Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for golfers/golf fans: Has anyone ever gotten better by losing weight?

Saw an article where Carl Pettersen lost 35 or so pounds and missed 9 of the next 13 cuts. When he goes back to eating a gallon of ice cream a day he starts playing well. David Duval lost the weight about a decade ago and hasn't been heard from since.

Quote Originally Posted by BlufftonHoo View Post
    Saw an article where Carl Pettersen lost 35 or so pounds and missed 9 of the next 13 cuts. When he goes back to eating a gallon of ice cream a day he starts playing well. David Duval lost the weight about a decade ago and hasn't been heard from since.
    John Daly hasn't done anything since his lapband surgery.

But a couple of dudes from my club (other than Pettersson) have lost their guts in the last year and say their games haven't gone south. Didn't ask if their games got better.
    Last edited by statmanfromHCyrs; Mon Apr 16 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Signatures are stupid

I can totally see that. They learn to swing one way and if you have a big 'ol belly - you gotta swing around it! I was always told that if I was going to really learn how to golf, I should get a lesson from a female pro for a similar reason.

Duval had injuries though. As for the question, I doubt that losing weight will improve your game. Maybe overall fitness and strength training, and there's no substitute for practice, but weight loss by itself won't do it I wouldn't think.
    Where in the world is PhotoHokieNC?

Gotta believe most folks would do better if they're not carrying 35 extra pounds around 18 holes, though I wouldn't be surprised if it took awhile to adjust your swing to compensate for the lost weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    Duval had injuries though. As for the question, I doubt that losing weight will improve your game. Maybe overall fitness and strength training, and there's no substitute for practice, but weight loss by itself won't do it I wouldn't think.
    Duval bulked up his upper body, which moved his "center of gravity" upward, but didn't change his swing/stance to compensate, and started having back problems. Or so says one of the coaches he's worked with over the years.
    "Revolution rock, it is a brand new rock. A bad, bad rock, this here revolution rock."

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie360 View Post
    Gotta believe most folks would do better if they're not carrying 35 extra pounds around 18 holes, though I wouldn't be surprised if it took awhile to adjust your swing to compensate for the lost weight.
    I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago and my scores didn't really improve, but I felt a lot better while playing. I've gained some of it back & am currently trying to get rid of it again - not just for golf, but for health in general.

Jack Nicklaus was kinda hefty when he was young - might even have been when he was still an amateur or first turned pro. He didn't start winning big until after he lost some weight, but again he was pretty young while fat. IIRC he almost won the US Open as an amateur back then. Christie Kerr was a decent player on the women's tour before she lost weight, but never won until afterward.
    Last edited by DJ Golf; Mon Apr 16 2012 at 06:48 PM.
    "Revolution rock, it is a brand new rock. A bad, bad rock, this here revolution rock."

I know that Lee Westwood, #3 ranked in the world of golf, retooled his body totally over three years from thick and chubby to thick and low body fat. He looks like he could snap a club like a twig with his hands. He's probably 10-20 pounds lighter now and looks very fit. He is my choice in a no holds barred fight among tour players. He could take Tiger prior to his knee injury IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieinashburn View Post
    I can totally see that. They learn to swing one way and if you have a big 'ol belly - you gotta swing around it! I was always told that if I was going to really learn how to golf, I should get a lesson from a female pro for a similar reason.
    Big belly???.lol...Calling Ben Wright......

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    That is the answer...If you lose weight along with a golf-specific exercise program, it will HELP your game (many examples, but Phil and Lee Westwood come to mind)..IF you're a load (ie. Peterson, and Colt Nost(), you lose too much and you DO have to fundamentally change the way you swing a club...just as hokieinashburn said above (HIA, I really DID know what you meant). THAT presents a problem...NOT because of the weight loss, but because you body is a different shape and you have to "relearn" how to swing on new planes.

Now...KEEPING all the weight of a Colt Nost or Carl Peterson will undoubtedly shorten the life of your back, knees, ankles etc...It's simple physics that you'll break down faster walking with all that weight..Don't believe me? Go to the gym and pick up a couple of 50's. Just walk up and down the stairs a couple of times...It's the same thing!