Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    300 min of tv
    each "block"... 5min of FB + 1min of tv ads = 50 "blocks"
    2 30sec tv spots per min of ads = 100 ads

I'm slow so what am I missing? More commercials and longer breaks?
    2 commercials every 5 min. = 24 per hour((60/5)x2)...x 5 hrs = 120 commercials in 5 hours. Does it matter how longeach commercial is? Let's not even get into how long a game actually lasts (agreed they seem like 5 hours)
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    If the ACC opts for a "best available" model instead of tying the OB to another conference, then the game will be one of the better bowls more often than not. Under that method, last season probably would have matched up Clemson vs any one of Stanford, Arkansas, etc. instead of West Virginia.
    But what will be "available" if other conferences have their #2s, 3s, 4s, etc. locked in to some other bowl?

Or will those contracts with other bowls stipulate (ie, assume we're talking Citrus Bowl) "Sec#3, unless picked by Orange, Sugar etc vs B1G #2 unless picked by Orange, Sugar etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Only if our first team misses the playoff. Have to remember that the objective here is for this to be ACC #2 vs. SEC #3 or best available. If not then, well, we get what we deserve I guess.
    It is safe to say the Big12 and SEC will put teams in the top four at a significantly more frequent basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post
    It is safe to say the Big12 and SEC will put teams in the top four at a significantly more frequent basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Is it that safe to say? Dabo with his coordinators is going to be dangerous with their talent, FSU should continue to improve, and the BIG12 is Texas and Oklahoma. Yea Okie state and a couple of other rise up but I don't see their conference continuing to be outstanding. Oklahoma has seen significant drops in talent and Texas who the hell knows whats wrong with them. Outside those two teams they are don't have anyone save the Mountaineers who I think are in for rude awakening away from the Big Least when they ahve to play an opponent worth a damn more than every three weeks.

The ACC should see its conference rise if we can just win a few games. A couple breaks in the last 5 years and we are the second or third best product out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I wonder too how growth in revenue can be sustained especially with the slow economy. Many economists expect another decade of slow growth, maybe another severe recession. Most college football fans have less money to spend on entertainment. Bowl attendance has been down the past few years. Most of the Division 1 conferences have had drops in season attendance. While Americans are watching their dollar shrink in value, major college conferences continue to see big pay days. Unless the economy miraculously improves in the next few years, I see the "good times" ending abruptly and the televison sports networks facing major loses. The same can be said for most entertaiment like the movie and music industry. Like you gern, I think 90% of the economics in the US are just effed up from the bottom to the top so what do I know.
    Advertising rates for NFL and College Football are going up and up. They're the only two non-single-event properties that are essentially "TiVo-proof". Everything else, and many many people are watching it on DVRs, fast-forwarding through commercials. NFL and College Football are still pretty much the only must-see-live-TV left out there. Accordingly, the advertising rates for those are skyrocketing due to high demand / low supply.

At least, that's how it looks from the cheap seats.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

:P Yeah, I miss the days I could watch a VT FB game in 2.5 hrs. Granted we lost a lot of those but still.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    2 commercials every 5 min. = 24 per hour((60/5)x2)...x 5 hrs = 120 commercials in 5 hours. Does it matter how longeach commercial is? Let's not even get into how long a game actually lasts (agreed they seem like 5 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEA 05 View Post
    A couple breaks in the last 5 years and we are the second or third best product out there.
    ...Kansas, Georgia, Boise State, & Michigan. If VT had won those 4 games (all of which they SHOULD have won) then it's an entirely different picture.

I didn't say it was a win for the ACC; the ACC never wins in these conversations.

There is no doubt that the ACC has potential, but the Big12 and SEC have been realizing their potential. If we won those games we would have been better...but we didn't and no one in the ACC has in the last ten years. I have a much easier time believing OU and UT will be in the playoff on a regular basis than hoping the ACC realizes their potential.

IF Frank had made changes in recruiting way before he thought he needed we would have won those games easily. Could have won them anyway.