Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Va. Tech basketball = UVA football , equal fan support and message boards.. agree ?

coaching changes , missed recruits , defections , no postseasons/ncaa , assistant defections / attitudes

Reasonable comparison, although it beats being Duke football, which is what we were for all but about two years between 1988 and 2003.
    SteveA

Quote Originally Posted by 133464Hokie
    coaching changes , missed recruits , defections , no postseasons/ncaa , assistant defections / attitudes
    Nah, VT bball competes with and often beat the best of the best in basketball; then often played down to lesser teams and were thus always considered borderline when it came to the postseason.

Compare that to uva football which just sucks
    "The Hokies won an outright ACC championship during their first year in the conference. That's a feat Tech's in-state neighbor to the north has never accomplished in 52 seasons. For the record, it took Tech 12 weeks."

If you measure fan support by butts-in-seats, UVA football is still easily better off than VT basketball. I suppose it might be closer if you did it as a ratio of attendance:total capacity, but that measurement doesn't make too much sense, when you consider that Tech typically can't even fill Cassell (i.e. less than 10K) on a weekend unless it's a "big name," or the team has a shiny ranking next to their name.

Quote Originally Posted by 133464Hokie View Post
    UVa football has more potential than VT basketball, IMO.

UVa football is trending upward now; VT basketball is a train wreck now.

Quote Originally Posted by VTer View Post
    UVa football has more potential than VT basketball, IMO.

UVa football is trending upward now; VT basketball is a train wreck now.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. You need to compare our current basketball team to the UVa Footbasll team 2 days after Al Groh was released.
    Actually you need to wait until the new coach is on board before making any sort of judgement of where the program is or is going.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesia View Post
    If you measure fan support by butts-in-seats, UVA football is still easily better off than VT basketball. I suppose it might be closer if you did it as a ratio of attendance:total capacity, but that measurement doesn't make too much sense, when you consider that Tech typically can't even fill Cassell (i.e. less than 10K) on a weekend unless it's a "big name," or the team has a shiny ranking next to their name.
    That makes no sense. Percentage of seats sold is the only way to compare. UVa has a 61,000 seat stadium and are lucky to get 37,000 except when we play there and then 1/2 are Hokies. We play in a 9,800 seat arena and draw 6 to 7 thousand and when we play an attractive ACC Team we fill it.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by 133464Hokie View Post
    To some degree, but uVa football supporters have somewhat unrealstic expectations. Wahoo football has had some medium level of success and mirrors some of the struggles of VT basketball. Mike London will not be around 7 years from now unless wahoo football perfroms better than last year. Whoever comes in to coach VT basketball will be secure if VT makes the NCAA tournament a couple of times in 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    That makes no sense. Percentage of seats sold is the only way to compare. UVa has a 61,000 seat stadium and are lucky to get 37,000 except when we play there and then 1/2 are Hokies. We play in a 9,800 seat arena and draw 6 to 7 thousand and when we play an attractive ACC Team we fill it.
    It's illustrative, though, that UVA football can still draw 3-4x Cassell's capacity when VT basketball often can't fill only about 10K seats. The original question was whether UVA football and VT basketball had equal fan support, and there's just nothing to support that. It may be (and likely, is) due to the fact that basketball just isn't as important a sport as football, but there's no doubt there are more fans of UVA football than VT basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by TOUGH TURKEY View Post
    To some degree, but uVa football supporters have somewhat unrealstic expectations. Wahoo football has had some medium level of success and mirrors some of the struggles of VT basketball. Mike London will not be around 7 years from now unless wahoo football perfroms better than last year. Whoever comes in to coach VT basketball will be secure if VT makes the NCAA tournament a couple of times in 9 years.

lol. so VT bball just fired it's most successful coach in years, who still only had 1 NCAAT appearance in 9 yrs...and it is taking a giant step forward by expecting 2 appearances in 9 yrs? well, no one is accusing you of unrealistic expectations