford would chase them. The real reason is when the next big conference shakeout occurs, having Navy in the conference will make the ACC that much more of a lock for ND to join as a full member. It seems inevitable that they will eventually join a conference - this makes us that much more attractive.
    "It's not right; this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me." - Lone Watie

very interesting take. thanks for sharing.

I proposed the same idea about having ND only play division games. Then the rest of the ACC can play as many or few crossover games as they chose. I even suggested that you put ND in a seven-team division. This would call for them to play only one more ACC game than they are now committing to and would make ND eligible for the ACCCG. In my plan, new teams would be rotated in to ND's division each year, but a team that finished near the bottom of the 8-team (non ND) division would stay behind for an extra year. This would keep the divisions competitively balanced even though one division has 8 and the other 7.

I'm opposed to bringing basketball-only schools into the conference.

And I'm not feeling it WRT Navy. If it is part of a deal to bring ND in full time, then fine. But I don't want to bring them in with the "hope" that it lures ND.

The Dude of UCONN

I've mentioned Georgetown or some other non-football 16th member to the ACC a few times but I honestly believe the ACC can operate with 15 in basketball. A 16th team would just be another mouth to feed. I only see a 16th team to be necessary if Notre Dame joins as a full member. At that point a 16th team would be practical and logical.

This is so obvious, you'd think you would never have to say it. I like ND as a non-football member in perpetuity.

I just don't see it - they don't bring much to the table except BBall. I don't think they move the needle money wise - I don't buy the ACC adding anybody else unless ND joins as a full member - then maybe UConn, Rutgers, or Louisville.

This is one of the worst ideas ever proposed. For one, you would be playing in-conference exhibition games. If you went to 7 conference games you might as well let programs schedule whoever they want--it might at least add an additional home game or a high revenue neutral site game with a big name opponent. A home and home exhibition game with the likes of Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse simply makes no economic sense at all.

Secondly, there is no scheduling reason to bring on a non-football member like Georgetown, not to mention the lack of material economic incentive. There is no issue with 15 team bball schedules. The only incentive to add a Georgetown type team would be if Notre Dame insisted on Navy football for ND to join as a full member. Since Navy Olympic sports would be horrific, you could add a Georgetown as 16. Other than that unlikely scenario, there is no reason to go to 16 non-football.

Finally, ACC bball, with the addition of Syracuse, Pitt and ND, is the indisputable top basketball conference--there is zero incentive or need to add the likes of Villanova and St. John's. And UCONN and Rutgers are unappealing full member additions given their pedestrian football programs.

In sum, this is one of the worst and least viable ideas ever proposed.

Tell me how you really feel? Haha. The thing I like about non division games nt counting towards getting to the ACC Championship is that eliminates unbalanced schedules affecting the division outcomes. For example this year when we have to play both FSU and Clemson from the other side and some tea ms in our division don't. The games against the other side wouldn't become exhibition games as you said, they would still in determining bowl placement and if you had ambitions of making the new playoffs, you obviously would hired to win them.