Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Zeke Vodka View Post
    He would be upset if he found out a program "coerced" or talked the kid into coming out a year early. ... And yes, one would wonder if a college program missed out on their spring targets, so decided to raid a program of a player this late....That very well might be a fracture in a relationship moving foward if that happened...Its just a part of this business but its not the proper way to do business in some minds....

I would have a problem with a college program taking one of my kids that was committed to me for next year this late. Especially if it was sudden, without anyone talking with me and they didnt go through me. Leaving me with a gaping hole at a position. By going behind my back and convincing the kid to leave after making that commitment....

Again, I am not speaking for Chad, only saying what I would feel in his position and what some others might feel as well...Its a cut throat business at times and often is survival of the fittest...Things like this dont make you friends, thats for sure...
    I still don't get it.

Collins has apparently already decided to come out for 2012. If we pass on him, he's still going to college somewhere else, no? Or is there a chance that he'd stick with them and come out in 2013?

If we were the ones that enticed him to come out early, then we've already screwed over the prep coach and he has a legitimate beef. That beef would be every bit as legitimate if we passed on him and someone else took him. If we didn't entice him to come out early, it's not our fault.

It certainly sucks to have your roster decimated with mostly leftovers available to fill it in. That's a position that 2012 VT basketball knows a thing or two about. But if we didn't do the decimating, I say go for it.

The kid haS DECIDED TO PLAY COLLEGE BALL NOW SO WHY NOT TECH. We didnt rock the boat.If he likes us that well, he should be happy he comes here.

I agree. A google search revealed a pay 247 article that I can't access, but the free headline confirms a VT offer a while back that was good for either 2012 or 2013, so the option has been there for a few months, or longer

exactly........ if he's gonna go somewhere it might as well be Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Zeke Vodka View Post
    He is pretty good actually. I like him a lot and as i said in another post he was one of my personal top 3 point guard targets we were chasing in the '13 class. But it isnt that he is still around, but rather that all year he was in the '13 class and people were evaluating and recruiting him as such. Then voila, he goes to his coach yesterday and out of the clear blue says he will come out in the '12 class. No advance word at all, just boom,im coming out...So there had to be schools in his ear trying to get him to do that...Anyone that picks up the kid now will look like they have dirt on their fingers, whether they actively discussed with the kid beforehand or merely end up getting the kid...Its going to look like they were complicit in all this either way and thats where the appearance of impropriety can damage you even IF you did nothing wrong...That can hurt you with other prep coaches and situations as well because they are watching what is going on....The stink and downside to doing something under these circumstances might very well far outweigh any upside..And it could hurt you for awhile...

But your point about having to be worth all the fuss is a sound one indeed....It really is something where you need to look at the big picture in all this and not just the quickie, instant gratification grab at something....
    Assuming VT did not "tamper" with Collins, would it be appropriate for VT to approach his coach and get the OK to talk with the kid?

Not really, that would harm future relations with the school.

Quote Originally Posted by TabbHokie View Post
    I agree. A google search revealed a pay 247 article that I can't access, but the free headline confirms a VT offer a while back that was good for either 2012 or 2013, so the option has been there for a few months, or longer
    The offer was for 2013, not 2012..Because that was the class he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    I still don't get it.

Collins has apparently already decided to come out for 2012. If we pass on him, he's still going to college somewhere else, no? Or is there a chance that he'd stick with them and come out in 2013?

If we were the ones that enticed him to come out early, then we've already screwed over the prep coach and he has a legitimate beef. That beef would be every bit as legitimate if we passed on him and someone else took him. If we didn't entice him to come out early, it's not our fault.

It certainly sucks to have your roster decimated with mostly leftovers available to fill it in. That's a position that 2012 VT basketball knows a thing or two about. But if we didn't do the decimating, I say go for it.
    The coach doesnt know who it is that has been talking the kid into coming out. Probably more than one school perhaps. The fact that it totally blindsided Chad Meyers means it was done behind his back.Meaning you never will know which schools were doing this and how many. So if he ends up at Tech, how would Chad not think Tech wasnt one of those or the school? Is it worth that?

And, since this was done behind Chad's back by other colleges leaving him in a bind, other prep coaches are watching this resolution. Stink is going to be all over the school that ends up with Collins. Regardless of whether they were actually initially involved in the coercion of Collins...So those other prep schools will now be very leery as well...You are creating bad blood in a number of places, most notably a Virginia prep situation that can be very fruitful and useful for you moving forward...No one player is worth that. And I happen to like Collins a lot. So much so that he was my second favorite point guard target on Tech's point guard board...But the possible damage you are doing just isnt worth it. Even if you have acted above board...Like i said earlier, its not so much the truth in this business, but the perception that shapes and influences opinions. And whoever gets Collins will be perceived as someone that went behind Chad's back and convinced the kid to comeout without so much as informing his own coach so that he could be finding a suitable replacement...Reagardless of whether that perception actually was clothed in reality...Chad could have been out the entire the month of April when there tournaments every weekend, looking for Corban's replacement had he known. Or during the month of May when he had 3 additional AAU weekends to find a possible replacement...If he had been kept in the loop on this... Thats just not right, nor the way to do business in my opinion, while trying to keep avenues open for you in the future....

Now it appears the majority of the people here on the board disagree with me. Thats fine because Im not afraid to take a position that not many share. We will just have to agree to have a significant difference of opinion on this matter...

I'm sure you're right, but the article from 5 months ago says Rob Ehsan led the recruiting effort for VT, that the offer was for 2012 or 2013, with a quote from Collins that he was considering the offer and was leaning 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by crooked road View Post
    It would be great to get him, but even better to do it the 'right' way, keeping future relationships in mind. I've not read your assessment of him yet, I need to do that. I don't think we can find anyone who is going to turn 12/13 into a magical season for us, so I'm hoping Johnson (I refuse to call him JJ) is focused on 13/14 season and beyond.

Everyone's going to cut Johnson slack next year, but then the ratchet will tighten up fairly quickly, I'd say. Here's hoping he builds a foundation as solidly and quickly as Greenberg did at the beginning of his tenure.
    If "JJ" is James Johnson's nickname, what's the issue?