Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

They say that good teams, make their own luck - however, we have bad luck before we ever step on the court. NC_Hokie, I think we're on the exact same page. Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    Take off the foil hat -- there is no conspiracy to keep VT out of the tournament. Each year the lead 1 or 2 determinants are different becasue the auto bids shake out differently and the depth and quality of the at large pool varies. They have to have 1 or 2 metrics that clearly differentiate the teams so they can make a selection. It has nothing to do with VT being snubed by a biased selection committee. It has to do with us not meeting enough of the key criteria that year. So please stop this whining about past snubs
    Clueless as usual. Some of your posts make a lot in here wonder if you and Mel Gibson have discussions weekly

You naively assume there is or ever has been some absolute standard that treats the non tourney cash cows exactly like the cash cows.

And if you were doing it, what would seem "fair" within making the money the NCAA is committed to making, would seem unfair to others and they would call you names.

I challenge you to find ANY coach at ANY other program in this country that has had to endure the bad luck and adversity that Seth Greenberg has had to deal with.

Not to mention on the court. In 2008 a half-court desperation heave by Xavier that went in kept us out of the NCAA tournament that year. If that shot had missed ... like it does 99 out of 100 times ... then we'd have beaten the RPI's #10 ranked team at the end of the year on a neutral court.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefan5 View Post
    Clueless as usual. Some of your posts make a lot in here wonder if you and Mel Gibson have discussions weekly
    Serious question - do you contribute anything to this board besides calling people you disagree with "clueless" or "idiots?"

That post you called "clueless" was far from it. God forbid you actually address any of his points rather than just personally attack him. I'm honestly surprised you have been TOSed yet.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    I challenge you to find ANY coach at ANY other program in this country that has had to endure the bad luck and adversity that Seth Greenberg has had to deal with.
    At some point "bad luck" simply has to stop being an excuse for not making the thing. If we're going to put so much value in snakebites, bad juju, or any other variation of the word "magic" then maybe SG is just unnaturally "cursed" for life and we should part ways with him and the cartoon raincloud that follows him around.

At some point, you have to start making the darn thing, you just do.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    Take off the foil hat -- there is no conspiracy to keep VT out of the tournament. Each year the lead 1 or 2 determinants are different becasue the auto bids shake out differently and the depth and quality of the at large pool varies. They have to have 1 or 2 metrics that clearly differentiate the teams so they can make a selection. It has nothing to do with VT being snubed by a biased selection committee. It has to do with us not meeting enough of the key criteria that year. So please stop this whining about past snubs
    Exactly. VT isn't relevant enough in the bball world to warrant a conspiracy against the program. The bubble is different each and every season. If they used the same criteria this season as in past seasons, they wouldn't be able to come up with much more than 40 teams. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. The committee has to use different arguments every year because those last couple of teams change every year.
    Last edited by reestuart; Wed Mar 07 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

No you don't....Tech has gone decades without making the NCAA in the past. There are a lot of schools out there that make it less than we do. I think Northwestern has a chance to make the tournament for the first time in their history. There is nothing that guarantees Tech will make the tournament....especially just changing coaches.
    "I'm gonna be a happy idiot and struggle for the legal tender" - Jackson Browne

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefan5 View Post
    You're kidding right? Name one coach that has had the crap thrown at him off court that SG has.
    Take both Plumlees, Ryan Kelly and Seth Curry off of Duke's team due to injuiries...you still think Duke wins 23 games? That's essentially what happened last year with no Chaney, Raines, JTT, and Zo.

This year...it would be like FSU losing James (Davila), Snaer (JTT), and having Dulkys(Hudson) play on one leg all year.

I don't think ANY other program (except Texas A&M this year...and they were below .500) have had as many injuries as we've had the last two years.