Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

I agree that turnover among assistants is not good. But this statement is as

Quote Originally Posted by sideline guy View Post
    If Richardson leaves, Finney Smith might be gone as well.
    ridiculous a notion as Finney Smith leaving for the NBA next year. He needs Tech, and SG, and vice versa. He's not going anywhere.

That ignores the very logical reasons some of the assistants had for leaving. Not all, but some. I guess it all depends on whether you're more interested in slamming Greenberg than in looking at the bigger picture.

I've never been to a VT practice, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coleman View Post
    The assistant coaching carousel continues. Ehsan was here for exactly one year.
    ... I can tell you this, based on how SG acts during games, there is no way I could ever work for him as an assistant.

If you're gonna be the abrasive, hard@ss-type coach, ala Knight or Coach K, you'd better win big. Otherwise your act wears thin very quickly. The only thing that I think has saved SG's job for this long is that Weaver has some of the same personality traits, and is also very reluctant to ever admit he makes a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by crooked road View Post
    That ignores the very logical reasons some of the assistants had for leaving. Not all, but some. I guess it all depends on whether you're more interested in slamming Greenberg than in looking at the bigger picture.
    What about the rest of them? Come on...

I understand that you will defend this guy to your very last breath, but this is starting to get absurd. Is there anything that could happen to this program short of him eating a live puppy on national television (even then I can completely envision a scenario where you would posit that the puppy had it coming somehow) that would get you to even consider for one second that the man has a shortcoming or two?

I have no interest in "Bashing" the man, but I care far more about the future of the Virginia Tech basketball program than I do about the future of one man. Therefore when very real issues present themselves (like the outlandish amount of coaching turnover and player transfers), I think they should be explored rather that ignored or swept under the rug in the ever increasing pile of "things that are totally, in no way, shape or form Seth Greenberg's fault." Seriously, that pile is getting so high that the rug doesn't even touch the floor anymore.

Have you ever taken one second to think about just the laundry list of excuses that you have for things that aren't this guy's fault? It's staggering, I don't know how you keep it all straight, but I'm assuming some sort of spreadsheet. It would be a tiring and pointless exercise for me to engage in that sort of behavior, but clearly you get something out of it, so different strokes, I guess.

I just think that the fact that there's a list that long of things that need excuses speaks volumes as it is...
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Yeah that's pretty much it.

Bottom line for me is we'll see what happens next year on the court. I'm not wasting my time this off-season hashing it out with people over the same points again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by amptech View Post
    It shows VT/ACC is not the size drawing card that the Seth blamers are absolutely sure that we are.

Of course their response is since VT/ACC is what they think it is , no one would leave the ACC and VT for a CUSA under their scenario, so it must be Seth's fault.

But maybe it isn't Seth's fault at all and this more correctly establishes where VT the school in the ACC really is within the pecking order of college basketball, a place that maybe only a mega name coach could make a significant difference in.

And of course none of those mega coaches would go as low as we are in the pecking order to take a job.
    You may well be proven correct when the dust finally settles. For me, if and when that day comes, that will mark the end of my financial support for basketball at VT. I'll do what I can to prevent any of my dollars, as few as they might be, from going to basketball. Should that somehow not be possible, then I will end my support completely. I won't accept or support a program which knowingly supports and, in some odd way, actually enjoys last place. You may well think "good riddance to bad rubbish", and that's OK with both of us. But don't complain about lack of fan support or financial support. Most of us will not indefinitely support a program condemned to endless last place by design. I know that I don't expect or require ACC regular season or tournament championships. I suspect that most of us don't. What I do require-in fact demand-are some occasional NCAA tournament appearances and no last place finishes in the conference standings, including 2-way or 3-way ties for the last place. Without question Seth has been a failure in the NCAA tournament part of this business, and it's becoming more likely by the day that he will fail to keep us from the bottom of the heap as well. I don't dislike Seth personally. In fact, I think the best possible outcome for us is for him to get past this stumble and succeed, at least in the way I define it. Unfortunately, time is running out and I don't anticipate enough improvement over the next couple of seasons to warrant keeping him around after that. To me Seth is defined by the phrase "next year". But somehow, "next year" never seems to become "this year".
    Last edited by VT Noslen; Tue Apr 03 2012 at 10:23 AM.

And you'll find reasons to criticize Greenberg as long as he's here. You've assigned claims to me that are false, but that's certainly not the first time, nor will it be the last. You and I won't agree on this matter, so no need to pointlessly argue with you. Enjoy your day.

Is this an indication he is missing his brother's calming influence?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler Guru View Post
    ... I can tell you this, based on how SG acts during games, there is no way I could ever work for him as an assistant.

If you're gonna be the abrasive, hard@ss-type coach, ala Knight or Coach K, you'd better win big. Otherwise your act wears thin very quickly. The only thing that I think has saved SG's job for this long is that Weaver has some of the same personality traits, and is also very reluctant to ever admit he makes a mistake.
    So are you saying that hiring SG was a mistake? If that's the case, and Weaver were to come out in public and admit "his mistake", the list of coaches that would even consider coming to VT to coach would shrink to a half dozen or so junior high school coaches from Alaska.

Calling CSG's work at VT over the last 9 years a mistake is just plain craziness...and that's being nice.

That would provide much needed perspective, to compare us to other schools and their turnover. As Rev mentioned on here the other day, lots of schools have player turnover, he referenced some of Duke's recently. It would only make sense to see how other BCS conference schools - minus the elite - compare in assistant coaching turnover. That would be the objective way to do it.
    Agree. We would have to compare it to comparable programs to really derive anything from it. Otherwise its just a bunch of numbers that doesn't really mean anything.