Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think we're being slowly

broken in to becoming full time members.

I just read that the ACC is actually going to be making a large portion of our schedule. The ACC is going to tell us who we have to play and this is the first time in over 125 yrs of football that this will happen.

In less then 10 yrs we will be full members.

Welcome to the ACC.

I have to admit I hope you are right. I say that and I know you have a lot of rivalries that would impact although to what extent would be unclear in like a pod format.

Having 5 games in the acc and how we work with the networks in when games are played. I would imagine that it is easier. Usually we know who we will play because of how it rotates. Just not the date.

Once again welcome to the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by ahokie4u View Post
    Welcome to the ACC.

I have to admit I hope you are right. I say that and I know you have a lot of rivalries that would impact although to what extent would be unclear in like a pod format.

Having 5 games in the acc and how we work with the networks in when games are played. I would imagine that it is easier. Usually we know who we will play because of how it rotates. Just not the date.

Once again welcome to the ACC
    Thank you for the welcome..

I am excited and curious to how this plays out.

No offense intended but if you are not relatively quickly integrated into the conference for ALL sports including football on an equal basis I want you OUT.

I'm ok with a short transition period but I do not like what such sweetheart deals bring to conferences in terms of instability and eventual breakup.

Your university could have made the BE quite stable had they decided long ago to become full members but due to their arrogance and desire to keep all their bowl revenue and tv money for themselves they selfishly refused to do so and used the BE as a comfy home for their BB and nonrev sports while the conference itself went down in flames.

I do NOT want that pattern to repeat itself in the ACC.

FWIW, you are in the minority and you are being hypocritical beyond belief. You think Notre Dame football should have joined the Big East - against their own interests - in order to stabilize that trainwreck? Have you forgotten that VT, along with Miami and BC, nearly killed the Big East and caused 100x the instability that ND ever has. We deserted our conference mates. We not only bailed on the Big East, but before that we joined hands with the BE in solidarity in a lawsuit, then dumped them at our first opportunity. Sorry, but our high horse left a decade ago.

If you want to accuse Notre Dame of arrogance for looking out for its own interests (it's not the same thing), accuse VT of disloyalty and consider which is worse. And then think about what is engraved on the eight pylons over the drillfield.

Plus, somebody posted a history of conference transitions a few weeks back, and I don't remember seeing one that could be attributed to inviting a partial member. Just because people repeat something on the internet over and over, it doesn't make it true.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Fri Sep 14 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ Hokie View Post
    No offense intended but if you are not relatively quickly integrated into the conference for ALL sports including football on an equal basis I want you OUT.

I'm ok with a short transition period but I do not like what such sweetheart deals bring to conferences in terms of instability and eventual breakup.

Your university could have made the BE quite stable had they decided long ago to become full members but due to their arrogance and desire to keep all their bowl revenue and tv money for themselves they selfishly refused to do so and used the BE as a comfy home for their BB and nonrev sports while the conference itself went down in flames.

I do NOT want that pattern to repeat itself in the ACC.
    ND is getting 1/15th of 20% of our TV deal. We will add a couple million per year per team due to a trigger in the ESPN contract for the 2-3 football games per year on ABC/ESPN plus their basketball.

We basically got them for free.

I was very much against the idea of ND as a partial member but if it had to happen, and I think it did, the ACC and ND both got great deals. As close to a win-win as I could have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by domer1978 View Post
    broken in to becoming full time members.

I just read that the ACC is actually going to be making a large portion of our schedule. The ACC is going to tell us who we have to play and this is the first time in over 125 yrs of football that this will happen.

In less then 10 yrs we will be full members.
    I sincerely hope you are right but I doubt it. What incentive does Notre Dame have for joining the ACC in football with this deal in place? You get to participate in the ACC's olympic sports, keep the NBC contract, gain access to the ACC's bowls AND schedule 7 traditional rivalry games a year. This deal actually makes it less likely that Notre Dame joins as a full member. The only way I see full membership is if independents are somehow locked out of the playoff.

This is truth. Win-Win for free with an eye to preserving the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post
    ND is getting 1/15th of 20% of our TV deal. We will add a couple million per year per team due to a trigger in the ESPN contract for the 2-3 football games per year on ABC/ESPN plus their basketball.

I was very much against the idea of ND as a partial member but if it had to happen, and I think it did, the ACC and ND both got great deals. As close to a win-win as I could have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post

Where are you getting these numbers? There is no way this deal nets $2 million more per team per year. Why the hell would ESPN pay $28 million more per year (14 teams * $2 million) for the right to broadcast an average of 2.5 football games and 30 basketball games? ESPN is currently commited to paying only ~$238 million (14 teams * $17 million) for 100+ ACC football games and ~420 ACC basketball games. The addition of a few ND games is completely insignificant financially.

Times have changed. Did anyone ever see Notre Dame traveling to small Wake Forest? The landscape may not allow them to stay INDY. JMO of course but in time(short imo) the IRISH will do the unthinkable and like some say HELL WILL FREEZE OVER! LOL