Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

What would it take to expand our stadium to seat 75-80K

Have a feeling that if we're ever to join the SEC, we'll need more stadium seating. What do we gain if the North endzone is expanded like the South? (Not sure, but don't think that would add that many additional seats.) Aside from narrowing the seats to get more people into the stadium, what's next?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Have a feeling that if we're ever to join the SEC, we'll need more stadium seating. What do we gain if the North endzone is expanded like the South? (Not sure, but don't think that would add that many additional seats.) Aside from narrowing the seats to get more people into the stadium, what's next?
    Yeah...Its been discussed. Any construction in the NEZ would take out a significant chunk of the current practice facility and would only net a few thousand extra seats. Probably the only way to get to 80K would be to tear down the entire East side and build some sort of cantilever/double-decker deal there. Of course, that would take out more trees, so....

I don't know if you realize, that the university is maintaining a limit on borrowing to make sure it can finance the university's needs. Right now they have two huge efforts being financed from AJ dorm, new dining hall, the performing arts center, and the new engineering school building. They are in programming for the new practice facility. WIth the Extreme limits of investment in higher education by the state administration, this is the only revenue source the university has. Also, the university must manage is debt ratio, and while its great, the university is close to its managed borrowing capacity. Therefore financing a 50-75 million capital project relying on borrowing is really unlikely for next 5-10 years. Also, for the ACC the stadium is right size. however, if it goes to the SEC they have bank the extra dollars needed to finance this additional investment.

I know this has been discussed, but can the corners be filled in? I'm not an engineer and I believe folks have said that it can't be done, but why not?

Maybe construct a new north end zone area and attach it to the east and west side?

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Yeah...Its been discussed. Any construction in the NEZ would take out a significant chunk of the current practice facility and would only net a few thousand extra seats. Probably the only way to get to 80K would be to tear down the entire East side and build some sort of cantilever/double-decker deal there. Of course, that would take out more trees, so....
    They really went short-sighted with the expansion to the West side. As pretty as it may be, it completely capped that whole sideline of the stadium at a very low number of physical seats for a venue that supports a "Big time" program such as ourselves. We may seriously have to tear down part of that structure in order to get the additional seats that we'd need for the demand that would come in the SEC. That is, unless we could find a way to slap a 2nd deck on the East without having to completely renovate.

Eventually the North End Zone will need to be built up to meet the size of the South, eventually. But to do that, we could take a page out of Ohio State and just bleacher it all the way up to make it a sea of student seating so we could open up the entire East stands to alumni. The South could be expanded sideways and up to better fill in the gaps in the corners, and get us more seats upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVT View Post
    I know this has been discussed, but can the corners be filled in? I'm not an engineer and I believe folks have said that it can't be done, but why not?

Maybe construct a new north end zone area and attach it to the east and west side?
    To the best of my recollection, if a new construction project touches an older project (i.e. the current stands), the older section also has to be brought up to current code, which would have cost a great deal of additional cash. Thus the south EZ was built in that manner...
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

don't hold your breath

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post

I guess that makes sense.

Could a gap be left (about a foot) between the old and new?

you are truly nuts, what money tree is in your yard? beside the fact that the west side cannot go back further and you can't fill the corners and we wipe out a brand new practice facility by expanding the north EZ, the stadium is fine, we filled it up maybe twice last year and the home schedule is not great this year. And lots of people have gotten tired of the constant demand for more money and have stopped buying season tickets. All do not bode well for your multi million dollar expansion

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    They really went short-sighted with the expansion to the West side. As pretty as it may be, it completely capped that whole sideline of the stadium at a very low number of physical seats for a venue that supports a "Big time" program such as ourselves. We may seriously have to tear down part of that structure in order to get the additional seats that we'd need for the demand that would come in the SEC. That is, unless we could find a way to slap a 2nd deck on the East without having to completely renovate.

Eventually the North End Zone will need to be built up to meet the size of the South, eventually. But to do that, we could take a page out of Ohio State and just bleacher it all the way up to make it a sea of student seating so we could open up the entire East stands to alumni. The South could be expanded sideways and up to better fill in the gaps in the corners, and get us more seats upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    don't hold your breath
    I know the athletic dept has done some internal engineering studies on potential expansion scenarios. First all know that the initial east end expansion was not well thought of. (We didn't have the brightest most strategic leadership at the time). ALso, we really boxed ourselves in on the west end as well. While we were pursuing the addition we should have built in capacity for an additional deck if needed.

The corner additions frankly can be built as "inserts'. separate component seating. Also on the north side, again if the athletic dept would be willing to invest in some imagitive structural components, they could make it work. However, cost would increase and they would look at Return of investment on the seats provided versus cost to construct the structure. This cost might not make a good business case.