Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shut Up Brent View Post
    Right now, yeah, GT is our biggest threat. Maybe UVa, if they can take advantage while UNC and Miami are down.
    UVA is no threat.
    Where in the world is PhotoHokieNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    UVA is no threat.
    After last year's game, they're no threat on the field. But in the standings, they are at least a minor threat.

I think VT will hold psychological dominance over UVa on the field for at least another 4-5 years, especially after last season's performance. VT broke them. UVa is a soft team to begin with, and going into that game with the hype they had, with the hopes they had, to be broken that badly at home: it's gotta suck for them. Because it sure was pretty friggin' awesome for us.

That said, if VT stumbles in the Coastal standings, UVa is a good enough team to challenge VT's first place position. The scenario where VT drops two conference games in a season and UVa's only conference loss is to VT is within the realm of possibility.

Miami got sanctioned already?
    "Revolution rock, it is a brand new rock. A bad, bad rock, this here revolution rock."

They are a threat to our Nat champ and ACC champ hopes. Only takes the loss of 1 or 2 recruits (per year) to set you back. Remember our OL misses? You don't win a lot of ACC champs having to play true and redshirt freshmen like we had to at WR either. (I know they were good.)

By the simple fact that Ceelo is much less of an abrasive individual than the Chess-Master/Pilot the Hoos will improve. The Heels may have hired their best coach since Mack Brown...and Fedora may not use Chapel Hill as a stepping stone. Cutliffe has Duke playing better, Golden will improve the Canes, Johnson's Veer Attack will continue to be an issue, and Pitt will be decent once they adjust. The Coastal will not be getting easier, because it does not appear the NCAA sanctions against UNC (and Miami TBA) will be crippling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shut Up Brent View Post
    Really? UNC was the big threat in the Coastal?

I never, ever felt that way. UNC was a consistent 4th place team in the ACC Coastal under Butch. They got VT the one time based on an unusual fumble. Those things happen in games. I know, I know, UNC had a ton of talent in '10. But Butch would have uncoached them into a 4th place finish, again, because that's what Butch does. In reality, I think UNC performed as well or better without all those suspended players in 2010 because of the investigation giving them motivation and a push.

Yes, UNC was a recruiting threat. They were not a threat on the field or in the standings. UNC's primary threat to VT was to take enough talent away from VT, do nothing with them on the field or in the standings, but keep VT at a lower level than VT could have achieved with some of those players.

In that sense, it's a good thing that UNC has been knocked off its recruiting pedestal. But as far as advantages for VT in this mess, that's about it.
    Agree. Not quite sure how a team that has never finished above .500 or above 3rd place in the division since expansion qualifies as the toughest Coastal hurdle, especially when they basically had to kick their entire program to the curb and start over. UNC may beat VT every now and then, but I do not recall a VT-UNC game that decided the Coastal title the way VT-Miami, VT-UVA, or VT-GT games have.

If UNC ever decided to REALLY care about football, they would be dangerous (and by REALLY care, I mean by pursuing someone like Urban Meyer, not Butch Davis). But they aren't quite there yet.

UNC got off way too easy. Should have been completely slammed, but they got off really easy. It wasn't just some boosters going behind the coaching staff to pay players, but their coaching staff was activily funneling cash to their players.

NCAA is corrupt! How much money did UNC pay for that "slap on the wrist?"
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

18+1=polite disagry

18 starters back including the entire Gah.Tech oLine and all of their much ballyhooed Flex-Bone battery less one A-back return. Their 43rd nationally ranked Total D likewise fields 9 returning starters and I for one look at this as the seminal Coastal game in 2011. (Miami is never quite back; though they will go to physical war vs. Vah.Tech, U.N.C. needs a year to retool with the new Staff --both need orange and maroon help to win)

Only caveat being taking 2 Atlantic L's @ Klempson and home vs. F.S.U.

All of that is code for the need for Bud Stout to recover the services of B.Taylor at no less than 100% full-speed. VT has not enjoyed a better Flex-Bone specific Mike.

out-
    b-st.

'не говорите хороший бой

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    UVA is no threat.
    They syphon off talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore Hokie View Post
    They syphon off talent.

Well, in order to syphon something your have to start by sucking so they've got that going for them.