Questions and comments about board function..

Are you guys going to start locking or merging redundant threads?

13 threads on the front page of new threads that all essentially say "Yay DW NYG 1st ROUND!!!"
    At least they are pushing the redundant Seth and search posts off the board.

I understand it is a relativity slow period and the slow threads will roll off by themselves. But the board looks like an un-monitored mess imho. It kind of reads like the old board with hit and run one line posts all stating the same thing .

One other thing.
    A nice feature would be at the last post of the thread you could have a respond to thread button that actually does just that. That being, it responds to the thread starter without going back to the top of the thread. As it is now, when you hit reply to thread it just replies to the last post in the thread when that may or may not be the poster's intention. You can already reply to the last post by hitting reply or reply with quote. + Reply To Thread button should, imho reply to the first post in the thread.

Thanks for all of y'alls hard work and effort. I love the new format. I just wish folks would look at the threads before they post and post in appropriate threads. I think it would improve the readability and function of the board(s).
    Just my $.02. MY BOARD!!!
    Grazi
    Last edited by fitngoblr; Thu May 10 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fitngoblr View Post
    Are you guys going to start locking or merging redundant threads?
    Didn't even know you could do that, but last night, I tagged all those threads about DW and merged them all into one. Very cool, thanks for the tip.

A nice feature would be at the last post of the thread you could have a respond to thread button that actually does just that. That being it responds to the thread starter without going back to the top of the thread. As it is now, when you hit reply to thread it just replies to the last post in the thread when that may or may not be the posters intention.
    Agreed, but I have no clue how to control this. Might take a look at it some day.

Thanks for all of y'alls hard work and effort. I love the new format. I just wish folks would look at the threads before they post and post in appropriate threads. I think it would improve the readability and function of the board(s).
    I agree, but I also think herding cats is a good idea.

As far as loving the new format, I think there are still a couple tweaks that are needed. Number one is probably to force everyone to use "Reply With Quote". Some of our posters are being very bullheaded and just not using it, despite constant counsel to do so.

So why don't I force it? Because as I discovered when we switched the format, changes to the boards make people freak out. Our traffic was gutted by the changeover, because -- although many of our users worked at it and learned how to use it -- about 35-40% of our users bailed on us. Things are finally looking up in the last month or so, particularly with the traffic caused by the spring game commitments and the basketball coaching change, and I'm leery of making any more changes to the boards. I have seen how disruptive they can be.

Tweak number two is to can the threaded mode (on the index page of a board) and transition everyone to topic mode. Again ... big change, and I'm leery of losing even more traffic.

I'm really pleased that activity has picked up like it has, but we got burned so badly by the January changes that I'm skittish about more changes.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Didn't even know you could do that, but last night, I tagged all those threads about DW and merged them all into one. Very cool, thanks for the tip.

Agreed, but I have no clue how to control this. Might take a look at it some day.

I agree, but I also think herding cats is a good idea.

As far as loving the new format, I think there are still a couple tweaks that are needed. Number one is probably to force everyone to use "Reply With Quote". Some of our posters are being very bullheaded and just not using it, despite constant counsel to do so.

So why don't I force it? Because as I discovered when we switched the format, changes to the boards make people freak out. Our traffic was gutted by the changeover, because -- although many of our users worked at it and learned how to use it -- about 35-40% of our users bailed on us. Things are finally looking up in the last month or so, particularly with the traffic caused by the spring game commitments and the basketball coaching change, and I'm leery of making any more changes to the boards. I have seen how disruptive they can be.

Tweak number two is to can the threaded mode (on the index page of a board) and transition everyone to topic mode. Again ... big change, and I'm leery of losing even more traffic.

I'm really pleased that activity has picked up like it has, but we got burned so badly by the January changes that I'm skittish about more changes.
    I understand completely.
    Thanks for the detailed response and all the hard work involved in the attempt to keep the beast on a leash.

Pulling the band-aid off a little at a time makes the pain last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GCHokie78 View Post
    Pulling the band-aid off a little at a time makes the pain last longer.
    Do it now! Don't let the people trickling back learn the wrong way. Make the switch now, and as people start coming back for whatever reason - coaching change, reseating, or as the season gets closer, they'll have to learn to function properly in the new format.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    Your posts ... are money. I read them all.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutHokie04 View Post
    Do it now! Don't let the people trickling back learn the wrong way. Make the switch now, and as people start coming back for whatever reason - coaching change, reseating, or as the season gets closer, they'll have to learn to function properly in the new format.
    I agree. If going to topic mode is something you are considering doing, then now would be the best time, before people start coming back.

However, there are many sites out there that use both topic and threaded modes, so I'm not sure that forcing everybody to linear mode is necessary.

I do think the site does need a little tweaking, mainly in trying to make users of the two views live a bit more harmoniously. I think going to Reply With Quote as default is one thing that will make things a lot easier, and it's not a huge change. I think that's something that needs to happen, and relatively soon, though. I also agree with fitngobbler's suggestion about changing the "+ REPLY TO THREAD" to have it reply to the initial post. I use that every once in a while, and did not realize that it wasn't doing that. It should. If you do that as the same time as the RWQ change, then that should work nicely. These two are truly tweaks, and are nowhere near the magnitude of changes that we saw in January, so I'd be pretty confident that people wouldn't freak out too much about these two changes.

One other suggestion would be something to identify when a "TSLguru" or "TSLhost" has posted in a thread, in the Topic view (at the board page, not the thread page). You can see when they're the most recent response, in the Last Post column. Maybe having an icon displayed in the Thread title somewhere, which would alert users to the existence of their post (if not link to their first post in the thread).

Two other nits, one cosmetic and one logical. In the What's New and Subscribed Posts views (they're search results, I know), the thread title is cut off due to a smaller column width for the title, but there's no way to see the remainder of the title on mousever (you can see the first part of the text, but not the rest of the title). As a result, there's a bit of a gap. I'm wondering if the title could word-wrap better in the thread title column, or if the missing text of the title could be displayed on mouseover. Also, when you hit refresh on either of these views, the sorting isn't accurate. I'm getting results that are no longer ordered by time of last post. (This may be just on Subscribed threads, but I don't think so). Is there a different ordering mechanism for refreshes of search results?

Just my $.02. Keep up the good work! I'm sure people will be filtering back between now and football season. Hang in there.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Need to lose the page long sticky posts.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDelNorte View Post
    Need to lose the page long sticky posts.
    We don't currently have any up, do we?
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.