Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

People on le sewer say they have sources within VT that say we would prefer the B1G

over the SEC. Is this old news?

Personally I would not like the B1G at all. We have no natural rivals there and I don't see it as a good cultural fit. But I guess when our administration values rubbing elbows with the academic elite over everything else, I should not be surprised.

http://www.thesabre.com/message_boar...19/2684979.php

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateSCHokie View Post

Personally I would not like the B1G at all. We have no natural rivals there and I don't see it as a good cultural fit. But I guess when our administration values rubbing elbows with the academic elite over everything else, I should not be surprised.

I would prefer the B1G. Cultural fit is in the eye of the beholder. I grew up in the D.C. area years ago. I feel a closer "connection" to Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan than any of the SEC schools. Having said that, I understand why many of my fellow Hokies would feel a closer connection to the SEC schools. I can surely live with either one.

Lightbulb I hope so!

I hope so. This is a research university and membership in the CIC is worth more than all our athletics combined IMHO. The B1G maintains academic prestige, grants us the huge benefit of actual research cooperation (which the ACC never bothered to do), and allows us into a football conference that will be one of the big 4 conferences, but with an easier path to the conference title. They also have superior basketball, and are decent in most sports (not baseball!?!).

I think it's a win on every front if we join the B1G.

As for culture, VT is a large state school that focuses on research and loves football... that describes every single school in the B1G except Northwestern. Conversely, half of the ACC member schools are smaller private schools that focus on undergrad reputation and basketball. If it weren't for geography, I'd say we're more similar to the B1G than the ACC.

absolutely Big 10 has more the vision of the university but might now work out

VT wants deeply to tie R&D with academics.. trying create a strategic partnership. And VT wants to build a great R&D partnership in the DC market, (they are doing very very well). and if the package of Va MD and VT into the Big 10 (with ND/or pitt very very good.

However, SEC is just not into that. Big 10 is, but VT is an unknown to the Big 10, SEC knows us. I don't know if you realize it but the the state focus is to Northern Va, most of the state population and economic engine is there. VT as a major university is leaning away from the image of a small region university in the southwest va. VT is following the money. VT engineering school works closely with MD, PSU, Purdue, ohio state alot. but would be an interesting partnership if VT and NC State are a deal.

VT is alot like missouri, (we want to go to the big 10 but no invitation.) VT has to be very very careful. Looks like we are very desired by the SEC, but that door could close for another candidate who has no questions about SEC membership. WHile we desire so much to join PSU, Ohio State Michigan, and never get invited and big 12 goes into another direction and we are school to be left out.

The ideal is with va and to the Big 10 there could be a deal with SEC, that Big 10 gets Va (with UVA, VT and MD and SEC gets NC with NC State and UNC. (but I know UNC is not comfortable with SEC either).

What we prefer and what we are offered might be two different things. I can't speak to the private thoughts and communiques of our administration, but if the ACC implodes, I'd be happy with either conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    VT wants deeply to tie R&D with academics.. trying create a strategic partnership. And VT wants to build a great R&D partnership in the DC market, (they are doing very very well). and if the package of Va MD and VT into the Big 10 (with ND/or pitt very very good.

However, SEC is just not into that. Big 10 is, but VT is an unknown to the Big 10, SEC knows us. I don't know if you realize it but the the state focus is to Northern Va, most of the state population and economic engine is there. VT as a major university is leaning away from the image of a small region university in the southwest va. VT is following the money. VT engineering school works closely with MD, PSU, Purdue, ohio state alot. but would be an interesting partnership if VT and NC State are a deal.

VT is alot like missouri, (we want to go to the big 10 but no invitation.) VT has to be very very careful. Looks like we are very desired by the SEC, but that door could close for another candidate who has no questions about SEC membership. WHile we desire so much to join PSU, Ohio State Michigan, and never get invited and big 12 goes into another direction and we are school to be left out.

The ideal is with va and to the Big 10 there could be a deal with SEC, that Big 10 gets Va (with UVA, VT and MD and SEC gets NC with NC State and UNC. (but I know UNC is not comfortable with SEC either).
    Why would either conference want two schools from the same state?

Just intuitively, I can see that some at VT would prefer the B1G. VT has a significant representation on staff from schools from the B1G and the region. In addition, VT wants to be invited to the AAU, so this would be an excellent way to enhance the possibility. The problem, of course, is travel even with some logical divisional arrangements that could reduce it. And, who are the natural rivals? -- there are none. But, for academics and athletics overall, VT would be in a good place in the B1G.

Be thankful the VT admin DOES value academics and partnerships over "everything else" or VT wouldn't exist. The SEC is such an insignificant aspect of the overall idea of Tech. It amazes me how obsessed some on these boards are with college football and VTs place in their percieved heirarchy

Can we claw up their list wrt desirability? Those guys are more academically-oriented than the SEC and probably want UNC + Duke, and 2/3 of MD/UVA/GT. There were older reports that Delaney was talking to UNC and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    Be thankful the VT admin DOES value academics and partnerships over "everything else" or VT wouldn't exist. The SEC is such an insignificant aspect of the overall idea of Tech. It amazes me how obsessed some on these boards are with college football and VTs place in their percieved heirarchy
    Well, football DOES finance the entire athletic department and about a thousand scholarships annually...