Sorry I was trapped in a really big meeting today...did I miss anything?

Can someone fill me in?

Be glad you missed the talking heads saying what a pathetic conference the ACC is and that this is our effort to improve.
    I'm not kidding. They were saying what I was thinking that this deal makes the ACC on the level of the Big East begging precious Notre Dame to play with us on their terms, not the full membership that would benefit the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Can someone fill me in?
    Any idea when ND will join as a full member (in football)?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Not sure when, but they will be a full football member. Even with this they will miss out on the SOS you get from playing in a conference championship game. They also will miss out on the preference that will be given for winning a conference championship.

The administration already knows this, but their big donors need to self discover the disadvantage of being independent with the new rules.

Duane Brown on ESPN tonight. That's it.

Here is my opinion, unsolicited: if Notre Dame is highly successful, and gains the occasional playoff berth, or NYD bowl, we'll never see them as full members. If Notre Dame is stuck at 8 wins or fewer every year, then Notre Dame will talk to the ACC about full membership if pressured.

ND won't give play 9 conference games, leaving only 3 free OOC, unless they've lost what it means to be "Notre Dame." Put yourself in their boardroom and do the math.

Good...I always liked that guy.

The math is already difficult for them to make the playoff with the new rules passed in June. The ACC teams would not have passed this and a 50 million dollar penalty without knowing this is headed to full membership. The current national football schools of FSU, Clemson and VT had other offers and this ends that threat.

June 26 2012 vote was a great day for the ACC and today is just another part of that IMHO.

Swarbrick says ND intends to stay independent. If he knows what you are saying, then he's borderline lying. I can only guess he would say something like that to appease donors who are opposed to full membership. Othwerwise, why lie?

he also said if they join a conference it will be the ACC, but i think your guess is

correct.

easier to take this to the alumni in small bites. the reality of the playoff and how its works is at this point still muddled for the average fan. when the selection committee meets and the first teams on the board for consideration are the conference champs, and then its the teams with the most wins (and ND has played one less game than everyone else), and no one is getting points for the polls, then it becomes an easier sell.

Big 12 champ is almost in the same boat. If /when they add teams to get that 13th game for their champ, or get raided and eviscerated because they missed on their top 3 targets, the chatter will begin again.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Swarbrick says ND intends to stay independent. If he knows what you are saying, then he's borderline lying. I can only guess he would say something like that to appease donors who are opposed to full membership. Othwerwise, why lie?