Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Could it be that Stiney is actually a good coach?

Interview with Bob Slowikowski -- whose one TD catch was a 72 yarder from MV1 versus WVU.

Slowikowski: Stiney was a great coach. He has lots of energy and lots of knowledge. He made you feel comfortable as a young kid in a new environment. He liked to joke around but you also knew when it was time to be serious. I still keep in touch with coach and text him a few times during the season to congratulate on some big victories.

Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    Interview with Bob Slowikowski -- whose one TD catch was a 72 yarder from MV1 versus WVU.

Slowikowski: Stiney was a great coach. He has lots of energy and lots of knowledge. He made you feel comfortable as a young kid in a new environment. He liked to joke around but you also knew when it was time to be serious. I still keep in touch with coach and text him a few times during the season to congratulate on some big victories.
    He has at least some redeeming value. It would be beyond sad if we couldn't think of a few nice things to say about the guy. I think he is underrated by most on this board but I am not convinced he is OC material.
    __
    The Dude Abides

I've said for years that Beamer is holding Stiney back. That's why Beamer always defends him to the max. Beamer knows it's Beamer's "fault" for the offense. This is Beamers team, he's the man.
    When Beamer is no longer HC at VT, and the new HC, hopefully BF, gives Stiney some freedom - Stiney will surprise most Hokie fans.

How's that for a theory and a prediction ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie

Stiney's a good coach. Not a fantastic playcaller, and not a good postgame soundbite. But seems to be a very good positon coach, an ace recruiter, and clearly knows his stuff. Definitely agree that he is limited by Beamer's system and philosophy in a way that makes him harder to judge than Bud.

I go back and forth on whether he'd be a good head coach at VT. Right now, I don't think so, but ask me again tomorrow and I might feel different. It's a real coinflip IMO.

Frank Beamer thinks so.
    Give me crowd noise and cannons.
    -Dave Woods, Richmond

Surely you jest.

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandHokie View Post
    Stiney's a good coach. Not a fantastic playcaller, and not a good postgame soundbite. But seems to be a very good positon coach, an ace recruiter, and clearly knows his stuff. Definitely agree that he is limited by Beamer's system and philosophy in a way that makes him harder to judge than Bud.

I go back and forth on whether he'd be a good head coach at VT. Right now, I don't think so, but ask me again tomorrow and I might feel different. It's a real coinflip IMO.
    Decent recruiter, poor gameday coach, poor play designer and more importantly, a poor OL architect. Why he still has a position on this staff is a mystery.

Possibly, but he's definitely not a good play caller.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouGobbler View Post
    He has at least some redeeming value. It would be beyond sad if we couldn't think of a few nice things to say about the guy. I think he is underrated by most on this board but I am not convinced he is OC material.
    Good person; Good coach; Good motivator. He never learned under an offensive "system" but it's obvious he can't create a cohesive system himself. I think he really understands the game from a technical perspective but lacks the "feel" of a good OC to go left when the X's and O's say go right.

Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post

Yes, but you will never convince the fans that think otherwise any different. People have their opinions and will stick to them til the end, short of a MNC and even than most wouldn't give credit.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    I've said for years that Beamer is holding Stiney back. That's why Beamer always defends him to the max. Beamer knows it's Beamer's "fault" for the offense. This is Beamers team, he's the man.
    When Beamer is no longer HC at VT, and the new HC, hopefully BF, gives Stiney some freedom - Stiney will surprise most Hokie fans.

How's that for a theory and a prediction ? ? ?
    I've been feeling that way the last few years myself. I still have my doubts about some aspects of his "game" but at this point I think the offense is Beamer's. Stiney/O'Cain are puppets on a string trying to do the best they can with what they are "allowed."