Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ESPN to pay $80M/yr to broadcast the Big12/SEC Champions bowl. Add to that

whatever they get for bidding out the stadium and you have a VERY big payday. Not bad for SEC#2 vs Big12 #2 - assuming that SEC and Big12 #1's make it to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie
    whatever they get for bidding out the stadium and you have a VERY big payday. Not bad for SEC#2 vs Big12 #2 - assuming that SEC and Big12 #1's make it to the playoffs.
    So look for the Orange bowl to get in the $65/mil a year range from someone. Difference in that will be that the $65/mil for TV is solely the ACCs after they pay out a bit to the other team participating. We are the sole owner of the TV rights for that bowl. Thats a big deal. We won't/don't have the ability to bid out location, but we do own TV rights to the game. We also can set the pay for the other team obviously it will pay well, but we are one of the few contract bowls that has a seat at the playoff table at the moment and we get to name the second team in non playoff years. The Big12/Sec game doesn't get to the name either team its locked in. If the ACC can start to win some of the big games and get a team in the playoff and then have a game that pits say Tech vs LSU in orange if both aren't in the playoff it will pay very well.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    $80 million? How the heck do they produce $80 million in revenue off of a single game???

It's just another bowl. The other bowl partners for the B12 and the SEC will get the shaft because they get picks from further down the pecking order. In this case it seems like the Champions bowl is pushing the Cotton Bowl down a notch, which could be a problem down the line. As soon as the Cotton gets stuck with Texas Tech or a middling draw, they'll make some noise.

In the end, there are only two marquee draws in the B12: Texas and Oklahoma. If they go to the playoffs and Champions Bowl, the Cotton will realize they got the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful Hokie View Post
    $80 million? How the heck do they produce $80 million in revenue off of a single game???
    the Rose Bowl also got $80MM. i've heard they expect the "access bowls" to fetch ~$200MM annually as a package deal on average over the course of 12 years, and the championship game could be in the $100-120MM range. all told, even if the ACC only gets $60MM (on the low end IMO, but we'll see), the total post season package for the 6 bowls and the championship game could easily be in the $520-550MM/year range for 7 games. compare that to the $180MM the 5 BCS bowls generated last year...it's a lot of friggin money that will likely see ~70-80% stay with the 5 contract leagues. insanity.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    the Rose Bowl also got $80MM. i've heard they expect the "access bowls" to fetch ~$200MM annually as a package deal on average over the course of 12 years, and the championship game could be in the $100-120MM range. all told, even if the ACC only gets $60MM (on the low end IMO, but we'll see), the total post season package for the 6 bowls and the championship game could easily be in the $520-550MM/year range for 7 games. compare that to the $180MM the 5 BCS bowls generated last year...it's a lot of friggin money that will likely see ~70-80% stay with the 5 contract leagues. insanity.

Yeah, but where does that revenue come from? How many commercial does ESPN get in a 3-hour game? 75? Just to make back the initial $80 mm payout would require over $1 million per ad.

Dirty math:

You'll have about 20 million views for that game, maybe--if you're very lucky. The Super Bowl had 111 million viewers. That's 5.5 times more than the expected viewership of the Champions Bowl. The average Super Bowl ad was $3.5 million in 2012, which is 3.2 times more than the $1,066,000 average BCS ad. I just don't see how the numbers work, but obvioulsy someone thinks they do.
    Last edited by Hateful Hokie; Mon Jul 30 2012 at 08:53 PM.

5hr football game, 2 commercials every 5 minutes gives 100 commercials.

I think CFB revenue drops a lot over the next 10 years. The growth isn't sustainable and I am very comfortable saying it shouldn't be (universities should not be pro leagues - just ask PSU). Then again, I think 90% of the economics in the US are just effed up from the bottom to the top so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful Hokie View Post
    Yeah, but where does that revenue come from? How many commercial does ESPN get in a 3-hour game? 75? Just to make back the initial $80 mm payout would require over $1 million per add.

Dirty math:

You'll have about 20 million views for that game, maybe--if you're very lucky. The Super Bowl had 111 million viewers. That's 5.5 times more than the expected viewership of the Champions Bowl. The average Super Bowl ad was $3.5 million in 2012, which is 3.2 times more than the $1,066,000 average BCS ad. I just don't see how the numbers work, but obvioulsy someone thinks they do.

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post

I think CFB revenue drops a lot over the next 10 years. The growth isn't sustainable and I am very comfortable saying it shouldn't be (universities should not be pro leagues - just ask PSU). Then again, I think 90% of the economics in the US are just effed up from the bottom to the top so what do I know.
    I wonder too how growth in revenue can be sustained especially with the slow economy. Many economists expect another decade of slow growth, maybe another severe recession. Most college football fans have less money to spend on entertainment. Bowl attendance has been down the past few years. Most of the Division 1 conferences have had drops in season attendance. While Americans are watching their dollar shrink in value, major college conferences continue to see big pay days. Unless the economy miraculously improves in the next few years, I see the "good times" ending abruptly and the televison sports networks facing major loses. The same can be said for most entertaiment like the movie and music industry. Like you gern, I think 90% of the economics in the US are just effed up from the bottom to the top so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post

I see you weren't a math major
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

I think $80M plus stadium bid makes it more than "just another bowl". This equals or surpasses what the Rose bowl pays out.