Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

I think the biggest issue is the scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coleman View Post
    Yep, that's the main thing. VT does nothing to try and get people into Cassell Coliseum. They aren't committed to competing with other schools in assistant salary. Etc, etc.

People compare VT to Kansas State, WVU, etc. Well, WVU invests in their basketball program. They hire John Beilein. They hire Bob Huggins. Kansas State hires Bruce Weber. Those schools are more dedicated to hoops. Nobody is saying that VT can't be like those programs. But until the program is supported more by the administration, and the fans truly have a vested interest, we won't reach that level. Obviously the practice facility was a step in the right direction, but more needs to be done.

And honestly, not enough people are willing to pay to see VT play. I have had extra tickets before, and I always give them away, but there are just so many people around Bburg who won't go unless somebody gives them a ticket. And that's a fanbase problem, not an admin problem.
    You are correct, it has been proven over the past few seasons there are not enough people in the Blacksburg/NRV who are willing to pay to see VT play. Therefore, it seems to me either (a) the AD must figure out a way to attract more of those people, or (b) figure out a way to attract more fans outside the NRV.

To do (a), I think it's pretty simple... lower prices when possible, market better, give people more flexibility in buying family plans, mini-season tix, etc.

To do (b), there should be more games scheduled when fans from other parts of the state can reasonably get to them. I live in Richmond and it's around 8 hrs round trip for me to see a 2 hr VT basketball game. That means weeknight games, or games on Sunday night, are pretty much out of the question. Of this year's 16 game home schedule, a grand total of 4 occurred on Saturday during the day. Of those 4, 2 were against really boring non-league opponents (ETSU and Campbell) and 1 was against one of the worst ACC teams (GT). Blacksburg area fans, ask yourself, would you be willing to drive round trip to Norfolk, or Richmond, or DC, to watch VT play ETSU? I think not.

I understand that the ACC (and TV) dictates the game time of our league contests. But VT could do a better job of bringing in non-league opponents people might want to see, at times that are more convenient. If you're going to play Norfolk St and BYU, why not play those games on a Sat afternoon? Neither was televised. If you're going to play the likes of ETSU and Campbell, why not play JMU, VMI, or Liberty instead? Or for that matter, go home and home with VCU/UR/ODU instead of BYU or Okie St?

It's definitely true that today's fans have more entertainment options and less disposable income as compared to a decade ago, but it's also true that VT makes it costlier and more difficult to see quality home games.

No, I agree...it's a very tough pill

As I've stated in another post, VT can have some potential and overcome location...but there needs to be a commitment to the program from the athletic department to overcome that...the practice facility was a great start, it greatly raised our attractiveness, and will continue to do so for quite some time

I get it that there are tough economic times...everyone sees the head coaches and assistant coaches in the hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars, but you dont see those of us on the entry level, whose "salaries" are below poverty level...so I feel I understand just as well as anyone about the state of our economy and what that means when we choose to spend our money

if you can't donate or don't wish to donate until you see results, that's perfectly fine and your American-given right...but at least think about what you CAN do...if you have season tickets or know of someone who does, and you/they can't attend a game, make sure someone gets a hold of those seats (again, part of that blame falls on the athletic dept's shoulders)...send an email to Weaver noting that you've been a donor or you will be a donor, but would like to see more of a commitment to the program before you donate more...there's a good number of things you can do to facilitate this commitment and help the basketball program take the next step

I am fully aware that I have the luxury of speaking freely on subjects like this since I am not the head coach somewhere...I am very appreciative of the fact that I don't have to use coach-speak just yet, though I long for the day when I do have to

head coaches should stay positive...but someone needed to challenge the fan base and the athletic department to do their part...Greenberg needs to do his part as well, I've stated before he has some things he needs to work on/change...so no one is without blame...the only question is who will break the cycle first...and that group of people will be the one/ones who are the most willing to push the program to success

It is just very disheartening when THE key player to the solution from many angles (facilities, marketing, ticket prices, coaching $, coaching decision) , Weaver, is at a minimum, disinterested.

Putting woulda, coulda, shouldas aside, it should be totally unacceptable by the AD to have 1 NCAA bid in 9 years in the ACC. But he is on the record basically saying "All is well, all is well".

Best of luck to you - while I don't agree with all your assertions, I really appreciate your unique prospective.

Thanks GC- great stuff. Unfortunately for a few on this board these well supported observations (from someone who obviously has a keen knowledge of the college BB landscape) get in the way of their narrative that Seth Greenberg is the only thing standing in the way of VT being a perennial national power.

Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    Thanks GC- great stuff. Unfortunately for a few on this board these well supported observations (from someone who obviously has a keen knowledge of the college BB landscape) get in the way of their narrative that Seth Greenberg is the only thing standing in the way of VT being a perennial national power.
    And by that you mean wanting to make the Tourney once every 3-4 years?

......thanks for your incredible insight and hyperbole.......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    Who ever said that?
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Quote Originally Posted by GCHokie34 View Post
    head coaches should stay positive...but someone needed to challenge the fan base and the athletic department to do their part...Greenberg needs to do his part as well, I've stated before he has some things he needs to work on/change...so no one is without blame...the only question is who will break the cycle first...and that group of people will be the one/ones who are the most willing to push the program to success
    It was stated in this thread earlier, but if VT is the second most profitable program in the ACC, then I feel the fans are doing their part monetarily. They were also doing their part putting butts in the seats for a while, but after 5 straight years of not making the tournament, interest naturally waned.

I feel the fans have done their part as much as can reasonably be expected. It's time for one of the other "entities" in this discussion to step up.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Quote Originally Posted by WVHokie View Post
    Good post. Some will excuse away the warts, but I'd say you're spot on with your 3 constraints on the VT BB program. We either lower expectations and accept status quo, or decide to follow Bluto and Eric Stratton out the door and do something about it.

#1 Location: It is what it is, unless we can think outside the 24060 box. For example, travel the OOC 'home' games around the state a little, say 1-2 home games in Roanoke, or get some long-term commitments to play at GMason, GWU, and ODU every year to reach the NOVA/VaBeach alumni. In other words, reverse the build it they will come concept around to a take the game to them initiative. BTW, I think Georgetown has a free night available at the Comcast Center now that MD refuses to play without a 1 for 1 arrangement.

#2 Mid-major commitment by Ath Dept: I'd say the AD allocates money to BB based on NCAA requirements (Title 9?), a few noisy boosters, and the supply-demand curve derived from ticket sales (or tv revenue). I dont see any change in the BB budget until some T. Boone Pickens alumni takes an interest or wants his legacy etched in the Hokie Stone on the BB facilities.

#3 Fanbase expectations vs attendance: It would be a mistake to lower expecations, and why should we. We're in the ACC, the best BB conference in the country. Forget recent noise in the press and water cooler, Tobacco Road is still a brand name. If anything, we should raise expectations! Which leaves attendance ... for me, I don't drive down to Cassell for any games during the week due to work, plus I have already cashed in chips for at least one Thursday night game in Lane already. I'm sure most alumni share that situation which leaves students and locals as the target market for the AD to fill seats. That's 30,739 students, 94,392 residents in Mo County, and 92,376 in Roanoke Co available to fill 9,847 seats. With a bit of marketing and strategic pricing, I would think the AD could fill Cassell on a regular basis.

There are over 300,000 people in the Roanoke Valley. Always wished the Hokies would play a game during Christmas break in Roanoke against a decent non conference opponent.
    Last edited by CambridgeHokie; Thu Apr 12 2012 at 02:39 PM.

well I give you points for at least recognizing who I was referring .