Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone tell me what VT gets out of the deal. Not the ACC, VT. And this $50M amount

That's 1% of their endowment. Not insurmountable by any stretch.

We are getting taken for a ride, on an uneven playing field, like Texas did to the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Bird 94 View Post
    That's 1% of their endowment. Not insurmountable by any stretch.

We are getting taken for a ride, on an uneven playing field, like Texas did to the Big 12.
    I think lots of people have answered this. More TV money, a game vs. ND every three years, a more stanble ACC for VT, etc.
    "I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk on The Lounge leave my cheese out in the wind." - WestyHokie

Well, for starters, it sounds like our yearly check from the ACC will go up from its present $17 million to at least $19 million or so.

We'll be able to look forward to playing Notre Dame either in Blacksburg or in South Bend once every three years or so, at the least.

It also improves our other sports besides football. For example, I'm looking forward to playing Notre Dame in basketball on a regular basis.

Finally, this move ensures that the ACC will remain one of the nation's power conferences and won't be poached by the SEC or the Big 12.

Those sound like four pretty significant benefits to me.

Let's take a closer look

1. ACC teams get to play ND at home once every 6 years. Limited impact on VT as we sell all seats regardless. Some impact (every 6 years) on SWVA economy due to ND fans traveling from further away and staying longer vs NC State fans coming up and back same day. Bottome line - no significant positive football impact on VT.
    2. Can ACC renegotiate TV contract based upon (6) football games with ND.?
    3. Basketball - TBD until/unless ACC gets new TV contract. My thought is limited $ change due to ND addition.
    4. Olympic sports - no significant $ impact

This is from a sports perspective and changes if ND becomes a full member

Well, The TV contact includes 3 additional ND away games every year. NBC seems to think that the Home deal is worth a fair amount for 7 games. So it is not insignificant.

The stability factor and the Notre Dame insurance policy are the biggest factors in my mind. We really don't know the pace or shape of realignment, but we have a pretty good guess that it will happen. This move provides the ACC stability, which puts us WAY ahead of the Big East, and in my mind the Big 12. That is no small feat if you are attempting to be in the top 4 conferences. And if something major happens Notre Dame in all likelyhood would fall-in as full members to the ACC. Getting the occasional snub to a higher ranked ND team to second tiered bowl is worth that in my mind without question.

I think we would have all loved to have ND become a full member, but that wasn't going to happen until they are absolutely forced to do so. If & When that forced move happens, ND is the biggest chip that would be up for grabs.

Last item is the trump card IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    Well, for starters, it sounds like our yearly check from the ACC will go up from its present $17 million to at least $19 million or so.

We'll be able to look forward to playing Notre Dame either in Blacksburg or in South Bend once every three years or so, at the least.

It also improves our other sports besides football. For example, I'm looking forward to playing Notre Dame in basketball on a regular basis.

Finally, this move ensures that the ACC will remain one of the nation's power conferences and won't be poached by the SEC or the Big 12.

Those sound like four pretty significant benefits to me.

Some questions:

Does this includes no arrangement to play BC every year? That would make it less than every 6 years for us.

Do they rotate evenly through the ACC. Do they pick who they want to play and when?

Does this include an agreement to play ND in the Orange Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Let's take a closer look

1. ACC teams get to play ND at home once every 6 years. Limited impact on VT as we sell all seats regardless. Some impact (every 6 years) on SWVA economy due to ND fans traveling from further away and staying longer vs NC State fans coming up and back same day. Bottome line - no significant positive football impact on VT.
    2. Can ACC renegotiate TV contract based upon (6) football games with ND.?
    3. Basketball - TBD until/unless ACC gets new TV contract. My thought is limited $ change due to ND addition.
    4. Olympic sports - no significant $ impact

This is from a sports perspective and changes if ND becomes a full member

So, lets break this down:

- 30 years to play 5 "home" games vs ND...you think they'll come to Blacksburg?
    - ND boost to TV contract...I don't remember much change to the TV contract when they did the same to the BE
    - Strong ACC guaranteed? Well ND's olympic sports & BBall benefit from not following the BE into the flushing sound. Not sure creating an exit barrier is the same as creating a stronger conference

3 additional away games for ND? So they play 6 home games instead of 9 now? So what?

If the 50 million exit fee is correct and enforceable, and also goes into effect immediately. Then this is bigger than getting ND imo. This will stabilize the conference and calm nerves about future expansion. Getting raided will be off the table. Playing ND twice every 6 years is gravy.