Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

You send it to me. And please enclose cash. I don't accept checks or plastic.

I think you misunderstand the situation. The SEC wanted a foothold in the Texas television market for decades. When Texas A&M applied for membership it was a no-brainer - they were in. There needed to be a fourteenth team for balance and everyone thought that it would be VT. But you surprised us so Mizzou took your seat at the table. It had utterly nothing to do with academics.

I respect academics. I'm the guy who always said that I'd have more pride watching one of my kids win a spelling bee than scoring a touchdown and I meant it. Unfortunately I've never seen them do either one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if the academicians want a scholastic conference then tell them to start one and stop piggy backing on athletics. That is what they did in the Big 10. Which came first the Big 10 Conference or the Committee on Institutional Cooperation?

Didn't you just reinforce my point?

I see. Is the value of your degree retroactive?

Let me tell you something. A college degree is a college degree and what you get out of it is directly proportionate to what you put into it. An engineer with a 4.00 from LSU will get the job over an engineer who graduated with a 2.80 from VT 100 percent of the time.

Post They donít think it be like it is, but it do.

Quote Originally Posted by LSU Tiger View Post
    I see. Is the value of your degree retroactive?
    Yes. Twenty or thirty years ago Georgia Tech was almost exactly tied with Virginia Tech in all the rankings and research figures. They stole our dean of engineering, made him their president and he happened to be a genius that totally transformed their school. Today they are one of the best engineering schools on the planet (usually in the top 3). If your resume says GT on it, do you think anyone will check to see what they were ranked the year you graduated?

In 20-25 years I'll be at the height of my career, and by that time VT could have easily moved 10-15 places in either direction. As such, that is a far greater concern than football prowess.

That said, there is no reason VT can't improve academically while being in the SEC, but joining the CIC would be immensely valuable. I'd be perfectly happy if the SEC decided to form a similar agreement. Shoot, we could grab Emory as a non-athletic member, same as the CIC has the University of Chicago.

Let me tell you something. A college degree is a college degree and what you get out of it is directly proportionate to what you put into it. An engineer with a 4.00 from LSU will get the job over an engineer who graduated with a 2.80 from VT 100 percent of the time.
    That is absolutely true. Someone who really cares about their work at LSU will certainly get a better education than a slacker at Harvard. Nevertheless, reputation is quite valuable, and if the two resumes are even close to comparable, Harvard will always get the job. I don't think that's how it should be, but that's how it works. Anyone who says otherwise is just deluding themselves; to quote the great Oscar Gamble, "They don’t think it be like it is, but it do."
    Last edited by Telionis; Tue May 22 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The medical school research is less than a quarter of NU's research. Even if it were counted, NU would have been at the bottom of the AAU's metrics. The fact that the AAU expelled Nebraska, a member for over 100 years, is telling. The Big Ten knew about NU's standing and took them anyway, because they have a stadium full of fans every Saturday. If academics mattered, they would have invited Rutgers.
    Hey, I posted an article that showed both sides of the story, and one of the sides supported your view. So what is your beef?

I'm not trying to argue any point, but from the article, it appears that the AAU changed the criteria, and that seems to be why they were left out.

And as the article says, the metric rankings are secret and so are the AAU deliberations.

And unless you were in the room, you don't know any more than that article, so it seems that you may have some sort of bias against NU, since the facts are not fully known.

Me...I could care less.

All these things are like the Nobel peace prize, which was voted on in a closet and given to BO before he could get his overcoat off from the inaugural parade. I mean give me a break!

All of these entities are a close knit club that everyone sits around and pats each other on the back that they are members.

When they get together and find the cure for cancer, I'll pay attention.

Now there is a legitimate criteria, not some set of arbitrary rules that can be suddenly changed to exclude a member based on the bias dejour.

Maybe NU's medical school will find the cure for cancer. You think they would let them back in? I doubt it, because these kind of people NEVER want to admit to having ever made a mistake.

To be clear, having good academics is a very desirable thing. But there is a down side to it as well.

Just look and listen to the typical UVA grad. Hell, you'd think they already found the cure, but for the most part, they seem to be more interested in who they know than what they know.

OK, I had to get the UVA jab in as long as you are pounding NU to salt.

Pretty clever segway, if I do say so myself.

A college degree is a college degree and what you get out of it is directly proportionate to what you put into it.
    True words could not be written.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateSCHokie View Post
    over the SEC. Is this old news?

Personally I would not like the B1G at all. We have no natural rivals there and I don't see it as a good cultural fit. But I guess when our administration values rubbing elbows with the academic elite over everything else, I should not be surprised.

http://www.thesabre.com/message_boar...19/2684979.php
    And why would you believe any crappola coming from Le Bide? The only inside info. any of those brie-eating, zima-sipping tubesteaks know is how much a 2000 BMW sells for.

Pure bunk. Even if it were true, the last place you'd be hearing is from a UVA

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateSCHokie View Post
    over the SEC. Is this old news?

Personally I would not like the B1G at all. We have no natural rivals there and I don't see it as a good cultural fit. But I guess when our administration values rubbing elbows with the academic elite over everything else, I should not be surprised.

http://www.thesabre.com/message_boar...19/2684979.php
    "source" within knowledge about what VT "prefers"...

Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post
    Pretty clever segway, if I do say so myself.
    They think now? Do they drive themselves, too? ;^)
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.