Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    I think $80M plus stadium bid makes it more than "just another bowl". This equals or surpasses what the Rose bowl pays out.
    the bidding process almost certainly won't be cash as far as i know. the bid includes things like events, accommodations, gifts, entertainment, etc. just like Cities don't pay the NFL for the right to host, they just put forth the best package for the league(s) and the participants.

either way, ESPN now owns 2 of the 6 bowls that will host semi-finals over the next 12 years. i think it's clear that they don't want any other network hosting semi-finals, so that will help the ACC a ton in negotiations since the Orange Bowl may host more semi-finals than any other bowl based on the language in the agreements (Rose Bowl hosts "at least 2 but not more than 4", SEC/B12 Bowl hosts "at least 2" and the Orange Bowl hosts "at least 4" (though i think ultimately they all host 4 each when the dust of all the negotiations settles).

i think we'll see the ACC end up with the same $$ as the Rose and the SEC/B12 in the end, possibly more if NBC really makes a push to get involved. going last (for once) will really help the ACC, IMO.

we'll see...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

But isn't it simply a repackaged Cotton Bowl? I'd assume the B12 and SEC will have a team in the playoff most years. This game will likely be between B12 and SEC runners up in most years.

300 min of tv
    each "block"... 5min of FB + 1min of tv ads = 50 "blocks"
    2 30sec tv spots per min of ads = 100 ads

I'm slow so what am I missing? More commercials and longer breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEA 05 View Post
    So look for the Orange bowl to get in the $65/mil a year range from someone. Difference in that will be that the $65/mil for TV is solely the ACCs after they pay out a bit to the other team participating. We are the sole owner of the TV rights for that bowl. Thats a big deal. We won't/don't have the ability to bid out location, but we do own TV rights to the game. We also can set the pay for the other team obviously it will pay well, but we are one of the few contract bowls that has a seat at the playoff table at the moment and we get to name the second team in non playoff years. The Big12/Sec game doesn't get to the name either team its locked in. If the ACC can start to win some of the big games and get a team in the playoff and then have a game that pits say Tech vs LSU in orange if both aren't in the playoff it will pay very well.
    ACC #1 vs SEC #3. Not good for perception with potential recruits

Quote Originally Posted by Beez View Post
    If the ACC opts for a "best available" model instead of tying the OB to another conference, then the game will be one of the better bowls more often than not. Under that method, last season probably would have matched up Clemson vs any one of Stanford, Arkansas, etc. instead of West Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Beez View Post
    Since the ACC deal with the Orange Bowl, our opponents have been:

Penn State, Louisville, Kansas, Cincinnati, Iowa, Stanford, and West Virginia.

That list has some good names in it, but I think you'd agree that SEC #3 is, in general, going to be a more interesting opponent who will bring more fans than the type of opponent we've been getting via the BCS. Does it make the Orange Bowl a glorified version of the Capital One Bowl? Maybe, but a rich man's Capital One Bowl is better than a poor man's Orange Bowl, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Since the ACC deal with the Orange Bowl, our opponents have been:

Penn State, Louisville, Kansas, Cincinnati, Iowa, Stanford, and West Virginia.

That list has some good names in it, but I think you'd agree that SEC #3 is, in general, going to be a more interesting opponent who will bring more fans than the type of opponent we've been getting via the BCS. Does it make the Orange Bowl a glorified version of the Capital One Bowl? Maybe, but a rich man's Capital One Bowl is better than a poor man's Orange Bowl, imo.
    Agreed with this. And the PSU team that was there wasn't all that great.

So what you are saying is they get more money for their second place teams than we get for our first. Doesn't sound like a win for the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post
    So what you are saying is they get more money for their second place teams than we get for our first. Doesn't sound like a win for the ACC.
    Only if our first team misses the playoff. Have to remember that the objective here is for this to be ACC #2 vs. SEC #3 or best available. If not then, well, we get what we deserve I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful Hokie View Post
    Agreed with this. And the PSU team that was there wasn't all that great.
    Not only that but it was an accident that we got the Big 10 champs that year because the Rose Bowl was hosting the national championship game (Texas vs. USC) and this was prior to the double-hosting model. So if you start that list in 2006 when the double-hosting model when into effect then the list is even more trifling. No SEC teams and the only Big 12 or Big 10 teams were Kansas and Iowa.