Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb Will Four 16 Team BCS Conference Ever Happen?

I put together what could be the four 16 team BCS conferences. I keep reading that there will eventually be just 4 superconferences. I also read about the individual conferences being divided into 4 pods. I see numerous problems with just 64 schools and the pod setup. If schools like Boise State, TCU, Baylor, Cincinnati, and USF get left out, you can expect some nice lawsuits against the BCS. I can see their state and federal political leaders getting involved. I'm sure that the issue will be taken up in Congress. Things will get very ugly.

I also can't see the Big 10 adding a school like Kansas State or Iowa State just to get to 16. Would the SEC add WVU and Louisville? What you would most likely have are the 4 conferences involved trying to take schools from each other's conferences. IMHO, after the Big East and Big 12 desirables have been picked through, the ACC would be the conference that the SEC and Big 10 would be picking from to get to 16.

Then you have the pod setup. Dividing each conference into four 4 team pods would most likely cause the further loss of more annual traditional rivarlries. Plus it would likely create unequal pods in terms of competition. An all ACC North Carolina pod would be weak compared to a very strong Southern pod (Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami). There would be traditionally weak and strong pods in most of the 4 BCS conferences. I don't think that would go over well with schools playing in a pod loaded with traditionally competitvie teams.

At this point, I can't see a 64 team BCS super conference. There appears to be too many problems with it. Below is an EXAMPLE of what the four 16 team BCS conferences could look like.

Tear it apart and make your own revisions!

College football realignment is every team and conference for themselves.

I can't see that happening. It is too clean. College football realignment is every team and conference for themselves.

The Big 12 seems happier with fewer teams, mostly because Texas is happier that way. Maybe the others will convince them to add Louisville, because they feel safer in numbers.

Notre Dame seems fine with the new Big East. They get to participate in a very good conference for everything except football, even stealing bowl game slots from them.

The other conferences are probably going to take a while to get used to their new sizes.

I doubt the ACC or SEC are keen to get more members than 14 for a while. And the Big Ten seems very unlikely to. The Pac 12 has few good options for expanding more unless the Big 12 breaks up.

Seems likely that everything stops here for while, and realignment shifts to the Sunbelt, WAC, MAC, etc. JMU and ODU to the MAC, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I put together what could be the four 16 team BCS conferences. I keep reading that there will eventually be just 4 superconferences. I also read about the individual conferences being divided into 4 pods. I see numerous problems with just 64 schools and the pod setup. If schools like Boise State, TCU, Baylor, Cincinnati, and USF get left out, you can expect some nice lawsuits against the BCS. I can see their state and federal political leaders getting involved. I'm sure that the issue will be taken up in Congress. Things will get very ugly.

I also can't see the Big 10 adding a school like Kansas State or Iowa State just to get to 16. Would the SEC add WVU and Louisville? What you would most likely have are the 4 conferences involved trying to take schools from each other's conferences. IMHO, after the Big East and Big 12 desirables have been picked through, the ACC would be the conference that the SEC and Big 10 would be picking from to get to 16.

Then you have the pod setup. Dividing each conference into four 4 team pods would most likely cause the further loss of more annual traditional rivarlries. Plus it would likely create unequal pods in terms of competition. An all ACC North Carolina pod would be weak compared to a very strong Southern pod (Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami). There would be traditionally weak and strong pods in most of the 4 BCS conferences. I don't think that would go over well with schools playing in a pod loaded with traditionally competitvie teams.

At this point, I can't see a 64 team BCS super conference. There appears to be too many problems with it. Below is an EXAMPLE of what the four 16 team BCS conferences could look like.

there is ***ZERO*** chances that KSU ever sniffs B10. Likely same for Iowa St. B10 is the one that can't really get to 16 teams without significantly harming its brand. Can you honestly see them adding KU, MD, + SUNJ and some other team? That ain't gonna happen.

SEC could get to 16 if they wanted (OK+OSU).
    P10 would get to pick up TT, tu, KU, + KSU but pretty sure that would be a further brand failing (+6 teams and only tu is an improvement)
    ACC could easily (and should I think) just get ND + either SUNJ/UConn just to formally be done with it and end up with two solid conferences (you know, ACC + BE).

Yeah, expansion might happen but there will be more teams left out of "BCS Land" than included. Basically, I think four - 14 teams might be the final answer with TT, KSU, Iowa St, and a lot others being left out. That written, not sure 14 is better than 12. And 12 is worse than 9...

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    there is ***ZERO*** chances that KSU ever sniffs B10. Likely same for Iowa St. B10 is the one that can't really get to 16 teams without significantly harming its brand. Can you honestly see them adding KU, MD, + SUNJ and some other team? That ain't gonna happen.

SEC could get to 16 if they wanted (OK+OSU).
    P10 would get to pick up TT, tu, KU, + KSU but pretty sure that would be a further brand failing (+6 teams and only tu is an improvement)
    ACC could easily (and should I think) just get ND + either SUNJ/UConn just to formally be done with it and end up with two solid conferences (you know, ACC + BE).

Yeah, expansion might happen but there will be more teams left out of "BCS Land" than included. Basically, I think four - 14 teams might be the final answer with TT, KSU, Iowa St, and a lot others being left out. That written, not sure 14 is better than 12. And 12 is worse than 9...
    no doubt 9 is the ideal, unfortunately that ship has sailed...unless we see 18, then we could have 2 9 team leagues share a TV deal, a championship and bowl tie-ins, but otherwise operate as 2 leagues for football (and for bball?). that said, if 18 did happen, the ACC as we know it would be history for one reason. if the B1G calls, no school will say no, and the B1G will target ACC schools. so let's just hope VT secures that AAU status before that day comes so we at least have a chance...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    I can't see that happening. It is too clean. College football realignment is every team and conference for themselves.

The Big 12 seems happier with fewer teams, mostly because Texas is happier that way. Maybe the others will convince them to add Louisville, because they feel safer in numbers.

Notre Dame seems fine with the new Big East. They get to participate in a very good conference for everything except football, even stealing bowl game slots from them.

The other conferences are probably going to take a while to get used to their new sizes.

I doubt the ACC or SEC are keen to get more members than 14 for a while. And the Big Ten seems very unlikely to. The Pac 12 has few good options for expanding more unless the Big 12 breaks up.

Seems likely that everything stops here for while, and realignment shifts to the Sunbelt, WAC, MAC, etc. JMU and ODU to the MAC, please!
    Without a Pete Rozelle to negotiate and place teams in various conferences, 4x64 won't happen. What you also pointed out is that the number of BCS schools has expanded over the last 3 years. Two things will happen - in the short term, it will be easier to buy these schools off, and just keep them as is. In the long term, the largest programs will again push to create a divide between themselves and the hangers on (much of the new Big East, anyone in the Big XII from anywhere beside TX or OK, anyone from the other conferences that is traditionally not very competitive, like Wash St, Wake Forest, Indiana or Vanderbilt)
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    no doubt 9 is the ideal, unfortunately that ship has sailed...unless we see 18, then we could have 2 9 team leagues share a TV deal, a championship and bowl tie-ins, but otherwise operate as 2 leagues for football (and for bball?). that said, if 18 did happen, the ACC as we know it would be history for one reason. if the B1G calls, no school will say no, and the B1G will target ACC schools. so let's just hope VT secures that AAU status before that day comes so we at least have a chance...
    No will leave acc IMHO.

can anyone tell me the FB W-L record for Wake Forrest versus UNC, Duke, UK, NW, Baylor, Stanford... over the last 30 years? It seems like there'd a be a website that would have such info but I've never seen it. I'm just curious how some of those schools stack up compared to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post

You nailed it. It is just a matter of time now and not as much time as people are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    You nailed it. It is just a matter of time now and not as much time as people are thinking.
    why?

This has been building for over a decade with the SEC and ACC on board. The PAC and the B1G have and will continue to move in this direction. The LSU Alabama national championship really hit them hard. Two teams from the same division from the same conference will erode the national interest. The SEC dominance is not a good thing for national interest. The ratings on that game in some key markets were terrible. The key markets being where the companies that advertise come from...they just won't pay for a regional sport. That is what is happening if the others don't catch up to the SEC soon!

In addition, there are many that want a more legitimate system to the National Championship. Oklahoma State like almost every year (there is one) deserved a shot. Many people hate this doesn't happen. It is just too political with ESPN campaigning for whomever they have a contract with at the moment. We all know they are blatant about it these days and their arrogance is catching up to them.

Lastly, the money. Conservative estimates say that it will bring in a Billion if we go to some type of playoff which includes the conference and possibly the division championships from Pods. They might not call it a playoff, but it will be a playoff without the name to keep the academics at bay.