Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Not to mention there is a positive correlation with enrollment numbers and football success. Being in the ACC minus Clemson and FSU isn't going to help very much.

Lightbulb A few points about VT's worth!

A few points:

1. VT had a fanbase that is 60% larger than UVA's, and almost triple that of Maryland. Specifically 1.33m for VT, 836k for UVA, and 474k for Maryland [1].

2. We have sold out every single football game since the mid-1990s. Conversely, UVA and Maryland averaged 45,459 and 39,168 attendee's per game last year respectively (that's about 73.9% of UVA's 61,500 capacity and 72.5% of Maryland's 54,001 capacity) [2]. Total home game tickets sold: Virginia Tech = 463,631, Virginia = 318,212, Maryland = 235,007.

3. We control most of the DC market (strangely enough), despite UVA being two hours closer and Maryland being on a DC Metro line. [3] Certainly the B1G doesn't want to lose DC to the SEC.

4. While we are behind both schools in semi-irrelevant USNWR rankings, the B1G is quite concerned with research funding as well. In that regard, we actually beat UVA by a large margin, and we were just below Maryland. UVA brought in 258m in research funds (70th nationally), Maryland brought in 395m (39th nationally) and VT brought in 373m (43rd nationally) [4]. These are 2010 rankings so nothing the VTCRI has brought in was counted in these figures. I expect us to surpass Maryland in another few years.

When it comes to raw academic ratings and reputation, UVA beats us clearly. However, in research and in football revenue, VT wins considerably, while MD brings in almost no football revenue. VT is by far the best football performer, sells the most tickets, has the best TV presence, brings DC area plus most of Virginia and is a large public school that concentrates on research. I think the B1G would be foolish to pass VT by. In many ways, VT seems more attractive than UVA or Maryland on paper.

Here's hoping they grab Rutgers, MD, UVA and VT.

[1]: http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ignment-chaos/
    [2]: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/footba...Attendance.pdf
    [3]: http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/nfl_1280.gif
    [4]: http://mup.asu.edu/research2010.pdf
    Last edited by Telionis; Sun May 20 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Florida and Georgia are pretty good schools and seem to have research money. On the margin, a lot of students want to go to a college that has a good football team and that plays bigtime football. Perhaps the Ohio State people will lobby to get us in the B10. Notre Dame has about two months to get off their butt and decide on ACC or it is toast.

They don't. VT and UVA will certainly end up in different places.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    Why would either conference want two schools from the same state?
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    George Bernard Shaw

Add in Vandy. I don't know why we should feel we are "above" the SEC academically. The ACC is better academically yes, but that doesn't mean we are too good for the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by jbresette View Post
    Add in Vandy. I don't know why we should feel we are "above" the SEC academically. The ACC is better academically yes, but that doesn't mean we are too good for the SEC.
    TAMU and SCAR are good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jbresette View Post
    The smartest guy going to Boston University is surely smarter than the dumbest guy at Harvard... but which school would you rather attend if everything else was equal? It's not just the reputation, the combined B1G is far and away superior academically and in STEM research than the combined SEC.

We should associate with universities we want to be like. Which would you rather VT become more like Bama or Michigan?

Finally, I know I keep bringing up the CIC, but it really is that important. No other conference has such an agreement aside from the Ivy League, and it has done amazing things for the research revenue and prestige of every Big Ten school. If the ACC had something similar, I can't imagine Clemson or FSU would even think about leaving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committ...al_Cooperation

Without Big 10 interest why does that question need to be answered? And why Michigan and Bama? Why not Nebraska and Vanderbilt?

We're not going to the B1G unless we leapfrog UVA and their already-existing AAU status. IIRC, the B1G TV deal is structured such that they earn big bucks for each populous state that is added to the network. Wasting an expansion slot by taking two schools from one state makes no financial sense and won't happen. Could VT's football appeal outweigh UVA's academic credentials for expansion purposes? Possibly, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    Can we claw up their list wrt desirability? Those guys are more academically-oriented than the SEC and probably want UNC + Duke, and 2/3 of MD/UVA/GT. There were older reports that Delaney was talking to UNC and Duke.
    Last edited by El Paso Hokie; Sun May 20 2012 at 05:48 PM.
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    Be thankful the VT admin DOES value academics and partnerships over "everything else" or VT wouldn't exist. The SEC is such an insignificant aspect of the overall idea of Tech. It amazes me how obsessed some on these boards are with college football and VTs place in their percieved heirarchy
    The SEC has several schools that are more highly rated than VT, and some that are close. Also, several have higher dollars annually of research. I do not see all the partnerships in the ACC that you allude to. The Wake Forest joint School of Bioengineering and the VT-Maryland Vet School both precede VT membership in the ACC. VT has always had some partnerships with UVA, but my perception is that the ACC is not a driver to enhance those. Recently, joint partnerships with UVA are more driven by the state of Virginia or by industry (Rolls Royce). I do not read about partnerships with GT, which has a very large portfolio of research.

I submit that there may be more possibility of partnerships with the SEC than with ACC. VT has offices and facilities in Northern Virginia, which I do not believe other SEC schools have. Also, VT in the SEC would have one of the larger portfolios of research. Those characteristic of VT research provides an advantage that can be leveraged into partnerships, leading to political support for VT programs that are joint with SEC schools. I think also, that a number of SEC schools are trying very hard to increase research and academic standing. I know that University of Tennessee has a major effort. Contrary to this are a number of ACC schools that are pretty secure in their volume of research, especially GT and the NC schools that have research enhanced by the companies and facilities of the Research Triangle. Others are close to Washington (UVA and MD). Some are not such natural partners--- Miami, FSU, BC--- they are not even close to being technical universities. There may be better hunting for partnerships in the SEC.