Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Not sure why we would worry to much about Coach Meyers considering we have only had 1 commit from his program in recent years. And that player transferred out before playing a game?? I understand that Massanutten can produce good/great talent but if this kid is worth a scollie I say play ball VT. Given I am no where near Rev's level of knowledge and understanding of bball recruiting, just my opinion and desire to see a successful VT bball team asap...

He's only been there 1 year. Coached at Radford under B Greenberg before he got this gig. Has been friends with JJ when they bth worked for the Greenbergs, so unless he was really peeved at this, would be hard to see how this would ruin their friendship / relationship.

Didn't know he is new to the position but glad to know now thanks. I have to agree that it shouldn't ruin a relationship with a coach especially if he and JJ are friends with a long standing relationship, he should want someone like that to have a good player even if he is leaving his school unexpectedly right??

That's how I would see it..

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    Doesn't sound like it's worth burning that bridge.
    Exactly. You want as many friends as possible with Prep situations. Aside from it being wrong to screw around with a friends livelihood, there is also the future situation of players. Many people seem to just look at the one avenue of how many players you get from a program. Equally as important is knowing you have a situation where you provide a prospect to that program...Maybe a kid from different time zone, maybe a kid that has played in a low competition situation and you want his final year to be played at a high level, competitive environment that will test him...Maybe you simply want to "stash" a foreign prospect at a friendly place as you assess his development....Having a situation where the proximity of the school is close enough for you to get up there regularly AND the prospect to be able to get to your campus frequently, AND have a coach that will protect your interests AND even provide transportation for the kid is invaluable....

You dont want to burn those bridges, because there arent enough situations where you can trust coaches to keep poachers away...Sometimes its just the appearance of impropriety that can damage a relationship....Thats why a person might decide one individual recruiting situation isnt worth risking a fruitful relationship that could be very beneficial every year with a school....

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Zeke Vodka View Post
    Exactly. You want as many friends as possible with Prep situations. Aside from it being wrong to screw around with a friends livelihood, there is also the future situation of players. Many people seem to just look at the one avenue of how many players you get from a program. Equally as important is knowing you have a situation where you provide a prospect to that program...Maybe a kid from different time zone, maybe a kid that has played in a low competition situation and you want his final year to be played at a high level, competitive environment that will test him...Maybe you simply want to "stash" a foreign prospect at a friendly place as you assess his development....Having a situation where the proximity of the school is close enough for you to get up there regularly AND the prospect to be able to get to your campus frequently, AND have a coach that will protect your interests AND even provide transportation for the kid is invaluable....

You dont want to burn those bridges, because there arent enough situations where you can trust coaches to keep poachers away...Sometimes its just the appearance of impropriety that can damage a relationship....Thats why a person might decide one individual recruiting situation isnt worth risking a fruitful relationship that could be very beneficial every year with a school....
    Not to mention a player would have to be really groundbreaking to be worth all the fuss. Not knowing about this player, I feel safe in saying if he's still around, he's not groundbreaking. He may be good, but not THAT good.

Quote Originally Posted by crooked road View Post
    Not to mention a player would have to be really groundbreaking to be worth all the fuss. Not knowing about this player, I feel safe in saying if he's still around, he's not groundbreaking. He may be good, but not THAT good.
    He is pretty good actually. I like him a lot and as i said in another post he was one of my personal top 3 point guard targets we were chasing in the '13 class. But it isnt that he is still around, but rather that all year he was in the '13 class and people were evaluating and recruiting him as such. Then voila, he goes to his coach yesterday and out of the clear blue says he will come out in the '12 class. No advance word at all, just boom,im coming out...So there had to be schools in his ear trying to get him to do that...Anyone that picks up the kid now will look like they have dirt on their fingers, whether they actively discussed with the kid beforehand or merely end up getting the kid...Its going to look like they were complicit in all this either way and thats where the appearance of impropriety can damage you even IF you did nothing wrong...That can hurt you with other prep coaches and situations as well because they are watching what is going on....The stink and downside to doing something under these circumstances might very well far outweigh any upside..And it could hurt you for awhile...

But your point about having to be worth all the fuss is a sound one indeed....It really is something where you need to look at the big picture in all this and not just the quickie, instant gratification grab at something....

Quote Originally Posted by BWS View Post
    That's how I would see it..
    Seems like the smart play to JJ, even if he or a member of his staff was the one prompting Collins to leave, would be to wait to get the blessing from Meyers before publicly going after Collins. I would have to agree, if Meyers and JJ are friends, you'd think Meyers would rather JJ end up with him than somebody else.

It would be great to get him, but even better to do it the 'right' way, keeping future relationships in mind. I've not read your assessment of him yet, I need to do that. I don't think we can find anyone who is going to turn 12/13 into a magical season for us, so I'm hoping Johnson (I refuse to call him JJ) is focused on 13/14 season and beyond.

Everyone's going to cut Johnson slack next year, but then the ratchet will tighten up fairly quickly, I'd say. Here's hoping he builds a foundation as solidly and quickly as Greenberg did at the beginning of his tenure.

If we were not the ones that "tampered" I don't see why we should not take him if there is intrest on both sides.