Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've read just about everything I could find. Looks like VT signed a deal to play ND

every now and then, how often will be announced. None of the rest of it impacts VT. Nothing else that has been announced has any bearing on the strength of the ACC. ND is getting 1/16 of the bball money. ACC football gets some attractive non-conference games with ND. ND bball and Olympic sports get a home....anything else? This seems very anticlimactic.

Glen Allen, VA (far western Henrico County)
    They have to take us to dinner or a movie every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post
    every now and then, how often will be announced. None of the rest of it impacts VT. Nothing else that has been announced has any bearing on the strength of the ACC. ND is getting 1/16 of the bball money. ACC football gets some attractive non-conference games with ND. ND bball and Olympic sports get a home....anything else? This seems very anticlimactic.

You catch that new 50 million dollar ACC buy out? The new buy out and ND effectively kills any more impactful conference expansion.

True, regarding the 15 team ACC losing anybody. I doubt the BE can get their member sto agree to a similar buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    You catch that new 50 million dollar ACC buy out? The new buy out and ND effectively kills any more impactful conference expansion.

You left out that it likely means ND will eventually be a full-fledged member

That's pretty big. Kudos to our conf. guys making it happen now, rather than 3 years from now when ND's TV contract runs out and every other major conference is bending over backwards to try to get them...
    GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin OandM View Post
    That's pretty big. Kudos to our conf. guys making it happen now, rather than 3 years from now when ND's TV contract runs out and every other major conference is bending over backwards to try to get them...
    Exactly!! They will either join the ACC, continue playing 5 games, or pay $50 million dollars. Good Job ACC!

This just paves the way for membership for ND. Their fanbase will eventually warm to the ACC by building/renewing rivalries with VT, FSU, UM, Clemson, etc. Then when the time comes to join, it will be a fairly small transition, probably just 3 more ACC games at that point.

"Likely" seems like a bit of a stretch.

"More likely" or "possible" is more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin OandM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by East Cobb Hokie View Post
    True, regarding the 15 team ACC losing anybody. I doubt the BE can get their member sto agree to a similar buyout.
    Probably not now. The BE is staring at long term extinction or at the very least relegation in football. Some schools may not care, but I bet some of the new members do.
    "I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk on The Lounge leave my cheese out in the wind." - WestyHokie

TSL summary says $1-2 million more in payouts for each school. Totally speculative, but it does come from a source at ESPN. That's pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by WestyHokie View Post
    Probably not now. The BE is staring at long term extinction or at the very least relegation in football. Some schools may not care, but I bet some of the new members do.
    The BE will just revert to what they've always been in their hearts, a small NE basketball conference. They never really liked or supported football. It was more of a fall sport they occassionally watched while getting ready for basketball season.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne