Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Imagine the "deal" the ACC would offer Notre Dame after FSU and Clemson left....

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    P.S. Interesting. There's a 10k character limit on posts. A mispaste (had pasted geauxnole's first quote twice) put me over that. Whoops.
    Congrats on hitting the limit!

The limit is there to keep someone malicious from cutting and pasting HUGE amounts of info into a post. Mayhap 10,000 characters isn't quite enough.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieNC View Post
    well, if they did go...it would spell end of acc effectively. we could turn to sec....and uva program left to rot away
    Along those lines, I just don't worry about VT's conference status anymore. If the ACC falls apart, which I don't think would happen, VT will have options, most notably the SEC -- which I think would take VT in a heartbeat.

Looking back on the ACC expansion of 2003, I shouldn't have worried then, either. I think VT would have done VERY well in a watered down Big East (in football, which is the realignment driver), and I also believe that the SEC would have offered membership to VT in the last few years ... and VT would have taken it. In retrospect, there was nothing to worry about. Long term, VT was either going to wind up in the ACC or the SEC.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Agreed. If we had stayed in the BE in 2003 we would be joining Texas A&M now in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Along those lines, I just don't worry about VT's conference status anymore. If the ACC falls apart, which I don't think would happen, VT will have options, most notably the SEC -- which I think would take VT in a heartbeat.

Looking back on the ACC expansion of 2003, I shouldn't have worried then, either. I think VT would have done VERY well in a watered down Big East (in football, which is the realignment driver), and I also believe that the SEC would have offered membership to VT in the last few years ... and VT would have taken it. In retrospect, there was nothing to worry about. Long term, VT was either going to wind up in the ACC or the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    There's a mega-thread (68 pages and counting) over on The Hive regarding Big XII expansion, but has since devolved into a lot of different topics, including TV contracts and all sorts of conference rumors. First of all, the mega-thread is located here:
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=140&f=2938&t=8890318&p=1
    Good luck reading all of it. I just skipped through...

A few interesting links came of it. The first is regarding ACC/ESPN contract renegotiations:
    http://www.tomahawknation.com/2012/4...to-remediation

What are some of the numbers being discussed? There's a post over on WV's BlueGoldNews that has some interesting information. A poster named geauxnoles has some juicy tidbits regarding the numbers (on page 2), that look to be legit. (Some posters have labelled him an insider in the negotiations.): http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8942386&p=1
    Geauxnoles has several posts that are worth reading:

and

and

Long post, I know, but some interesting information. Take it and run with it. =^)

FH

P.S. Interesting. There's a 10k character limit on posts. A mispaste (had pasted geauxnole's first quote twice) put me over that. Whoops.
    if the ACC could get to $270MM (~$19MM/school), i don't see ANYONE leaving. going from $155 to $270 mid-contract with the addition on 2 schools would be a HUGE win. finding an ACC network model that works well as a brand builder just makes it sweeter. i didn't think the ACC had a shot in hell of getting to $270, but if what that Nole says is true, i am one happy camper. that said, if the ACC does sign off on not renegotiating for additional membership, it means 1 of 4 thing RE: the domers:

1. The ACC has lost interest (least likely)
    2. Notre Dame told us they aren't interested
    3. The ACC plans to let ND maintain their own private media deal for the duration of the ACC contract should they join.
    4. The ACC plans to lose members that ND would simply be replacing.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post

Count me as one who is eternally grateful we didn't have to test your hypothesis.

Hey McFly, I mean Will, didn't you learn anything from Back To The Future III ? If you change one part of history, i.e., getting into the ACC, you change everything else as well. Joining the ACC for VT was the turbo-charging, extreme make-over moment we needed to level the playing field literally and figuratively within our region.

I say if there were no ACC in 2004 likewise no Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Williams, David Wilson etc., etc. to help us excel. They all might have been sporting Wahoo gear and thumping us-Al Groh would look like a genius and still be in Cville. VT would be struggling, still twisting in the wind, echos of the Least and Big Easy spewed our way by everyone. VT wouldn't look as attractive or desirable in that alternate universe. No ACC or SEC interest to worry about then.

The ACC is our perfect home. It has helped us elevate our stature. The SEC is a great conference , no doubt. I would rather be in the heart of the conference than on the fringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    Agreed. If we had stayed in the BE in 2003 we would be joining Texas A&M now in the SEC.
    I agree with that. Mizzou was simply a school to give them an even number. Had VT been available, Mizzou wouldn't have stood a chance, IMO.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    if the ACC could get to $270MM (~$19MM/school), i don't see ANYONE leaving. going from $155 to $270 mid-contract with the addition on 2 schools would be a HUGE win. finding an ACC network model that works well as a brand builder just makes it sweeter. i didn't think the ACC had a shot in hell of getting to $270, but if what that Nole says is true, i am one happy camper. that said, if the ACC does sign off on not renegotiating for additional membership, it means 1 of 4 thing RE: the domers:

1. The ACC has lost interest (least likely)
    2. Notre Dame told us they aren't interested
    3. The ACC plans to let ND maintain their own private media deal for the duration of the ACC contract should they join.
    4. The ACC plans to lose members that ND would simply be replacing.
    could there be a 5th option -- ACC contract adds how the addition of new teams will impact payout so that they won't allow for renegotiation?

Agreed. I think that the ACC will stay intact (no defections and possibly add two more teams) and that VT will stay in the ACC. But if the ACC were to have problems, both the SEC and B1G would take VT in a nanosecond.

Florida has nearly 20 million residents and is the 4th most populous state in the US. Florida has as many citizens as Kentucky + Alabama + Louisiana + Tennessee, and Florida is a football state with great recruiting.

It's a bit naive to discount that adding FSU and Clemson could warrant a huge increase in B12 revenue per team. The B12 has Oklahoma, OK State, Texas, and WVU as its biggest football draws now. Adding Clemson and FSU would increase their big (subjective term I know) football draws by 50%, and increase their population-based footprint by more than 50%. The math isn't complex. Adding Clemson and FSU to the B12 would add 5-6 marquee conference matchups per year.