Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ACC football is an inferior product. That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SECJesse View Post
    ACC football is an inferior product. That's the problem.
    Player wise that is not true...many going to the NFL. However, the ACC has really lacked in the head coaching department. Miami has been a disaster, Groh at UVa...well you know the story, Bobby Bowden coached too long, Tommy Bowden was a lot hope without results, Butch was cheating to get players etc.

However, considering the schools history in football prior to them getting there, Beamer, Grobe and I think eventually O'Brien have all done well. I am concerned about the long run with Groh's proteges of London and Golden, but maybe they learned what not to do, but that usually is not the case. Most good or even great coaches get taught by other good and great coaches. The ACC can turn this around simply because there are many good recruits in their area (again NFL numbers), but we have to have better coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Player wise that is not true...many going to the NFL. However, the ACC has really lacked in the head coaching department. Miami has been a disaster, Groh at UVa...well you know the story, Bobby Bowden coached too long, Tommy Bowden was a lot hope without results, Butch was cheating to get players etc.

However, considering the schools history in football prior to them getting there, Beamer, Grobe and I think eventually O'Brien have all done well. I am concerned about the long run with Groh's proteges of London and Golden, but maybe they learned what not to do, but that usually is not the case. Most good or even great coaches get taught by other good and great coaches. The ACC can turn this around simply because there are many good recruits in their area (again NFL numbers), but we have to have better coaches.
    ACC does produce a good number of NFL players. The ACC's problem seems to be the number of private schools and basketball-first schools when compared to other BCS conferences. Duke football is an annual embarrassment to the ACC. Schools like Miami and Maryland (in NFL towns) seldom sell out their stadiums. Maybe because they fans in those areas don't care that much about college football. Georgia Tech does okay for being in a NFL town, but I've noticed empty seats there and uninterested fans. Wake, even though they try to put competitive teams on the field and have made facility improvements, still has the smallest undergrad enrollment of BCS schools and probably FBS schools. Half the schools in the ACC either have luke warm fan bases or aren't committed to football as much as they are to men's basketball. Add Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the mix, and it appears that things won't improve since Cuse is another basketball-first school and Pittsburgh normally plays in front of an half empty professional stadium where the fans are waiting for Sunday's Steelers game.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    ACC does produce a good number of NFL players. The ACC's problem seems to be the number of private schools and basketball-first schools when compared to other BCS conferences. Duke football is an annual embarrassment to the ACC. Schools like Miami and Maryland (in NFL towns) seldom sell out their stadiums. Maybe because they fans in those areas don't care that much about college football. Georgia Tech does okay for being in a NFL town, but I've noticed empty seats there and uninterested fans. Wake, even though they try to put competitive teams on the field and have made facility improvements, still has the smallest undergrad enrollment of BCS schools and probably FBS schools. Half the schools in the ACC either have luke warm fan bases or aren't committed to football as much as they are to men's basketball. Add Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the mix, and it appears that things won't improve since Cuse is another basketball-first school and Pittsburgh normally plays in front of an half empty professional stadium where the fans are waiting for Sunday's Steelers game.
    i can't argue with any of that, BUT, being a glass half full kind of guy, at least 'cuse and Pitt have a history of football success form their independent days to fall back on and hopefully grow on when they improve their schedule and their TV exposure in the ACC...

it's just too bad Pitt moved football off campus, a stadium in Oakland would help them so much IMO...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

You can bet the SEC's new deal will exceed $20 mil per member. The ACC just is too... Naive? provincial? something - to play with the big boys in college football. If the ACC were as smart as they should be,they would emphasize the allure of carrying viewership for two sports seasons - football AND basketball - unlike some of the conferences (hello SEC & Pac 12?!?).

The problem is that the ACC doesn't appear to be doing that. or else they are just pathetically weak in negotiating.

Jokingly, I guess that lucrative WVa satellite dish market is what put the Big 12 over the top.

I still don't understand why they didn't just offer SMU or UofHouston instead of WVa. It's not like they gained any recognizable market share.

You bring up good points. Not to mention the public university argument. When you objectively appraise the ACC for football you see...

Duke has a token team, they live off bowl revenue from the other schools.
    Wake has a tiny enrollment and a tiny alum base. Grobe does well with what he has, but come on, they're not built for long term football success.
    Boston College does everything so focused on being ultra-cheap that they amaze you by even fielding a winning team. Their fan base has ZERO interest in the ACC and never will.
    Miami is a pro town, and unless the Canes are 11-1 every year, they don't give a flip about them. Even then, it's only for visiting teams that are top ten calibre.

I mean, I could go on and on, but there's a third of the conference that is hopeless. That's not even getting into the charter schools that much.

If the ACC can manage to only be the 2nd worst football BCS conference, they should consider that a success.

So the ACC will go from being $7 mil back to 'only' $5 mil back? Hip hip hooray! Seriously, that is disconcerting.

As for Raycom, it was quaint to 'Sail With The Pilot' back in the 70's, but their production quality for football is not as good as many HS camera crews. It is horrible to the point of making me want to change the channel for matchups I anticipated. The basketball is bad, too. Awful announcers, amateurish production values. It's just awful. A dozen freshman from VT's theatre Arts program could do better.

Virginia Tech, Florida State, Clemson and NC State have a legitimate chance to become football powers in my humble opinion. That's not the SEC, but if they all were as good as VT...it would not be that far off. The SEC has plenty of teams that lose to the ACC, but not their top tier teams of a given year.

We might have better hoops but I don't believe hoops carries nearly as many tv sets. I won't pretend to do the magical # viewers/week comparison but I'm guessing FB simply brings more $ to the networks right now.

top 25 teams (if you count Syr/Pitt in the mix)...
    2008: ACC... 6; SEC... 0
    2009: ACC... 4; SEC... 1
    2010: ACC... 5; SEC... 2
    2011: ACC... 4; SEC... 3

Ratings wise that's not true. The ACC even with most of our games on ESPN draws bigger Neilson ratings than anyone but the SEC and Big 10. We should be able to land a contract that reflects that.