Effort of league champion criteria for playoff on ND future plans

With a league champion being one of the criteria for making the playoffs,does ND become a more serious candidate for league membership?

They will wait a few years and see how big a factor it becomes.

You know this how?

Quote Originally Posted by 133210Hokie View Post
    With a league champion being one of the criteria for making the playoffs,does ND become a more serious candidate for league membership?
    Since SOS is a big factor, Notre Dame may just remain an independent and hope they can land in the top 4. Their television contract with NBC ends at the end of the 2015 season. I guess they will renegotiate that contract between now and 2015 with NBC. If the contract pays less than the ACC or any other conference, then Notre Dame could consider full conference membership. I have no clue about the 6 BCS bowls and how much money they will bring each school and how the 6 bowls will be tied-in to individual conferences. I'm sure Notre Dame is looking to be tied in into at least one of those bowls.

IMHO, Notre Dame has a lot of things in their favor if they want to continue being a football independent. I think that NBC wants to be a player in the lucrative college game and will give Notre Dame a television deal similar to the payouts of individual SEC schools, if not larger. Notre Dame will probably remain in the Big East for all other sports (except ice hockey). The BE will still be a very good men's and women's basketball conference. The Big East will continue to treat Notre Dame like royalty and give them what they want. Remaining in the Big East will keep them in the Northeast and Chicagoland where most of their alumni live. I'm sure ND will play 2 to 3 BEFC teams each year in football. Lastly, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. Love it or hate it, they are America's #1 brand name in college football. I just can't see them giving up their independent status unless schools like USC, Michigan, Navy, and BC refuse to play them and they get offered a crappy televison deal. I don't see any of that happening since they are "Notre Dame."

I see the conference champion criterion applying more to situations like last year, when Oregon might have gotten in over Stanford. It's a card the committee can use for why they chose a #5 over a #4. I think Notre Dame will be looked at as being in a "conference" with the likes of USC, Navy, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue, and BC. If they win all those games, I think they'll be looked at like a conference champ. Now what would be interesting is if, say, Oregon goes 12-1 with a loss to USC, but wins the Pac-12, and Notre Dame goes 11-1 with their only loss being to USC. Would Oregon get a bump because they play in a defined conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Row5Q View Post
    I see the conference champion criterion applying more to situations like last year, when Oregon might have gotten in over Stanford. It's a card the committee can use for why they chose a #5 over a #4. I think Notre Dame will be looked at as being in a "conference" with the likes of USC, Navy, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue, and BC. If they win all those games, I think they'll be looked at like a conference champ. Now what would be interesting is if, say, Oregon goes 12-1 with a loss to USC, but wins the Pac-12, and Notre Dame goes 11-1 with their only loss being to USC. Would Oregon get a bump because they play in a defined conference?
    i think in most years, a 12-1 Pac12 champ and an 11-1 Notre Dame would both be safely in. i think the real debates will be between 1 loss league runners up and 2 loss league champs. i don't think this will be nearly controversial to the general public as people are making it out to be. only the fans of 1 or 2 schools will feel spurned and get pissed, the general public won't necessarily be right there with them the way they have with some of the #3's left out during the 2 team BCS years.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Considering Notre Dame hasn't been a serious contender for a national championship or the Top 4 in about 20 years, I don't think it has any impact on them or their decision to abandon independence.

With the schedule they've got this year, they'll be lucky to win 7 games.

all this "4 team playoff" does is make *EVERY* other bowl game truly meaningless. It'll be like watching NIT games.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i think in most years, a 12-1 Pac12 champ and an 11-1 Notre Dame would both be safely in. i think the real debates will be between 1 loss league runners up and 2 loss league champs. i don't think this will be nearly controversial to the general public as people are making it out to be. only the fans of 1 or 2 schools will feel spurned and get pissed, the general public won't necessarily be right there with them the way they have with some of the #3's left out during the 2 team BCS years.

Always thought when the BCS matched #1 against #2, that made the rest of the bowls "meaningless." It's meaningless unless your team, or your conference team, is playing in that bowl.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne