Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To add fuel the fire about economic benefits of SEC membership

http://www.macon.com/2012/09/08/2168...es-beyond.html

couple of quotes:

1. A new economic impact study of Missouri athletics by the Columbia Chamber of Commerce and the city's convention and visitors bureau estimated that out-of-town football fans will generate $30 million in extra local spending this year - a 33 percent increase from the school's final year in the Big 12 Conference.

Gone are the afternoon road trips to Columbia from Lawrence and Manhattan, Kan.; Ames, Iowa; and Lincoln, Neb. Now, most rival fans live in cities like Gainesville, Fla.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Athens, Ga. - all of which require plane trips.

2. Missouri's move to the SEC is also seen by community leaders as leverage to build an expanded runway and new terminal at Columbia Regional Airport. Delta Air Lines recently added a daily flight from Columbia to Atlanta. And Frontier Airlines has announced its own plans to fly to Columbia from Orlando, Fla.

THis is really why VT was not interested. They are very pleased witht the focus and balance of the ACC, where athletics is not the core of the university. But this is amazing.

A&M and Florida assessment

Before the game and after the game

Think it says more about the crappy support by B-12 fans.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Well if that is "crappy support by B-12 fans" I would hate to see what you call ACC fan support ;-)

$11mil/yr on 5 wkends a year justifies building a new airport terminal?

If I understand that correctly, they are planning to pick up a whopping 2000 more people to each game (2k people * $250/day * 2 days). Of those, lets assume that 1/2 of them want to fly in (I'd bet most of those 2k would be Mizzou supporters). Of those flying in, lets assume and 1/2 fly into either KC or St Louis and drive 2 hrs to get to Columbia for various connecting reasons. So basically they're building a new runway, terminal + infrastructure for about 1000 people per year.

My math has never been a truly strong point of my engineering education but how the heck does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    http://www.macon.com/2012/09/08/2168...es-beyond.html

couple of quotes:

1. A new economic impact study of Missouri athletics by the Columbia Chamber of Commerce and the city's convention and visitors bureau estimated that out-of-town football fans will generate $30 million in extra local spending this year - a 33 percent increase from the school's final year in the Big 12 Conference.

Gone are the afternoon road trips to Columbia from Lawrence and Manhattan, Kan.; Ames, Iowa; and Lincoln, Neb. Now, most rival fans live in cities like Gainesville, Fla.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Athens, Ga. - all of which require plane trips.

2. Missouri's move to the SEC is also seen by community leaders as leverage to build an expanded runway and new terminal at Columbia Regional Airport. Delta Air Lines recently added a daily flight from Columbia to Atlanta. And Frontier Airlines has announced its own plans to fly to Columbia from Orlando, Fla.

I think they expect more alumni and visiting fans to fly in, which could explain the large number. I guess many of their old B12 opponents could drive to Columbia (although it still looks like a long way on my map), whereas their SEC opponents have to fly.

My answer to that is: don't count those flying SEC visiting fans until they land: Columbia is a long way from every SEC school, and from every major population center in the South. It's a long, long drive from everywhere. At some point, the novelty of Mizzou will wear off and SEC fans will balk at buying plane tickets to go to Columbia, Missouri. Plus, if Mizzou starts to suck after repeated maulings by Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, et al., there might be far fewer fans than they expected.

I'd hold off on building the terminal for now.

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post

If I understand that correctly, they are planning to pick up a whopping 2000 more people to each game (2k people * $250/day * 2 days). Of those, lets assume that 1/2 of them want to fly in (I'd bet most of those 2k would be Mizzou supporters). Of those flying in, lets assume and 1/2 fly into either KC or St Louis and drive 2 hrs to get to Columbia for various connecting reasons. So basically they're building a new runway, terminal + infrastructure for about 1000 people per year.

My math has never been a truly strong point of my engineering education but how the heck does that work?
    Yeah, I think it's crazy talk.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    THis is really why VT was not interested. They are very pleased witht the focus and balance of the ACC, where athletics is not the core of the university. But this is amazing.
    Yeah...God forbid the huge economic impact...THAT would be a tragedy...lol

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post

Not sure, but I think the OLD terminal was a Quonset Hut...just saying......(I'm kidding to all you in Mizzou land..I have no clue)