Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    The whole idea is impractical because of the cost and it has to be disruptive to academics. Take what should be two or three hours out of the day for practice and turn it into an all day road trip - yeah, that makes sense.
    I would respectfully disagree. They can get plenty of things done during bus time, whether it be classroom practice time of just being around each other. Besides, it's just a day. They may have gotten more time together than they would have in C'ville. And no way it costs as much as some posts in this thread.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

I don't like it. If there is one thing college football does not need it is more ways to exploit the student athletes for the benefit of the school. Busing them around in the off-season to enhance the brand is not what they signed on for.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    I would respectfully disagree. They can get plenty of things done during bus time, whether it be classroom practice time of just being around each other. Besides, it's just a day. They may have gotten more time together than they would have in C'ville. And no way it costs as much as some posts in this thread.
    I'll respectfully disagree back at ya.

I doubt a decent classroom atmosphere can be accomplished on a bus ride and, even if a conducive instructional atmosphere could be approached, it would not be as beneficial as having a study session or meeting in a real classroom. And I don't think it's just one day. Isn't at least one more of these scheduled?? Someone said it rained during the practice?? Spring practice in the rain isn't an ideal situation. Spring practice is for instruction, for conducting experiments, installing new offensive or defensive schemes. Hard to be instructional when the weather isn't ideal. But you're committed to practice on a road trip like this no matter what the weather is like. My guess is the practice that day in Fairfax was way below what it could have been if it was in Cville on a day when the weather co-operated.

I know London is willing to try anything to develop UVA football into something like VT, but these road trip practices are the acts of a desperate man. Beamer didn't have to pull PR stunts like these road trips. All he did was start winning consistently.

Gobbler, you are correct. The team bus travelling along U.S. Rt 29 from The Hook to the suburbs of Northern Virginia provides an excellent moving laboratory for the study of Socio-Cultural Anthropology.

didn't Einstein do thought experiments on a bus? Or was that a train?

mandatory school busing in college football. What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabell Massie IV View Post
    Gobbler, you are correct. The team bus travelling along U.S. Rt 29 from The Hook to the suburbs of Northern Virginia provides an excellent moving laboratory for the study of Socio-Cultural Anthropology.
    Cabell..I was wondering what the boys at the club thought of your footballers actually traveling by bus...seems so bourgeois!! Something about wine and brie served on a bus conjures up more an image of Ripple and Cheddar. I hope the boys aren't scarred for life!
    Last edited by HOKIERIT; Mon Mar 26 2012 at 08:02 PM.