Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Still have to be highest ranked conference champion. Also Utah smacked Alabama not that long ago in the Sugar Bowl...so there are teams from the not so well known conferences that beat good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseevol View Post
    With four teams only and filling those slots with conference champions you will have the same stuff we have now. There would be at least one of those four rated #5,6 or 7 that gets a seat at the table and better teams that deserve to be there left out. Its just not right.

Don't forget....this stuff cycles. There will be years the SEC will be down and other conferences much stronger. If FSU or CU are strong as gangbusters and our SEC teams were lukewarm wouldn't it be wrong for us to get an automatic qualifier when both your teams were better than our conference champion?
    I think every major conference champ should have the right to participate in the playoffs. It happens all the time in sports. Usually the team performing the best wins the championship. St. Louis won the World Series last year but they had the worst record among MLB playoff teams. Several Wild Card teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have won the Super Bowl. The lowest seed team in the NHL West, LA Kings, is in the Stanley Cup Finals. NC State and Villanova won NCAA Men's Basketball championships as lower seeded teams. Should all these championships be discredited? All those teams qualified to make the playoffs. So if a 9-3 Auburn defeats a 12-0 Florida team in the SEC Championship game, Auburn deserves to go. I'm sure a 12-1 UF team would be one of the other 3 teams to qualify. It's also possible that the 12-1 Florida team could win it all or even lose to a #10 ranked Pac 12 champ Oregon (just an example) in the national championship game. It happens a lot in sports on every level from pee wee league, high school, college, and pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    SEC will vote 3 highest ranked conference champs plus one at large
    ND will vote similar to the SEC so they can get in as independent
    Big Texas (12) vote similar hoping they can get ND for all other sports, but football

ACC votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)
    B1G votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)
    PAC votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)

6 other FBS conferences want access and don't want ND as an independent and SEC #2 to bump them:
    6 votes for the highest ranked conference champions (best chance they have to make the National Champ)

I have this going 9-3, but easily and I mean easily 7-5 for highest ranked conference champions.

So what you say? Forces ND to a conference to get to the National Championship and I am as convinced as I was 9 years ago that the conference they want into is none other than...the ACC.

It gives them the east coast, it gives them other academic private or private like schools and it gives them an easier access to the National Championship game if the highest ranked conference champion rule passes. You know if ND wins the conference the way voters favor them...they will be ranked high enough to play in the 4 team playoff.
    The vote when it comes will be unanamous. The 12 conference commissioners will reach a consensus before any vote is taken. There will be give and take but in the end they will come together on a plan.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Does each FBS conference have an equal vote? Isn't the BCS controlled by the 6 AQ conferences plus ND? If that is so then there would only be 7 votes or maybe 8 if the AQ conferences let the non AQ have a vote. Don't know if the above is true but if it is, then we are only talking 8 votes total and I am betting that they would have some kind of rule that requires a 3/4 majority vote to accept whatever playoff is on the table. That means that the SEC, Big 12, and ND could filibuster any decision for conference champs only. I just can't imagine that the AQ folks are going to let the non AQ folks hold that much leverage. However I am hoping that you are right because in my opinion the only way to have a national championship is to allow only conference champs to participate. Last year Bama had their chance in the regular season and they blew it. A second bite at the apple was a miscarriage of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    SEC will vote 3 highest ranked conference champs plus one at large
    ND will vote similar to the SEC so they can get in as independent
    Big Texas (12) vote similar hoping they can get ND for all other sports, but football

ACC votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)
    B1G votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)
    PAC votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)

6 other FBS conferences want access and don't want ND as an independent and SEC #2 to bump them:
    6 votes for the highest ranked conference champions (best chance they have to make the National Champ)

I have this going 9-3, but easily and I mean easily 7-5 for highest ranked conference champions.

So what you say? Forces ND to a conference to get to the National Championship and I am as convinced as I was 9 years ago that the conference they want into is none other than...the ACC.

It gives them the east coast, it gives them other academic private or private like schools and it gives them an easier access to the National Championship game if the highest ranked conference champion rule passes. You know if ND wins the conference the way voters favor them...they will be ranked high enough to play in the 4 team playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I would be for an 8 team playoff with the 5 major conference champions (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC), plus the highest rated remaining teams in the polls. That would make the SEC happy and everyone else except the BEFC and the other lesser FBS conferences like the MAC and CUSA.
    That is off the table. They have already agreed on 4 teams. All they are looking at now is the format.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Ha! It kills them that the two best teams from the toughest conference in the land were playing and not one of their little members.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhokie1 View Post
    3 champs plus one at large is silly, a 4 team playoff shouldn't have a wildcard team. What league adds wildcard teams to its playoff with only 4 teams in the playoffs. Go to eight if you want at large teams. Otherwise just conference champions.
    So basically any team not in the Big XII, Big Ten, SEC or Pac-12 will never have a chance to play for the title? Yeah, that makes sense...
    Last edited by Hateful Hokie; Sat May 26 2012 at 01:12 AM.

Ha! It kills them that the two best teams from the toughest conference in the land were playing and not one of their little members.
    Did you want to see a Michigan-Ohio State rematch in 2006? It will kill any conference including yours to see a rematch.

Notre Dame has been irrelevant for years and should be treated like anyone else. A playoff composed of the BEST teams (#1 through 8) would solve everything. If ND is in the top 8 then fine. If not they should not get any special considerations with anything. What do you say?
    They are irrelevant with their play on the field but it's still Notre Dame, fair or not.

Maybe...I think ND is in a different situation with their big donors wanting them to stay independent. I think they need to tell them we tried, but got out voted. I also think the SEC would like to see two SEC teams in the finals every year. They made a ton of money last year. So I think it will be hard for Slive to tell his fans that he voted for conference champions only. Dodds with the Big 12 has already said if everybody wants the conference champions model that he would vote for it.