Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Point is, they wouldn't be. Not in a 16 team conference. But play fantasy football all you wish, because you don't have to deal with the logistics of reality that way.

If Nebraska can fill an 80,000 seat stadium in one of the smallest state in the US, with a smaller student body than VT, VT can fill a 75,000 stadium with an SEC schedule. Of course we'd have to win.

Baloney! Playing Austin Pea, Bowling Green, and Wake is what gets old and leaves empty seats. We fit the SEC better than Vandy and as well as Ole Miss and most others

Quote Originally Posted by crooked road View Post
    No, playing fantasy football gets old. We seldom fill the stadium. I know a lot of folks on TSL love to envy SEC football. We're not them. No matter how much some on here desire, we won't be them.
    The fantasy of playing Alabama in Lane every 3rd or 4th year won't pay for a massive addition to the stadium. But, when you play with fantasies - 'ya never know'. Even if you're totally disconnected from reality, you still have the fantasy.
    This isn't necessarily about US, this is about the added demand that we would bring on by joining the SEC when all their fans come and invade every weekend. The demand for opponents tickets would skyrocket, and we'd need additional capacity to capitalize on it. Literally every conference game would sell out (cept for KY and Vandy). We'd be stupid to not expand.

There is not a team in the SEC that is as boring as ACC football

exactly, if you go to 16 team conferences you are not playing all the teams and the big draws every few years at home if that i am doubting playing ky or miss state or vanderbilt is filling a 100k seat stadium in the burg

Quote Originally Posted by crooked road View Post
    Point is, they wouldn't be. Not in a 16 team conference. But play fantasy football all you wish, because you don't have to deal with the logistics of reality that way.

except in NE you have corn and NE football, and that is it, VA has a ton more to do and many more schools than NE

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    If Nebraska can fill an 80,000 seat stadium in one of the smallest state in the US, with a smaller student body than VT, VT can fill a 75,000 stadium with an SEC schedule. Of course we'd have to win.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    exactly, if you go to 16 team conferences you are not playing all the teams and the big draws every few years at home if that i am doubting playing ky or miss state or vanderbilt is filling a 100k seat stadium in the burg
    Even Vandy fans are more passionate and travel better than Wake an Tarholes

It doesn't matter which sec schools comes to Blacksburg. Tell me which SEC schools won't sell out and fill Lane? It's a short list - you might have 1, at most 2, league games a year that aren't so hot. That's at least three huge league games, and UVa every other year. Schedule your dog FCS home game in September when everybody shows up anyway, and you've got a full stadium nearly every week.

I miss about half our home games now because they are terrible opponents. I would never miss Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, or USC. Kentucky sounds pretty good to, as do Ole Miss and Mizzou. Vandy and Miss State I could skip. That's one dog home game per year in the SEC slate.

you have bought into the hype way to much, the entire sec does not travel to all road games, and remember VT would be the farthest they would have to travel. We have played LSU in the burg, they brought some fans but not the massive number you predict and that was when the economy was doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    This isn't necessarily about US, this is about the added demand that we would bring on by joining the SEC when all their fans come and invade every weekend. The demand for opponents tickets would skyrocket, and we'd need additional capacity to capitalize on it. Literally every conference game would sell out (cept for KY and Vandy). We'd be stupid to not expand.