Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66
  1. #1

    Join Date
    July 03, 2001
    Posts
    102,714

    So looking at the Big Dance, do you want that for FB?

    The final 8 teams are...

    #1 UK
    #9 Baylor

    #17 Lewisville
    #25 Florida

    #2 Syr
    #7 tOSU

    #4 UNC
    #6 KU

    Actually a relatively surprising final 8 to me aside from #17+25 playing for final four. Anyway, this is the model that people claim FB should have. So I am curious...

    Do you think think this a single loss tourney is the way to go?
    Do you think a #17 team that lost 7 more games than UK/Syr should have a shot at saying they're the best team in 2011-2012?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    October 14, 1999
    Posts
    9,829
    hey if 9th place BE UConn wons it all, throw out every argument.

    I've said for years that this is a dumb tournament - the best teams don't always get in.
    Crappy season? Just be good for 4 days and you're ok. Ask Western Kentucky. They went 12-18, yet play for the national title this year. Decent season? Win your conference? Ask Washington... they didnt get in.

    It's the same as all the Boise haters in football season. They HATE Boise cuz they win in a crappy conference. But they're OK with this tournament which lets in teams like WKU, South Dakota State, St Bonaventure.... C'mon - those teams have NO BUSINESS in a tournament to decide the national championship. Did Boise deserve a shot at MNC just for beating us, and playing nobody else all year? It's the same as South Dakota State. Who the F did they play, but they have a chance at the national title.

    Meanwhile, VT won 9 ACC games and 10 ACC games, finished 3rd in ACC, and didnt make it. First time for all of those in the ACC. -----> I am not saying that VT should have been in - different year, different debate.

    There is no standard by which to measure which teams should get in. There are horrible teams that make it, and other good ones that are left out. Western Kentucky was a bad, bad team this year. Had they played in ACC, they'd have won even less than they did. Meanwhile, Miami sits and watches. Miami would have beaten WKU 19 out of 20 times. But WKU played for the national title.

    Dumb tournament.

  3. #3
    IV_Hokie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by BobG View Post
    hey if 9th place BE UConn wons it all, throw out every argument.

    I've said for years that this is a dumb tournament - the best teams don't always get in.
    Crappy season? Just be good for 4 days and you're ok. Ask Western Kentucky. They went 12-18, yet play for the national title this year. Decent season? Win your conference? Ask Washington... they didnt get in.

    It's the same as all the Boise haters in football season. They HATE Boise cuz they win in a crappy conference. But they're OK with this tournament which lets in teams like WKU, South Dakota State, St Bonaventure.... C'mon - those teams have NO BUSINESS in a tournament to decide the national championship. Did Boise deserve a shot at MNC just for beating us, and playing nobody else all year? It's the same as South Dakota State. Who the F did they play, but they have a chance at the national title.

    Meanwhile, VT won 9 ACC games and 10 ACC games, finished 3rd in ACC, and didnt make it. First time for all of those in the ACC. -----> I am not saying that VT should have been in - different year, different debate.

    There is no standard by which to measure which teams should get in. There are horrible teams that make it, and other good ones that are left out. Western Kentucky was a bad, bad team this year. Had they played in ACC, they'd have won even less than they did. Meanwhile, Miami sits and watches. Miami would have beaten WKU 19 out of 20 times. But WKU played for the national title.

    Dumb tournament.
    ^^^What he said^^^

    It says something when the first and second rounds are the best. Yeah thats exactly what I want for football. For everyone to lose interest in the later rounds.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    October 19, 1999
    Posts
    1,890
    It is TIURNAMENT, which means whoever is playing the best this time of year goes far!

    Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    The final 8 teams are...

    #1 UK
    #9 Baylor

    #17 Lewisville
    #25 Florida

    #2 Syr
    #7 tOSU

    #4 UNC
    #6 KU

    Actually a relatively surprising final 8 to me aside from #17+25 playing for final four. Anyway, this is the model that people claim FB should have. So I am curious...

    Do you think think this a single loss tourney is the way to go?
    Do you think a #17 team that lost 7 more games than UK/Syr should have a shot at saying they're the best team in 2011-2012?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 21, 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    28,801
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHokie79 View Post
    It is TIURNAMENT, which means whoever is playing the best this time of year goes far!
    That CAN'T be right! I thought a playoff was far superior to the way the BCS is set up. I thought a playoff is the only way to determine the true "BEST" team in any given sport...If it is more about who is playing well at the right time (hello NYG), then it is no better than the BCS system of determining a football national champion; in fact, there will be those who will argue that a tournament is WORSE at determining the best team in any given sport (especially football)!

    Well........whadda ya know about dat?!?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    October 14, 1999
    Posts
    9,829
    I repeat... 12-18 Western Kentucky is in this tournament. 12-18.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    4,350
    Quote Originally Posted by HOKIERIT View Post
    That CAN'T be right! I thought a playoff was far superior to the way the BCS is set up. I thought a playoff is the only way to determine the true "BEST" team in any given sport...If it is more about who is playing well at the right time (hello NYG), then it is no better than the BCS system of determining a football national champion; in fact, there will be those who will argue that a tournament is WORSE at determining the best team in any given sport (especially football)!

    Well........whadda ya know about dat?!?

    Pretty obvious to me that the BCS does a better job of crowning the best team more often than the NCAA tourney does,

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 21, 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    28,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Hokie View Post
    Pretty obvious to me that the BCS does a better job of crowning the best team more often than the NCAA tourney does,
    I HOPE you guys know that I was kidding and making fun of the whole IDEA that a tournament (ANY tournament) does anything more than decide the "hottest" team at tournament time!

  9. #9
    I've never considered the tournament winner to automatically be the best in the country. I mean really. Was NCState the best team in the country they year they won the NCAA tournament under Valvano? Of course. However, they were the hottest team in the country the last 4 weeks of the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    The final 8 teams are...

    #1 UK
    #9 Baylor

    #17 Lewisville
    #25 Florida

    #2 Syr
    #7 tOSU

    #4 UNC
    #6 KU

    Actually a relatively surprising final 8 to me aside from #17+25 playing for final four. Anyway, this is the model that people claim FB should have. So I am curious...

    Do you think think this a single loss tourney is the way to go?
    Do you think a #17 team that lost 7 more games than UK/Syr should have a shot at saying they're the best team in 2011-2012?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by HOKIERIT View Post
    I HOPE you guys know that I was kidding and making fun of the whole IDEA that a tournament (ANY tournament) does anything more than decide the "hottest" team at tournament time!
    I definitely picked up on it. Major league baseball used to be the closest to actually getting the best team as champion. But that was before baseball started adding all the rounds of preliminary playoffs.

    In the old days, the American League champion was the best in their league, and the same for the National League. Sometimes the best team didn't win the WS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •