Phil Steele's VT write-up is still available via direct link.

Kinda funny/sad that the Sugar Bowl was the second highest game grade of the season

I know many swear by Phil Steele, but I just don't see it. His predictions may (or may not, I'm not sure) be more accurate than some of the others, but his magazine is darned close to unreadable. He can't put five words in a row without either an obtuse abbreviation or interrupting the thought with statistics in parenthesis. Has he ever heard of using paragraphs and white space to make text readable?

Once you do read his analysis, he spends most of the time recapping irrelevant historical information instead of giving his thoughts on the upcoming season. Take the section on running backs, for example. I count a 22 line paragraph that is supposed to be about the 2012 VT running back situation. But the first 19 lines are devoted to Evans, Williams, Wilson, and Oglesby before he makes the first mention of a back that is actually on the 2012 roster.

For everything he wrote, there was only one sentence that actually has anything to do with 2012. It was the final sentence that said "This year they lose Oglesby and Wilson and even with the addition of 3 VHTís, I donít see another RB of Wilsonís caliber waiting in the wings so Iíll call them down a few notches."

For someone regarded as one of the best in the business, that strikes me as an incredibly shallow analysis. Instead of spending the time recapping the Evans, Williams, Wilson situation over the last four years, maybe some of that could have been spent providing the names of the freshmen running backs and projecting how their skills will (or won't) fit in with the VT offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tafkam Hokie View Post
    I know many swear by Phil Steele, but I just don't see it. His predictions may (or may not, I'm not sure) be more accurate than some of the others, but his magazine is darned close to unreadable. He can't put five words in a row without either an obtuse abbreviation or interrupting the thought with statistics in parenthesis. Has he ever heard of using paragraphs and white space to make text readable?

Once you do read his analysis, he spends most of the time recapping irrelevant historical information instead of giving his thoughts on the upcoming season. Take the section on running backs, for example. I count a 22 line paragraph that is supposed to be about the 2012 VT running back situation. But the first 19 lines are devoted to Evans, Williams, Wilson, and Oglesby before he makes the first mention of a back that is actually on the 2012 roster.

For everything he wrote, there was only one sentence that actually has anything to do with 2012. It was the final sentence that said "This year they lose Oglesby and Wilson and even with the addition of 3 VHT’s, I don’t see another RB of Wilson’s caliber waiting in the wings so I’ll call them down a few notches."

For someone regarded as one of the best in the business, that strikes me as an incredibly shallow analysis. Instead of spending the time recapping the Evans, Williams, Wilson situation over the last four years, maybe some of that could have been spent providing the names of the freshmen running backs and projecting how their skills will (or won't) fit in with the VT offense.
    God yes. +1000. I don't bother reading Phil because of all of this.

For everything he wrote, there was only one sentence that actually has anything to do with 2012. It was the final sentence that said "This year they lose Oglesby and Wilson and even with the addition of 3 VHTís, I donít see another RB of Wilsonís caliber waiting in the wings so Iíll call them down a few notches."

His magazine is all about statistics, which I'm really into. I pay very little attention to the writing.

For everything he wrote, there was only one sentence that actually has anything to do with 2012. It was the final sentence that said "This year they lose Oglesby and Wilson and even with the addition of 3 VHT’s, I don’t see another RB of Wilson’s caliber waiting in the wings so I’ll call them down a few notches."

I agree with everything you just said, Tafkam. I can get more, and much better, from the VT Media Guide.
    He who expecteth nothin ain't gonna be deceived.

He expects Redmen as starter at TE? That would be nice if he stepped up.

I think for the most part we played great in the Sugar Bowl. We dominated Michigan on defense, and our offense was pretty good. We just struggled in the red zone. Obviously that's what really matters at the end of the day, but I'm very encouraged by our performance in the Sugar Bowl. Michigan was a good team, and we were better - we just sucked in one of the many phases of the game(albeit an important one).

Keep in mind that at its core, PS's mag is for bettors.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDelNorte View Post
    He expects Redmen as starter at TE? That would be nice if he stepped up.
    Better than last year when he had Acree and McCray starting