Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    how does 4x 20 team leagues improve anything?

    As it is, 12-tm leagues sort of suck because you barely see 1/2 your conference. 16-tm leagues will be a lot worse. Even if you could make the league work, each league won't be equal. I still think we would've been better served with seven 8-10 tm leagues like we used to have (sec, acc, be, b10, swc, b8, p10) but even this would suck to try to make into a playoff as you need to have 8 to really work right... maybe let top 2 midmajors/indies play for a spot.
    4 x 18 would be ideal, only because it would force leagues to essentially operate as 2 9 team leagues, and 9 has always been my ideal. 4 home, 4 away round robin. now, an 18 team league could always add a 9th or 10th game between cross overs to help enhance TV deals, but i wouldn't count those games towards the division standings.

    all that said, it's a pipe dream. there is ZERO chance that 4 leagues would be able to coordinate closely enough to come up with a nicely buttoned up 4x16 or 4x18 set up. they would all fight over members, some would refuse to take certain schools, etc. no one wants to be told what to do. i still think the B1G would stay at 13 if they somehow landed Notre Dame just to show people that they don't have to conform. they can make 13 work and we all have to like it.

    these are 11 (5 really) independent leagues with no commissioner overseeing any of them collectively. no chance we EVER see some well-organized, uniform structure amongst all of them. NONE!
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  2. #12
    PadrosWindup's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16, 2003
    Posts
    5,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fore Hokie's View Post
    I hope you are right! I am a fan of "Just do it", lets get things moving, hope we go to the SEC and don't miss a huge opportunity to get into one of the 4.

    I still don't see why the SEC would want go to 16. 14 is creating a messy 6-1-1 schedule, so East teams like UK and USCe will host BAMA or LSU once every 12 years. Adding aTm and Mizzou may only create one interesting rivalry - LSU/aTm - that can compete with LSU/BAMA, UF/TENN or AUBURN/UGA. Adding VT/UVA and NCS/UNC doesn't add any teams that will create games that CBS will want to show, and all other games are shown nationally on an ESPN network of some kind. Expanding inot VA and NC just creates more ESPNU time filler games for the SEC.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

  3. #13
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    I still don't see why the SEC would want go to 16. 14 is creating a messy 6-1-1 schedule, so East teams like UK and USCe will host BAMA or LSU once every 12 years. Adding aTm and Mizzou may only create one interesting rivalry - LSU/aTm - that can compete with LSU/BAMA, UF/TENN or AUBURN/UGA. Adding VT/UVA and NCS/UNC doesn't add any teams that will create games that CBS will want to show, and all other games are shown nationally on an ESPN network of some kind. Expanding inot VA and NC just creates more ESPNU time filler games for the SEC.
    money drives this. if the money is there, they will add teams. scheduling is a headache they are willing to deal with. if it came down to it, they would use scheduling pods to keep rivalries together. even if the league had to have 2 divisions EACH YEAR, those divisions could vary from year to year. point is, they would make it work if the money is there...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  4. #14

    Join Date
    September 03, 2002
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BurgsHokie View Post
    I think the ACC picks up two more and VT stays put.
    Can't see any 2 (without one being ND) that would be worth adding. No need to raid the Big East, no one is talking about them anymore. So you only add based on increasing value to all teams.

  5. #15
    PadrosWindup's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16, 2003
    Posts
    5,013
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    money drives this. if the money is there, they will add teams. scheduling is a headache they are willing to deal with. if it came down to it, they would use scheduling pods to keep rivalries together. even if the league had to have 2 divisions EACH YEAR, those divisions could vary from year to year. point is, they would make it work if the money is there...
    But is it really more money per team? CBS isn't making much increase to its contract with the SEC with the aTm/Mizzou addition, because nt compelling games were added that CBS wants to show. All that was added was a bunch of ESPN2/ESPNU filler that will be labelled SEWC football, but won't be the prime SEC matchups that drive TV revenue. Same thing will happen with an SEC expansion to add VT/NCSU. CBS will still focus on the traditional SEC powers - Bama, TENN, UGA, Auburn, LSU, FLA. VT or NCSU will only show up on CBS by playing one of these teams. VT nor NCSU nor Mizzou nor aTm can carry a CBS broadcast by themselves - there simply isn't the national interest in these programs.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

  6. #16
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    But is it really more money per team? CBS isn't making much increase to its contract with the SEC with the aTm/Mizzou addition, because nt compelling games were added that CBS wants to show. All that was added was a bunch of ESPN2/ESPNU filler that will be labelled SEWC football, but won't be the prime SEC matchups that drive TV revenue. Same thing will happen with an SEC expansion to add VT/NCSU. CBS will still focus on the traditional SEC powers - Bama, TENN, UGA, Auburn, LSU, FLA. VT or NCSU will only show up on CBS by playing one of these teams. VT nor NCSU nor Mizzou nor aTm can carry a CBS broadcast by themselves - there simply isn't the national interest in these programs.
    i wouldn't expect CBS to move up, their inventory doesn't change, and neither does their footprint since they are national. the money will come from ESPN who gains 8 conference games for every team that is added, and the soon to come SEC Network which will get a reported $.90-1.00 per subscriber in households in states with a conference member. adding members that add significant TV markets and households MORE than pays for itself. hell, the ACC doesn't even have an ACC Network and we just increased a 1 year old TV deal from $155MM/year to $240MM/year...a 55% increase with a membership increase of only 16.67%...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  7. #17

    Join Date
    November 29, 2009
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by JHHOKIE View Post
    the Big XII is done. They expect announcements in July. Something about August 1 and ACC membership.......did not understand.

    USE-e folks also said if this gets done, VT will be talked with and things could do quickly. NCST seems to be #16 in their thinking too.

    May or may not be nothing to this, but me thinks things are about to get interesting. More and more it appears that 4 20 team supers will come from this and these 4 will break off from the NCAA and form their own deal.

    We'll see. Me.....i would bet right now the 2 are gone too.
    I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, it, it just doesn't make sense. FSU and Clemson to the Big XII lacks all kinds of logic. There is essentially one reason they would move and that is more money, but all indications are that there isn't THAT much money. The Big XII is inferior in sports overall, is the worst rated academic conference in the BCS-level conferences, and it is run by Texas more like a mafia than UNC could ever wish in its wildest dreams, not to mention that FSU and Clemson have all their natural rivals right next door in-conference.

    I just don't see the logic in it.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    I still don't see why the SEC would want go to 16...
    There is only one reason that any conference would want to go to 16 teams, and that is the potential to have a Conference Final Four, along with a divisional structure. That's the only way that significantly more revenue would be generated. And that would take a change to the NCAA rules to do so. The Conference Championship Game already existed in the rules; the SEC was just the first conference to take advantage of it. However, the possibility of a waiver for a CF4 is not likely, as a purely post-season event. The only way I see it happening without a change to the NCAA rules is if you take away one regular season game, and have the last week of the season specifically stating the divisions will pair up A v B and C v D, and the #1s will play the #1s, the #2s will play the #2s, etc, so that you can have the semifinals in the regular season.

    Absent a Conference Final Four, nobody is going to 16 teams.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    There is only one reason that any conference would want to go to 16 teams, and that is the potential to have a Conference Final Four, along with a divisional structure. That's the only way that significantly more revenue would be generated. And that would take a change to the NCAA rules to do so. The Conference Championship Game already existed in the rules; the SEC was just the first conference to take advantage of it. However, the possibility of a waiver for a CF4 is not likely, as a purely post-season event. The only way I see it happening without a change to the NCAA rules is if you take away one regular season game, and have the last week of the season specifically stating the divisions will pair up A v B and C v D, and the #1s will play the #1s, the #2s will play the #2s, etc, so that you can have the semifinals in the regular season.

    Absent a Conference Final Four, nobody is going to 16 teams.
    I think this would be cool. You play everyone in your pod annually, one team from each of the other 3 pods yearly. Then a conference playoff between each of the #1's, #2's, #3's, #4's, etc.

    Although you do risk the possibility of having a lot of rematches this way, and that's no good...

    The more I think about it, the more I like having 6 conf x 12 teams or 8 conf x 8 teams. Definitely interesting watching this whole thing play out. Will make for a great documentary some day. Hopefully we get it right, and hopefully whatever happens works out for VT.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    November 18, 1999
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by JHHOKIE View Post
    the Big XII is done. They expect announcements in July. Something about August 1 and ACC membership.......did not understand.
    I saw somewhere else that 8/1 is some kind of withdrawal deadline for the ACC. Maybe even though there is an exit fee, it has to be announced by that date for the next year.
    Last edited by dallasvt; Thu Jun 07 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •