Is b12 expansion a power play by SEC/ND?

SEC and ND oppose the conference champ model but are in the minority. So SEC works a deal with b12 on the bowl game in exchange for support for the highest ranked model. That gives SEC/ND 3 votes, but thats not enough. SEC works with b12 and ND to force the expansion issue. Knowing FSU is unhappy, they are an easy play. ND fakes interest in b12 and puts ACC in a tough spot. If the ACC supports the conference champ model, they commit conference suicide (b12 goes through with expansion plan), so ACC backs down to save their conference and give SEC/ND the highest ranked model. Texas is happy because they don't want to expand anyway.

However, I'm not sure how many votes SEC/ND need to secure the highest ranked model. Anyone know for sure? I think buggzy said it was only 7 votes. If so, SEC/ND would have 4 once the ACC backs down.

Quote Originally Posted by 12volthokie View Post
    SEC and ND oppose the conference champ model but are in the minority. So SEC works a deal with b12 on the bowl game in exchange for support for the highest ranked model. That gives SEC/ND 3 votes, but thats not enough. SEC works with b12 and ND to force the expansion issue. Knowing FSU is unhappy, they are an easy play. ND fakes interest in b12 and puts ACC in a tough spot. If the ACC supports the conference champ model, they commit conference suicide (b12 goes through with expansion plan), so ACC backs down to save their conference and give SEC/ND the highest ranked model. Texas is happy because they don't want to expand anyway.

However, I'm not sure how many votes SEC/ND need to secure the highest ranked model. Anyone know for sure? I think buggzy said it was only 7 votes. If so, SEC/ND would have 4 once the ACC backs down.
    It's like politics in congress, it's all about leverage.

Doesn't work by majority vote. Agreement must be by consensus. More disagreement makes it more difficult for the committee chairman (Steger, ironically) to say there is a consensus in favor of the conference champion alternative.

If you want politics, dwell on Steger's role. If we Hokies think real hard it might occur to us that Steger might not want to alienate the SEC right now.

When all is said and done, I think there will be an opening for Notre Dame, BYU and other independent programs to be a part of the playoff system. I'm guessing there will be something in place that guarantees a conference champion a spot in the playoffs if they are ranked in the top 4. An independent team could take a spot if they are ranked in the top 4 AND the next closest conference champion is not ranked in the top 6. If two teams from the same conference are ranked in the top 4 AND there are 3 or fewer conference champions ranked in the top 6, then two teams from the same conference may participate in the playoff provided one of the teams is the conference champion. In no case should a second team be allowed to bump a conference champion if the champion is ranked six or higher. Nor should both an independent team AND a second conference team both be allowed to participate in a given year. I would give preference to the independent team in seasons where both might otherwise qualify. In other words, a conference runner up would be the team of last resort when filling playoff spots.

wasn't me, as i don't believe there is a vote. pretty sure all 11 conferences and Notre Dame basically just sit around a table until they can all nod their heads in agreement.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I think maybe bowl deal with Big 12 was essentially SEC deciding they wanted Big 12 to survive instead of ACC. That would make a lot of sense if SEC wanted to bring in a couple ACC schools.

Acc went with sec over money

Nd and pac12 wanted conference champs and acc sided originally with them . Big 10 was happy . Nd finally boxed in but acc changed. Sec made a dem where that if a conference does not participate they still get the same revenue as participants - other wards equal sharing. And I do think acc change caused nd to agree to go into discussions for partial acc membership .

Big 10 felt they had nd finally boxed in acc over money gave nd a way out again .. That was the last straw for big 10 and the acc.