Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Glen Allen, VA (far western Henrico County)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    I wonder how JMU will feel about being 4th on the football totem pole in VA with all the money they have pumped into their program?
    I wonder if something like this would encourage or discourage VCU and GMU to go ahead and try to start up a FCS-level program. I know both have been toying with the idea (VCU much moreso than GMU)for some time. I can't decide if it would give them initiative to go ahead and jump into the pool in the hopes they, too, could eventually move up quickly like ODU, or if it just throws cold water on any desire to start up a scholarship football program.

just FB. Really, it isn't hard to get 30k in San Antonio... school population was like 40k or so 5 years ago (assume it is bigger with smaller % of commuters), big city, no other game in town (no baseball at the start of season). Heck, Southwest Texas (45min down the road) can pull down 15k and I think San Marcos has about 10 people in it.

MAC will be at 13 with UMass after Temple leaves, right? JMU should be lobbying HARD for #14!
    Odu delivers a Large tv market Hampton roads and packed football attendance and east Carolina
    Supported east carolina. Looks like jmu is risk adverse - worried more about today budget . Might be left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Odu delivers a Large tv market Hampton roads and packed football attendance and east Carolina
    Supported east carolina. Looks like jmu is risk adverse - worried more about today budget . Might be left out.
    Packed at 15k and packed at 60k are two different things.

They seat 20K, and have hard sell outs. ODU will expand their stadium again soon.

Not very good news for UVa and Tech, unfortunately. ODU will be able to recruit well in tidewater.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Packed at 15k and packed at 60k are two different things.

MAC will be at 13 with UMass after Temple leaves, right? JMU should be lobbying HARD for #14!
    Hopefully the MAC sees JMU as a plus, because that is quickly becoming JMU's last option. I would guess that the choice will be between JMU and Delaware for the 14th MAC team. JMU would be good for the MAC. They need a Southern school that cares about football. Delaware does not.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4hokies View Post
    I would think that JMU's only option might be the MAC. App State and GA Southern are in talks with the Sun Belt. JMU is in danger of becoming the only major FCS program on the east coast.
    The math is hard to get right but I think the Sunbelt needs 3 teams, right? So maybe there is hope there, too. For JMU, I would prefer that to the MAC, especially with ASU in there. At least there is hope of some decent bowls with the Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt had nine this year, adding South Alabama this fall and then Ga State later got them to 11. But then they just lost FIU and North Texas to the CUSA. So back at nine, adding ASU and Georgia Southern only gives them 11 (I think).

I would not be surprised to see JMU get a look at that point. I mean, is there a major city in the south left that still has a girl's lacrosse team that can be upgraded to play FBS football to move ahead of JMU? Maybe they would consider New Mexico State, but otherwise is there anyone else left with a pulse. Jacksonville State or College of Charleston maybe? Jeez, JMU has to be a better option than any of those.

ODU wasn't one of the 5 new additions to CUSA yesterday. It looks like ODU wants to think about it for a while before making a final decision.

Ugh. Forgot about Texas State.

http://saturdayblitz.com/2012/05/01/...-next-to-move/

The Sunbelt is on the way to 12 with Ga Southern and ASU, I suppose.

I could see the Sunbelt going to 14 teams, since everyone else is. But then they would need someone to pair with JMU and at that point, why bother (Lamar, Jack State, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    The math is hard to get right but I think the Sunbelt needs 3 teams, right? So maybe there is hope there, too. For JMU, I would prefer that to the MAC, especially with ASU in there. At least there is hope of some decent bowls with the Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt had nine this year, adding South Alabama this fall and then Ga State later got them to 11. But then they just lost FIU and North Texas to the CUSA. So back at nine, adding ASU and Georgia Southern only gives them 11 (I think).

I would not be surprised to see JMU get a look at that point. I mean, is there a major city in the south left that still has a girl's lacrosse team that can be upgraded to play FBS football to move ahead of JMU? Maybe they would consider New Mexico State, but otherwise is there anyone else left with a pulse. Jacksonville State or College of Charleston maybe? Jeez, JMU has to be a better option than any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    ODU wasn't one of the 5 new additions to CUSA yesterday. It looks like ODU wants to think about it for a while before making a final decision.
    They need to mull over the costs, but I doubt they will turn it down. Hosting Southern Miss, ECU, etc. is too good for them to pass up. The east division of that league looks perfect for them.