Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

NCAA tournament selection committee "nitty gritty" report...

We hear all about the NCAA committee's "nitty gritty" report which is what guides the committe in selecting teams and comparing teams...I somehow found myself in possession of a copy of the report that was just used to select teams last weekend and it brings up even more questions about how some of the teams got into the tournament and how some were left out. Before, by using similar models, one could reasonably make a case about such-and-such team but we never knew if that aligned 100% with how the committee was evaluating the teams, based on the reports and facts and all they were using. With this report now, there is no hidden uncertainty. I know they have a hard job but looking at the precise, exact same facts and figures they used only makes me more puzzled about why some teams are in and not others.....There are a few teams that are inexplicable with how they were given the fate they were given. Very strange....Its time for a blind draw, let everyone in or just allow conference winners into the field so there are no complaints.Take the human element of the selection out of the system please. Because looking at this report makes it clear that everything just isnt adding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Zeke Vodka View Post
    We hear all about the NCAA committee's "nitty gritty" report which is what guides the committe in selecting teams and comparing teams...I somehow found myself in possession of a copy of the report that was just used to select teams last weekend and it brings up even more questions about how some of the teams got into the tournament and how some were left out. Before, by using similar models, one could reasonably make a case about such-and-such team but we never knew if that aligned 100% with how the committee was evaluating the teams, based on the reports and facts and all they were using. With this report now, there is no hidden uncertainty. I know they have a hard job but looking at the precise, exact same facts and figures they used only makes me more puzzled about why some teams are in and not others.....There are a few teams that are inexplicable with how they were given the fate they were given. Very strange....Its time for a blind draw, let everyone in or just allow conference winners into the field so there are no complaints.Take the human element of the selection out of the system please. Because looking at this report makes it clear that everything just isnt adding up.
    Unfortunately, this is more expected than surprising. I never paid attention to the "snubs" until VT was one of them for several straight years. But after paying attention to the selection committee decisions for several years now.... I don't know how any logical person could conclude anything different than you did. I am 100% on board with eliminating the human element from the selection process.... and have been saying so for several weeks on here, with typical "there is no conspiracy against VT, you are crazy" responses. It isn't a conspiracy against VT.... it is just a ridiculously poor process for determining which teams belong in the tournament and which teams don't. Some people are blind to this fact because the tournament itself is still a very good product..... but that certainly doesn't justify certain teams being screwed over each and every year

Are you able to share an example or examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Hokie 95 View Post
    Yeah, I am curious to know who should have been in over whom this season........as has been discussed before, it seems to me that when you get to the "bubble" crowd, you have a 50/50 shot or so of getting in; therefore, the goal is to avoid the "bubble" crowd. With that said, somebody will then ask, "OK, how do I avoid the bubble crowd?".......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    Yeah, I am curious to know who should have been in over whom this season........as has been discussed before, it seems to me that when you get to the "bubble" crowd, you have a 50/50 shot or so of getting in; therefore, the goal is to avoid the "bubble" crowd. With that said, somebody will then ask, "OK, how do I avoid the bubble crowd?".......
    I agree. Not many that were left out really had a great reason as to why they should have been in. I don't think there should have been more than 48 teams this season.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    In the ACC there are only 2 ways to avoid the bubble: Win the ACC Tourney or alternatively finish with an RPI of 40 or lower which btw is almost always low enough to get you ranked. It's really that simple. Under those circumstances you are in and there is nothing the arbitrary, capricious, and obviously biased donkeys on the selection committee can do about it.
    May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
    Robert A. Heinlein

marshall comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Hokie 95 View Post
    I'd be really curious about Iona in comparison to Miami or Drexel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Zeke Vodka View Post
    This is going to sound ridiculous but I'd actually be in favor of just taking the automatic qualifiers and then the next highest RPI teams for the remaining slots. I know that would be a silly way of determining qualifiers since the RPI ranking system is pretty shoddy. But at least you would have a standard entry criteria. Everyone knows what it is and there is a reason why you did or did not get included in the tournament. The human element needs to be removed. If RPI is the determining factor then teams can try to schedule to game the RPI (like C-USA does) and try to get in that way. It's not a perfect system but its better than what we have now.
    Last edited by HokieHigh; Mon Mar 19 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieHigh View Post
    This is going to sound ridiculous but I'd actually be in favor of just taking the automatic qualifiers and then the next highest RPI teams for the remaining slots. I know that would be a silly way of determining qualifiers since the RPI ranking system is pretty shoddy. But at least you would have a standard entry criteria. Everyone knows what it is and there is a reason why you did or did not get included in the tournament. The human element needs to be removed. If RPI is the determining factor then teams can try to schedule to game the RPI (like C-USA does) and try to get in that. It's not a perfect system but its better than what we have now.
    Yep. It would be better. Because its transparent (everyone knows what is required) and its fair (everyone is judged by the same formula). As ridiculous as the RPI is, the selection committee is one of the few things imaginable that is even more ridiculous.