Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tennesseevol View Post
    A playoff with conference champions is a recipe for disaster. Thats letting weak teams in with better teams sitting at home with one loss. Hope the SEC NEVER agrees to something like that. Gotta have the BEST teams....not conference champs, imo.
    I feel differently. If you can't even win your conference, you have NO legitimate claim to a National Championship. None.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I feel differently. If you can't even win your conference, you have NO legitimate claim to a National Championship. None.
    Better talk to the folks down at Alabama after last year. Bama had one loss but turned out to be the best team in the country.

There are going to be better second and third place teams from a strong conference better than many conference champs. That is why the best teams need to fill playoff slots. Heck, take the top eight teams. That should be a good playoff.

that is a game that should not have been played

Better talk to the folks down at Alabama after last year. Bama had one loss but turned out to be the best team in the country.

There are going to be better second and third place teams from a strong conference better than many conference champs. That is why the best teams need to fill playoff slots. Heck, take the top eight teams. That should be a good playoff.
    I don't care if they were the best team or not. LSU had earned the right to be there. Alabama hadnt

I don't think a team earns the right to be there if they are a champion from a weak conference. We agree to disagree?

I would be for an 8 team playoff with the 5 major conference champions (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC), plus the highest rated remaining teams in the polls. That would make the SEC happy and everyone else except the BEFC and the other lesser FBS conferences like the MAC and CUSA.

Divide into 2 divisions and then they only need to play 7 teams. That still leaves 4 OOC games.

USC-W and Navy are must. Michigan and Purdue are not as big to ND as they are to Michigan and Purdue.

PS I could see ND bringing Navy instead of UConn...the ACC will not vote Navy out if it means losing ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I would be for an 8 team playoff with the 5 major conference champions (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC), plus the highest rated remaining teams in the polls. That would make the SEC happy and everyone else except the BEFC and the other lesser FBS conferences like the MAC and CUSA.
    With four teams only and filling those slots with conference champions you will have the same stuff we have now. There would be at least one of those four rated #5,6 or 7 that gets a seat at the table and better teams that deserve to be there left out. Its just not right.

Don't forget....this stuff cycles. There will be years the SEC will be down and other conferences much stronger. If FSU or CU are strong as gangbusters and our SEC teams were lukewarm wouldn't it be wrong for us to get an automatic qualifier when both your teams were better than our conference champion?

Notre Dame has been irrelevant for years and should be treated like anyone else. A playoff composed of the BEST teams (#1 through 8) would solve everything. If ND is in the top 8 then fine. If not they should not get any special considerations with anything. What do you say?

It's about the votes and not what you and I think. There are 11 conferences and ND voting. Do you really think the other conferences want to see a SEC West re-match again?

That game was not fair for LSU or Oklahoma State. It should have never been played.

The bottom line is that the SEC and ND want an at large, but they only have two votes. Tell me who else with a vote wants to see an at large bid? I gave you the Big 12 that missed the championship game with Oklahoma State so they can cut a deal with ND, but who else wants an at large? It is about the people voting and not what you and I think.