Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ever been to a General Aviation airport near an SEC game? I once flew (as pilot) a plane full of UGA fans to nearby Auburn. There had to be 500 plus planes there. Seriously.

Terminal was on one side of the runway. A plane would launch, and 20-30 people would run across the runway. 20 seconds later repat the sequence.

Once airborne, they were like radial strobe lights fanning out in all directions.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I think they expect more alumni and visiting fans to fly in, which could explain the large number. I guess many of their old B12 opponents could drive to Columbia (although it still looks like a long way on my map), whereas their SEC opponents have to fly.

My answer to that is: don't count those flying SEC visiting fans until they land: Columbia is a long way from every SEC school, and from every major population center in the South. It's a long, long drive from everywhere. At some point, the novelty of Mizzou will wear off and SEC fans will balk at buying plane tickets to go to Columbia, Missouri. Plus, if Mizzou starts to suck after repeated maulings by Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, et al., there might be far fewer fans than they expected.

I'd hold off on building the terminal for now.

They are talking about general Aviation, not commercial flights. It is not bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    Yeah, I think it's crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Well if that is "crappy support by B-12 fans" I would hate to see what you call ACC fan support ;-)
    Guess you noticed there was no need for a runway extension of VT International Airport when we joined the ACC.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by HOKIERIT View Post
    Yeah...God forbid the huge economic impact...THAT would be a tragedy...lol
    At VT, our own fans fill up the hotels, restaurants, etc. There would be little, if any, economic impact in the NRV from visiting fans.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    At VT, our own fans fill up the hotels, restaurants, etc. There would be little, if any, economic impact in the NRV from visiting fans.
    Wrong...SEC fans come for days, not the weekend....

The LSU fans were great, and SEC fans would have a financial plus for Blacksburg.

I am not sure what the percentage would be, but there would be more money spent in Blacksburg with SEC teams vs ACC.

Auburn and Georgia are big-time cross-division rivals in the SEC. It's a huge game between big-time football schools. Mizzou is a long trip in a small plane for most of the SEC, and it's Mizzou, after all. I'll be interested to see how long Mizzou gets along in the SEC.

You really have no idea just how big the scope is of the SEC. That statement is so uniformed and so wrong. It would turn the NRV into an economic hotbed. Really, you need to get to some SEC home games this year, you have no idea on what you're missing.
    Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it

Honestly I'd rather have a tower than long runways.

It seems small but its bigger than that. A larger field will attract more business for jets refueling from around the country. To an extent, if you build it they will come applies to airports.

SEC home games are no joke at the local airport and just that many passengers alone could cause safety issues without improvements

I did some playing around with distances and flight planning....

Most schools range from 350-500 miles within the SEC. Tuscaloosa to Columbia is 438 miles direct. If you own your own airplane, what really is another hundred miles? Money is not a limiting factor and these SEC airplane mafioso will just see this as even more reason to fly due to the long distance. They're not going to miss Alabama whoop up on a new team because its an extra hour at cruise in their Cirrus.