Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

12 votes for how you pick the 4 team playoff....so how will this vote work out?

Sorry posters this was a mistake by me in misunderstanding an ESPN article. The Big 6 and ND get the votes, but I did find this quote and article.

"Swarbrick, like Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, thinks a final decision regarding a playoff will be made on June 20. As it pertains to the selection process, just about all of the “Big 6″ leagues have come out in favor of a conference champion-only model, with SEC commissioner Mike Slive being the biggest proponent of a field consisting of the top four teams from the regular season regardless of whether they won their conference championship or not."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...oom-for-irish/
    Last edited by Stech; Sat May 26 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    SEC will vote 3 highest ranked conference champs plus one at large
    ND will vote similar to the SEC so they can get in as independent
    Big Texas (12) vote similar hoping they can get ND for all other sports, but football

ACC votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)
    B1G votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)
    PAC votes highest ranked conference champions (said so already)

6 other FBS conferences want access and don't want ND as an independent and SEC #2 to bump them:
    6 votes for the highest ranked conference champions (best chance they have to make the National Champ)

I have this going 9-3, but easily and I mean easily 7-5 for highest ranked conference champions.

So what you say? Forces ND to a conference to get to the National Championship and I am as convinced as I was 9 years ago that the conference they want into is none other than...the ACC.

It gives them the east coast, it gives them other academic private or private like schools and it gives them an easier access to the National Championship game if the highest ranked conference champion rule passes. You know if ND wins the conference the way voters favor them...they will be ranked high enough to play in the 4 team playoff.
    It's going to be either 3 highest ranked conference champions of the Big 5 with an at-large OR BCS-lite with the plus 1 playoff (top 4 ranked teams in a +1 playoff). There's no way there isn't an opportunity for an at-large team to make the playoff. That would get Congress involved pretty much immediately, which is the last thing the Big 5 want. Plus I don't think fans would want that either--I certainly don't want it where there is literally zero chance for a team to make play for the national title no matter how good they are.

if it is apparent the SEC and ND can't get an at large team in, they will propose to go to 8. doubt if they will get it (and I wouldn't mind if they do), but they will try.

Big Texas (12) vote similar hoping they can get ND for all other sports, but football

6 other FBS conferences want access and don't want ND as an independent and SEC #2 to bump them:
    6 votes for the highest ranked conference champions (best chance they have to make the National Champ)

I have this going 9-3, but easily and I mean easily 7-5 for highest ranked conference champions.

So what you say? Forces ND to a conference to get to the National Championship and I am as convinced as I was 9 years ago that the conference they want into is none other than...the ACC.

It gives them the east coast, it gives them other academic private or private like schools and it gives them an easier access to the National Championship game if the highest ranked conference champion rule passes. You know if ND wins the conference the way voters favor them...they will be ranked high enough to play in the 4 team playoff.

3 champs plus one at large is silly, a 4 team playoff shouldn't have a wildcard team. What league adds wildcard teams to its playoff with only 4 teams in the playoffs. Go to eight if you want at large teams. Otherwise just conference champions.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the BCS or whatever it becomes will provide a way for a highly ranked Notre Dame to have access to the Championship without joining a conference. It may include some revenue sharing to compensate a conference if ND or another At Large team bumps their champion from the playoff.
    I cannot believe ND football will join a conference until the top 4 or 5 conferences decide to leave the NCAA/BCS and announce they will hold their own championship playoff with only their conference teams invited.
    If the ACC wants Notre Dame, they need to invite them to join just for the Olympic Sports. Otherwise they will eventually end up somewhere else and stay there when they have to add football.

One strike against the ACC for ND is that the ACC will be a 16 team league. That makes it difficult for them to keep games going with their traditional rivals (Navy, USC, Mich, Mich St, and Stanford). Maybe there is a way for them to do it if the ACC goes to the pod format but I dont see how they could keep all of those teams on their schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhokie1 View Post
    3 champs plus one at large is silly, a 4 team playoff shouldn't have a wildcard team. What league adds wildcard teams to its playoff with only 4 teams in the playoffs. Go to eight if you want at large teams. Otherwise just conference champions.
    Depends. The BCS had/has the objective of having the two best teams to play in the championship. Do you think for a second a #1 or #2 ranked independent Notre Dame will not have a way to participate? Just not going to happen. As for a conference having 2 teams, that probably will not happen until there is an 8 team playoff.

I would only want at-larges with 8. Or unless all a schools started playing REAL OOC schedules.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhokie1 View Post

A playoff with conference champions is a recipe for disaster. Thats letting weak teams in with better teams sitting at home with one loss. Hope the SEC NEVER agrees to something like that. Gotta have the BEST teams....not conference champs, imo.

Do you want ND to stay independent? If not, what is your solution to forcing them to join a conference?

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseevol View Post
    A playoff with conference champions is a recipe for disaster. Thats letting weak teams in with better teams sitting at home with one loss. Hope the SEC NEVER agrees to something like that. Gotta have the BEST teams....not conference champs, imo.