This makes sense when you consider Weaver's health...

Weaver is most likely going to be gone in a year or two. He had previously stated that he didn't want to be responsible for the next football or basketball coaching hires.

A new AD is not going to be able to touch the football program, because that is Beamer's. If he wants to make his mark it will have to be with men's basketball. JJ is a guy who can keep the program in tact for a year or two until Weaver leaves and a new AD brings in his own guy.

That's the only way I see this making any sense whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by 05 HokieGrad View Post
    Weaver is most likely going to be gone in a year or two. He had previously stated that he didn't want to be responsible for the next football or basketball coaching hires.

A new AD is not going to be able to touch the football program, because that is Beamer's. If he wants to make his mark it will have to be with men's basketball. JJ is a guy who can keep the program in tact for a year or two until Weaver leaves and a new AD brings in his own guy.

That's the only way I see this making any sense whatsoever...
    So Johnson was hired to be fired? He took the job knowing he WASN'T our hope for the long-term answer for VT basketball/...REALLY? You REALLY believe that??

JJ is a damn good hire. He is EXACTLY the kind of guy we could get at Tech. We are NOT going to get a top five "hot" prospect coach....He makes a lot of sense from a multitude of standpoints. I hope he isw coaching when you go back to VT for your 20th class reunion.... and he just "may" be; nobody knows!!

For all we know Weaver was recruiting him before he got on the plane to Greenville....... JJ left for more reasons than $$....... maybe he had to give those other reasons some real consideration. The only other person we know for sure was interviewed is Lutz. Either Weaver was testing the waters, or trying to look like he was performing his due diligence

I'm sure JJ is a great guy, and could be a great coach. Is he an upgrade over Greenberg?... Maybe, but not based on anything he's done to date. Considering the way the whole thing was handled, this hire doesn't excite me. I just don't think you fire a coach at the time and in the manner Weaver did without having a major upgrade in hand.

Johnson was the "easiest" hire in terms of keeping continuity in the program. That is why I see him as a placeholder, instead of a long term answer. Maybe he turns out to be the coach for 20 years, who knows? Either way, whether it was Greenberg or now Johnson, I just see a new bball coach in the near future after Weaver retires.