Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

2 folks in the USC-e athletic dept told me yesterday they believe the FSU and CU to

the Big XII is done. They expect announcements in July. Something about August 1 and ACC membership.......did not understand.

USE-e folks also said if this gets done, VT will be talked with and things could do quickly. NCST seems to be #16 in their thinking too.

May or may not be nothing to this, but me thinks things are about to get interesting. More and more it appears that 4 20 team supers will come from this and these 4 will break off from the NCAA and form their own deal.

We'll see. Me.....i would bet right now the 2 are gone too.

I hope you are right! I am a fan of "Just do it", lets get things moving, hope we go to the SEC and don't miss a huge opportunity to get into one of the 4.

how does 4x 20 team leagues improve anything?

As it is, 12-tm leagues sort of suck because you barely see 1/2 your conference. 16-tm leagues will be a lot worse. Even if you could make the league work, each league won't be equal. I still think we would've been better served with seven 8-10 tm leagues like we used to have (sec, acc, be, b10, swc, b8, p10) but even this would suck to try to make into a playoff as you need to have 8 to really work right... maybe let top 2 midmajors/indies play for a spot.

Believe things are gonna change

I will not be shocked when this is announced. Both are football schools, just like VT, and for a number of reasons the ACC is just simply "dead". VT officials better jump on the SEC wagon when the time comes or football at VT will be doomed!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fore Hokie's View Post
    I hope you are right! I am a fan of "Just do it", lets get things moving, hope we go to the SEC and don't miss a huge opportunity to get into one of the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by VT Rockie View Post
    I will not be shocked when this is announced. Both are football schools, just like VT, and for a number of reasons the ACC is just simply "dead". VT officials better jump on the SEC wagon when the time comes or football at VT will be doomed!!!
    I think the ACC picks up two more and VT stays put.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BurgsHokie View Post
    Unless the two more are Notre Dame and Penn State, we need to listen very carefully to the SEC overtures. But you're probably right that VT will stay in the ACC. Even if the League stays at 12 with Cuse and Pitt.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post

As it is, 12-tm leagues sort of suck because you barely see 1/2 your conference. 16-tm leagues will be a lot worse. Even if you could make the league work, each league won't be equal. I still think we would've been better served with seven 8-10 tm leagues like we used to have (sec, acc, be, b10, swc, b8, p10) but even this would suck to try to make into a playoff as you need to have 8 to really work right... maybe let top 2 midmajors/indies play for a spot.
    The 4 20 team conferences would split themselves into two 10-team divisions with a schedule of 9 in conference and 3 out of conference games. Then they play a championship game between the two divisions and the newly crowned 4 conference champs would create the four team playoff.
    As hard as a liquid sword

Quote Originally Posted by 2BurgsHokie View Post
    That would be a "worst-case" scenario for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post

It's all about the $$. 4 conf champs playing in a 4 team playoff after the bowls. People I talk to in the SEC..............between ESPN, CBS, and SEC TV, can see $40-$50 mill per team per year. Frankly, I can too.

The 4 conf will leave the NCAA and take all the money with them.

Think about it, you would have 8 10 team divisions, then 8 teams in the conf champ games, then 4 conf champs in a playoff. It's a playoff from the word go.

4 x 20 not likely and messy, but 5 x 16 works. That effectively creates 10, 8 team conferences, similar to old school, pre 90s college football. You play your 7 divional teams, 2 cross divisional teams on a rotational basis, and 3 out of conference games. 20 team conferences means 9 games in your own division, leaving only 3 to divide up between cross division and out of conference. The conference will want 2 cross division games but schools will want 2 out of conference due to revenue oppotunities. It's a mess and will result in some very boring/uncompetitive schedules.