Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AXD1985 View Post
    "4. Can he bring the students back?

I will be the first one to tell you that Virginia Tech students are some of the worst basketball fans on the planet. We will always show up for Duke and UNC. Anything else? Well if we're good, we'll go. If we like the product on the court, we'll probably also go. It's absolutely miserable, and another topic for another day.

With that being said, JJ is going to need to re-energize the students. A little secret of Seth Greenberg's tenure is that he recruited students almost harder than he did actual recruits. And I know there's a whole lot of revisionist history about Seth never connecting with the student body, but I would say that that would be one of the few things he did well. With the exception of this season, students went to more basketball games during his tenure than ever.

I realize that a coach can only do so much, but if the students pack the house again, he can already mark his first year as at least a mild success."

---

Sounds like we're the UVA football fans equivalent in Bball. Fair weather. And yes that does suck.
    When the Cassell first opened, we (the student's - ya, I am that old) would take turns holding seats so that we could get a decent view of the game. Of course we had a pretty decent team back then, but we were in the old Southern conference and played Furman, W&L, etc.
    not UNC and Duke.

agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Groff View Post
    Naturally, it would. But it wouldn't be as drastic as that of Basketball because we have spent the better part of the last two decades establishing a tradition and history of football success. Since we don't have that for basketball, the swings are much more drastic.

That's why making the tournament is important. It's the establishment of a tradition where before one didn't exist. Finishing in the top 4 of the ACC or whatever is nice, but it's not going to do much in terms of establishing "tradition." Winning conferences does, making the tournament does, and doing well in the tournament does. Fair or not, it's just how it is - you play to make the tournament. Do that a few times and you keep the fans interested, do it enough and interest remains strong even during lean years. Don't do it enough, and people just stop caring.

It's just how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by VTer View Post
    Game attendance is another category of Weaver's job that he fails in. Most seats are sold, so Weaver couldn't care less if people actually attend the games.
    That's not on Jim.

imo, not that much....had great times in my day at VT....watching bill dooley teams run up the middle 75% of the time, crowd had fun, winning doesn't quantify the enjoyment of the day. Sure numbers would decline, but it would take a decade of irrelvence to cause a change and then the change would not be that dramatic. Zealous fans don't stop cheering because of loses, they just do alot more bitching about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AXD1985 View Post
    So if we go 6-6, or 8-5 in football for a few years, its "only fair to expect" that our fandom goes down due to lack of success?

That poster totally gets it. All point-on suggestions. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    not in session, it just isn't feasible. Everybody has to play a certain number of games at home, when students are not on campus.

#2 doesn't happen either. The non-con home games are not at 9 PM, or on other odd days. Check the schedule. TV dictates those queer start times, and dates.

#4 let me have a hit on that crack pipe you have, because that simply isn't happening. The students had their chance to inject energy a long time ago - they did not. Most schools put students on the baseeline. Why do endzone seats make sense for football, but not for basketball? There really is no difference.

#5 THAT is a good idea, but you are expecting Sandy Smith and his bunch to be creative. They aren't, they want to sell a full load of season ticket at one pass, and not have to do any work.
    Very logical points.

Schedule more neutral court games during not-in-session times.... Roanoke, Richmond, DC, Norfolk, etc

i can't speak for all athletic department student workers but my friend was an intern for the dept. and didn't get paid a dime yet did practically everything for them. if you put an intern to swipe the passports, money doesn't become an issue. at this point, the intern wants to get all the experience they can get plus the positive recommendations from their supervisors so it can further their career after graduation.
    Best advice my father gave me: "There are two types of people in this world, those who work for their money and those whose money works for them. Everyone begins in the first group but not everyone makes it to the second group. Strive to make the second group because once you're there, life gets easier."

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    And just what would you propose that he do? It's not his fault that the product on the court didn't bring out the crowds.
    Has Weaver tried to get corporate sponsors involved for free stuff or coupons for students or maybe kids who attend games? .... such as a poster with a pic of the team and the schedule; a VT or VT basketball mousepad; discounts on pizza, subs, etc.; a VT or VT basketball mug; a VT baskeball t-shirt. Instead of having white-out games (which is a farce, IMO), have pizza games or poster games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    That's not on Jim.
    Yes, it is on Jim. He's the AD - if something isn't working, it's his responsibility to make it work, or at least make an improvement.