Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Interesting comment from Norfolk State Coach....

(As told by one of the announcers.) He likes to recruit the city kids and finds it EASY. Huh? Thus, all those kids from NYC. The explanation was after living all their lives around concrete, they really love to go to a place where they see grass and trees. Who would have thunk it?

Still an urban area, though.

Maybe they draw the line at seeing cows..........

Chip Hilton has never been to Norfolk State

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Hilton View Post
    (As told by one of the announcers.) He likes to recruit the city kids and finds it EASY. Huh? Thus, all those kids from NYC. The explanation was after living all their lives around concrete, they really love to go to a place where they see grass and trees. Who would have thunk it?
    If you think there is any correlation between that locale and what we call "rural"

Banned
    I have never been to Norfolk State. Have you been there? And have you been to New York City? Can you compare the two for me? I have been to New York City several times. And although I've spent a lot of time in the Tidewater area, I've never spent extended time in Norfolk. I just found it very curious that a bunch of NYC kids would love Norfolk and the grass/trees. It doesn't seem like a very exciting place to me. And the culture in Tidewater is very southern (that much I know). I would think those kids would find it uncomfortable once they venture off campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Hilton View Post
    And thus why I have never bought the CC view that we are a tough sell for hoops. VCU kicks tail, Norfolk State pulls of an historic victory, and VT can't even make the tourney.

Well, Norfolk is kinda city, they're not that much into grass and trees, at least not like provided in Blacksburg. Just speculating. Hard to know what kids motivation is, One might be getting away from home, I can see NS being kind of nice, close to the water, open air kinda place, straight shot to home on I95. Gawd forbid, even get into that Southern thing.
    For 26 laps back in the spring of 1960, he was BEHIND me, right there in my rearview mirror, that red, white and blue STP: James Massey (characterized in a song by Wild Ponies)

Norfolk State's web site: "Norfolk State University is a public, urban, comprehensive University located in Norfolk, Virginia."

VCU's web site: "Premier Urban University"

You really do need to swing through Norfolk sometime...it ain't Blacksburg.

Quote Originally Posted by I love VT! View Post
    Norfolk State's web site: "Norfolk State University is a public, urban, comprehensive University located in Norfolk, Virginia."

VCU's web site: "Premier Urban University"

You really do need to swing through Norfolk sometime...it ain't Blacksburg.
    VT is obviously better, but if anyone thinks Norfolk State has any sort of recruiting edge on VT, they're nuts.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

And that's Norfolk??? LOL