Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    Can we claw up their list wrt desirability? Those guys are more academically-oriented than the SEC and probably want UNC + Duke, and 2/3 of MD/UVA/GT. There were older reports that Delaney was talking to UNC and Duke.
    Expansion is still about money which is driven by football. If FSU drops a nuclear bomb on the ACC, VT is probably the most desirable piece left from that perspective (outside of ND). We are a large land-grant university much like the B1G schools.

Academically the B1G might be more desirable for us, but athletically it isnt. We are making inroads into recruiting the southeast. If we join the B1G that will be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Telionis View Post

3. We control most of the DC market (strangely enough), despite UVA being two hours closer and Maryland being on a DC Metro line. [3] Certainly the B1G doesn't want to lose DC to the SEC.
    No we don't. We have a strong presence, but saying we control most of the DC market is a real reach.

But, the ACC does not have something similar, and I do not see it having anything similar. With proper leadership, the SEC schools have more resources to do organize a similar consortium, if it wanted to. Perhaps VT could help with that leadership. But, in the ACC, VT seems to be pretty well ignored by the UNCs, UVAs,and Dukes of the world when it comes to academics and perhaps research, so I do not see how we have much influence in the ACC about stepping outside the athletic area to more cooperation in research and academics. I am not saying that the perception by ACC schools is correct, but it is a historical problem that, I think, still exists.

I'm sure VT admin would *LOVE* B10. Pretty sure B10 wouldn't have us at top of their list.

PSU would be a great regional rivalry imo.

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateSCHokie View Post
    over the SEC. Is this old news?

Personally I would not like the B1G at all. We have no natural rivals there and I don't see it as a good cultural fit. But I guess when our administration values rubbing elbows with the academic elite over everything else, I should not be surprised.

http://www.thesabre.com/message_boar...19/2684979.php

That stat is really misleading/misinterpreted imo. I think it masks (1) increased population in US trying to get into state flagship universities, (2) high school GPA inflation, and (3) inflated test scores. End of the day, you get more people with higher entrance scores wanting to get into schools.

Does anyone have a comparison between VT's enrollment practices and say, UGA (a team that really hasn't won anything) and UVA (a team that *REALLY* hasn't won anything) over the last 20 years?

Yep. The odds of a B1G invite are Slim and None and everyone knows what happened to Slim. If the B1G raids the ACC, UVA will most likely get the one slot available for the state. Our best hope will then be either SEC or Big12 and, given those choices, the SEC is what makes the most sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    I'm sure VT admin would *LOVE* B10. Pretty sure B10 wouldn't have us at top of their list.

PSU would be a great regional rivalry imo.
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxHokie View Post
    Also, several have higher dollars annually of research.
    No comparison to the B1G. VT would be one of the weakest research institutions in the B1G (UVA would be far worse), but would be #3 or 4 in the 16 team SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxHokie View Post
    I do not see all the partnerships in the ACC that you allude to.
    What? I said the B1G has a serious cooperative research agreement. The ACC does not. If it did, maybe we would be having these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by El Paso Hokie View Post
    If the B1G raids the ACC, UVA will most likely get the one slot available for the state.
    Why, because they have a better liberal arts program? Because USNWR considers them a public Ivy? While true, we are culturally closer to the B1G schools, we bring in much more research funding, and we actually have a valuable product. UVA's stadium is 25% empty every game, they half 70% the total fans we do, and bring in a much smaller market. They'd also be near dead last in terms of STEM research if they joined the CIC (B1G's research agreement).

Obviously I'm biased, but I frankly think VT should be higher priority target for the B1G than UVA, especially considering that they can deprive the SEC of Virginia and the DC areas by grabbing us first (SEC probably won't grab UVA or MD).

I think it's the same as comparing Wake Forest and NC State, which is a better grab? Indeed, Wake is academically superior, but NC State has more research, more fans and a better football product.
    Last edited by Telionis; Sun May 20 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Don't miss the forest for a tree. The other points he made are the most important of that post.

While I agree with you we don't own the DC market...we are certainly the fastest growing in that market of the three. People forget we were a small military school in the 1960's, but now we get 1/3 of our students from the Northern Virginia DC area and it has the most alumni of any area. Alumnus who are now in their 60s and who will contribute greatly when they hit their 70s and 80s. It also doesn't hurt that our graduates are on the fore front of the Technology world where most of the best paying jobs and companies come from and will continue to come from over the next several decades.

VT's preferences are:
    1. Stay in ACC with ND and Ruts/UConn added
    2. Move to B1G with ND
    3. Move to SEC
    4. Move to Big12

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    VT's preferences are:
    1. Stay in ACC with ND and Ruts/UConn added
    2. Move to B1G with ND
    3. Move to SEC
    4. Move to Big12
    According to who?